Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fine. You got me. Updates are liked. But not anything they did with pricing. Mucking with pricing on colors, options. Discounts. Etc. Keep saying no more free super charging and then they kept coming back to give away 6 months. $100. Lifetime with referral. Etc. All BS.

Yes. they changed the referral plan over and over, but they always honored whatever the referral program offered at the time.

I was going to say more, but I agree - this should be your last Tesla.

Honestly, it’s probably long overdue. They probably stuck with the free unlimited SCing too long too. I expect SCs bled money for Tesla; not only do they have to pay for the electricity, but also installation, maintenance, monitoring, etc. With the amount of power those things could pump out and the demand charges that power companies generally charge commercial entities for, they still might not be even breaking even, even after the current price hikes.

Have to agree with the detractors,..finally.
I was very pro-Tesla. But the new SC rates will be the final nail. I suppose they could do an about-face, but I don't see it happening.
First, I espoused the innovation of AP. then the competition caught up.
Then I said - 'well, the updates improve the car every month or so' - well, sometimes they make the car worse.
Then I said - Never go to the gas station again. To which Idle Fees put a dent in that argument.
Now there is the MPG vs kWh discrepancy.
With innovation making its way into other manufacturers, such as Lane Keeping, Smart Cruise, Emergency Braking (that works), Auto Park and practically any other lauded feature that Tesla used to have an edge on, that story has dissipated as well..

I miss my Chevy Volt more and more each day :(

Honestly, it’s probably long overdue. They probably stuck with the free unlimited SCing too long too. I expect SCs bled money for Tesla; not only do they have to pay for the electricity, but also installation, maintenance, monitoring, etc. With the amount of power those things could pump out and the demand charges that power companies generally charge commercial entities for, they still might not be even breaking even, even after the current price hikes.
That is my take too. I just hope that batteries will turn the tide.

I can't imagine most people are going to be really affected by Supercharger rates. I'd probably use one about 3 - 4 time a year, maybe. I'm going to guess that 95%+ of charging is done at home.

True. Also true is that most of the people own both an EV and an ICE. So which one should they take on road trips? Not sure it is going to be the slower-but-more-expensive-to-refill one.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Can you cite were Tesla said it'd be free forever (especially to all future buyers of all models?)

3A36D3B2-20D8-4514-BCCA-B5D4378DD773.jpeg

Yes. they changed the referral plan over and over, but they always honored whatever the referral program offered at the time.

I was going to say more, but I agree - this should be your last Tesla.

I agree with you too as well. The arguments for owning a Tesla compared to other cars is getting weaker and weaker.

Sales pitch used to be that you got a big rebate + lower electricity + maintenance + insurance costs. Now the sales pitch is that it is a cool car if you can afford the high ticket price + high running costs.

Good morning,

I always want everyone else to see what I see, what's happening in our world. I get that's not realistic.

I ignored the legitimate concerns of those who bought the car for their reasons different than mine, and that the increase in SC costs was a bummer for them. Not cool. Gore Vidal would be pissed at me.

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. Through good luck, hard work, good luck and hard work, I've managed to get my family to a place that seems like a trip. Some days I have to remind myself to reconnect with the struggle. Blogging about the struggle isn't connecting to the struggle.

We have solar, most months we generate more energy than we use. In those months the amount of charging I do at home now will amount to an electricity bill of a couple bucks. So overall, charging at home costs us...not much. Some months the cost is $0.

Hopefully this will prompt more development in solar. I know since we bought panels in 2006, costs have come way down.

Peace and love,

Solar - 1.jpg

Last edited:
If you are worrying about a $28 fill up in an X, you shouldn’t be driving one. A $100k BMW takes premium fuel, and I guarantee you it will cost more to drive 300miles in that BMW than it does to drive 300 miles in the X. And that is without the difference in maintenance costs.

My previous 100k BMW 650i xdrive did actually about 25-27 mpg on highway (winter - summer). At current $2.80 per gallon premium, this comes to 10.4-11.2 cents per mile. I only supercharge my model 3 performance (which I assume is more efficient than a model X) when I travel - so let's take 280-350 Wh/mile (summer - winter highway usage). At 0.31 cents per kWh this comes to 8.7-10.4 cents per mile. So indeed cheaper, but not by much - some may say in the same ballpark.

My previous 100k BMW 650i xdrive did actually about 25-27 mpg on highway (winter - summer). At current $2.80 per gallon premium, this comes to 10.4-11.2 cents per mile. I only supercharge my model 3 performance (which I assume is more efficient than a model X) when I travel - so let's take 280-350 Wh/mile (summer - winter highway usage). At 0.31 cents per kWh this comes to 8.7-10.4 cents per mile. So indeed cheaper, but not by much - some may say in the same ballpark.

Howdy,

Yeah but what about the savings in oil changes, brakes, mufflers, all the stuff that goes with ICE cars? Is that all out the window now, just because brother Elon raised the rates? The theme of this thread seems like it is.

