Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla will start to increase/decrease the price of a SCer location in response to demand.

I was at Plainview, NY SCer nearly 2 weeks ago and it was the 1st time I had to "wait" for an available stall since back in the day at Syosset, NY SCer (which is no longer available to the public).

I put the word wait in quotations b/c I only waited several seconds (less than a minute) before a car pulled out and a stall became available -- so it ALMOST doesn't count as waiting... even though it technically is.

the same thing used to happen in Syosset, I'd pull up and all the SCer stalls would be occupied, but after a minute or two someone would come out and move their car so I can charge. that location always needed more stalls. and should be revived and expanded IMO.

Meanwhile, even with one SCer stall available, though, you still don't get great charging speeds.. which doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.. but at least you can charge.

I shudder to think what SCer congestion will do to extended multi-day road trips... I drove from NYC to to Naples, Florida 3 years ago and SCer congestion was almost not at all a problem.. (on the way home, heading north either Glen Allen, or Rocky Mount, VA -- I forget which at the moment -- had stalls that were covered in mounds of snow, or ICEd, or had other Model Ss charging. but we did find a stall we could use in the end.)

it made me sweat a little, being confronted with the reality of non-availability of SCers.. and having a bit of a schedule to adhere to.

also, the way home is never as fun as the way down.

last time I checked with local installer it was 20+ to 30+ years.
You have to realize that not only climate affect pay-offs for solar but also local regulations.
For example, WI does not provide any additional incentive to buy electric cars, but contrary charges 100 bucks per year extra 9to cover road damage). Actually i think it is fair.
The federal government currently offers an investment tax credit, that reduces the price by 30%.

EVs are awesome for any location so long as you have a place to charge at work or at night. If you’re dependent on SCs or any local third party providers, then your experience will vary. I don’t get saying that they’re not financially viable when that can be said for any car that isn’t an econobox junker. EVs provide a superior driving experience, the fact that they’re generally cheaper to use on a day to day basis than a comparable ICE is just a very nice bonus.

Are electric rates posted generation rates or generation plus delivery (what is actually paid/kWh)? Geographical location makes big differences, but some posted rates seem pretty low.
In my case I do not pay the utility rate as I have solar panels. While the rate is 22-23 cents/kWh here on Cape Cod, I pay between one and five cents. I charge at home (24 amp/240V) on a daily basis but take advantage of free SCs on trips or whenever the opportunity arises. I do not believe SCs are only for trips. They are for charging Teslas. I would not have purchased a Tesla had I not previously installed solar panels or if I did not get free SC use. Also, some posts compare only the cost of gasoline vs. electricity when questioning the economics of EVs. Oil changes, exhaust maintenance, antifreeze, etc., seem to be ignored, not to mention emissions (and here in MA we get charged the same for annual inspections as ICE cars for a lot less work, i.e. emission test is N/A). I love my MS but if I were to consider only fuel/energy cost per mile, I would have stayed with the Prius I traded in.

According to Pacific Power's website, the US national average COMMERCIAL power rate is 10.74 cents/kWh.
Prices range from 7.16 to 24.96 (probably Hawaii) cents per kWh.

17645-20_UtilityRateMap_Commercial_F.jpg

Commercial Price Comparison

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Prices don't vary by state anymore, only by method of charge calculation (by minute or by kWh).

Supercharging

I got lambasted for this earlier - the new pricing is cryptic but note this on the page:

Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen.

It took me several readings of the page to even notice it.

Last edited:
According to Pacific Power's website, the US national average COMMERCIAL power rate is 10.74 cents/kWh.

And of course California is the highest. I’ll gladly pay $0.15 a kw. Flat rate. Don’t give me first 300kw at $0.15 and the. The next kw at $100!

Reactions: Glamisduner

Since all these states are connected to "the grid", why don't we just open up enough capacity in OK to power the nation at $0.0763/kWh?
;)
Hell, I'd give 'em $0.08/kWh- keep the change!

Reactions: TT97
I got lambasted for this earlier - the new pricing is cryptic but note this on the page:

Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen.

It took me several readings of the page to even notice it.

Oops, I totally missed that. Post deleted to help prevent more bad info.

Reactions: TT97