TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharging rate

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Milin1609, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

I have finished my first half of the long trip from Kinhsland,GA to Chicago,IL. Stopped at several superchargers along the way. Found that the charging rate varies a lot. Have seen as high as 300 A to as low as 130A when battery is around 50% charged. It changes the charging time drastically. Any explanation???

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Where there others using the Superchargers at the lower amp locations? Supercharger "terminals" are paired so there are actually 2 per Supercharger. If you get there after someone else has already started you'll get significantly less amperage until their amperage starts tapering toward being "full".

Otherwise, yes, there are some that can have feed issues with the transformer connections and should be reported to the mothership. Even though they are monitoring them all, giving them a call is helpful.

Cheers!

• Like x 1
  3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

If that is the case, you could try a different Supercharger. The slower charging rate behavior happened to me about two times so far, and moving my car to a different one resolved the issue. Once there were no other cars at the Supercharger center, and moving from one of the B Superchargers to an A one (the labels are near the bottom) allowed a much faster charging rate. That was about a year ago though at the Charlotte, North Carolina location.

Note that as your driving range increases beyond approximately 50% at Superchargers, the charging rate will decrease for battery health reasons.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yup. That's what I'm talking about. If there's someone already at an "A" or "B" of a certain number, then go to a different number. If not, then something is wrong with it and you should report it to Tesla and move to a different number anyway. If they are all running low then there's something wrong with the feed from the transformer and this should also be reported to Tesla.