Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I didn't read all of the 18 pages, my own logic when picking the AWD version was this:

1) The cheapest comparable performance ICE car would be Kia Stinger GT2, around the same price.
2) Stinger GT2's EPA combined gas mileage is about 22MPG
3) 22MPG @ $2.50/gallon premium = about 11 cents per mile.
4) My electricity rate is about 13 cents per kW all in (distribution fees, yadi yada fees, actual electricity costs)
5) My cost per mile in the AWD Model 3 = about 3-4 cents per mile depending on the outside temperature (230w ~ 300w per mile)
6) Gas would have to be around $0.91/gallon to get even with my car. Even then I still have to pay for oil changes and other ICE related maintenance that EVs don't.

Of course if your desire is the cheapest cost per mile then you should buy a Mitsubishi Mirage base manual, which I've seen as low as $8600 new on Autotrader.

I find states like PA and NJ where they charge by the minute and wattage to be more economical than fixed rates. Any thoughts on this?
Absolutely. I tried to stretch best I could between Bristol, TN and Carlisle, PA. I'd need to dig out the details to be certain but the cost difference on top even from PA was maybe 35%, maybe more? On the flip side when I did stop in Lexington, VA I let it ride to near the very top while we were having breakfast without the extra cost per kWh concerns that you get for per min SC. Normally at a per min SC I plan around not going much past 80%, basically avoiding approaching 30kW rate or below.

Reactions: Ciditad