Peace and love,

Wow 7.5 cents per kWh at home.... I'm at 18 cents. And I'm still paying less for fuel than my old ICE. I would love to be paying 7.5c at home. That would be incredible savings. And.... you have solar at home according to your sig....
Yes, Iowa leads the nation in low cost electricity that is largely (about 50% currently) fueled by wind (4,000 MW just in MidAmerican Energy’s service territory). MidAmerican is installing another 2GW (for a total of 6GW) in 2019 before the 10-year Production Tax Credit expires. The other half is mostly produced from low cost, low sulfur Powder River Basin coal (from Gillette, Wyoming). The PRB coal is purchased, sent 1,000 miles by BNSF and UP unit trains, and burned for a total production cost of about 2 cents per kWh. I spent over two decades working for Warren Buffett’s Iowa utility, in charge of fossil fuel procurement; and my fuel team also worked on the wind (which was zero turbines until around 2006). Now there are several thousand turbines (newest ones are 2.25 MW each) all over NW Iowa. So it takes a diversified portfolio and long term planning to get there, but Iowa has done well. Which is why all the major tech companies (Google, Apple, Facebook) have spent billions building their server farms in Iowa. Our cheap electricity is also why we have long lead times to break even on our home solar. My $50k system had $20k in federal and Iowa tax credits, so a net cost of $30k. I save $2k per year that I used to pay the utility company for electricity (100% avoided now, via net metering). So my solar has a 15-year payback. If you’re on either coast, with much higher electric rates, putting solar on your home will have a much faster payback! :)

Now this...

A person may not buy a Patagonia jacket because of what Patagonia stands for. But when you buy a Patagonia piece, you're helping the planet whether you agree with Yvon or not.

Same thing with Tesla. Their mission statement is:
"to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy".

I blogged about a conservative Trump supporter I had a nice conversation with at the SC. Climate change wasn't his reason for buying. But it's Elon's reason for being in business.

The rates have gone up, I get that it's a bummer for some. But. When you bought the car you bought into Elon's mission statement. Their mission hasn't changed.

You can ignore his mission. that's your right. Some are saying, "Hey wait a minute. I bought the car to save money on gas. You raised the rates, now I'm not saving money on gas and I'm bummed".

I see that as, "standin' on the tracks in the pourin' rain, when you get run over well you blame the train".

Peace and love,

Howdy,

Yeah but what about the savings in oil changes, brakes, mufflers, all the stuff that goes with ICE cars? Is that all out the window now, just because brother Elon raised the rates? The theme of this thread seems like it is.

Peace and love,

So far those cost savings have been purely hypothetical (e.g. the annual maintenance of Teslas being several times more expensive than that of the most expensive Audi). For those touted savings to be realized, you’d need to compare vehicles of equal quality.

If this thread is any indication, we have passed Peak Tesla Bullshit. Most of their arguments have fallen flat and they now need to stand on actual merit. They earned their way into the Thunderdome and us folks have paid some $50k per ticket to watch the fight. It better be good!

I agree with you too as well. The arguments for owning a Tesla compared to other cars is getting weaker and weaker.

Sales pitch used to be that you got a big rebate + lower electricity + maintenance + insurance costs. Now the sales pitch is that it is a cool car if you can afford the high ticket price + high running costs.

Now this...

A person may not buy a Patagonia jacket because of what Patagonia stands for. But when you buy a Patagonia piece, you're helping the planet whether you agree with Yvon or not.

Same thing with Tesla. Their mission statement is:
"to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy".

I blogged about a conservative Trump supporter I had a nice conversation with at the SC. Climate change wasn't his reason for buying. But it's Elon's reason for being in business.

The rates have gone up, I get that it's a bummer for some. But. When you bought the car you bought into Elon's mission statement. Their mission hasn't changed.

You can ignore his mission. that's your right. Some are saying, "Hey wait a minute. I bought the car to save money on gas. You raised the rates, now I'm not saving money on gas and I'm bummed".

I see that as, "standin' on the tracks in the pourin' rain, when you get run over well you blame the train".

Peace and love,

You make the assumption that people all buy a Tesla for that same reason that you did, that is far from true. Also, regarding your comment on savings on oil and brakes, etc. Electricity is very expensive for many and as much as gas or more depending on what you drive. The repairs on my S alone were more than any ICE I have ever owned. My 3 is under warranty but has had at least $4K in repairs conservatively and is headed back in for more. Tesla does not make a reliable car yet. On the note of changing pricing, I saw the same reasoning not that long ago when I believe they raised CA rates and here is another big bump. Tesla highly promotes no need for home charging to push S sales, this is a fact in the Bay Area and they also promoted the free or low cost that followed. I have been driving EVs for more than 12 years and I do for my reasons but Tesla is not the car you buy to save money, perhaps a second hand Nissan LEAF.

Reactions: ricohman

And do you only do road trips with your car? How many miles you you charge at home for instance and how much does that cost?