Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on Model 3 site since we will be more affected than current S and X owners. I couldn't find any discussion on their forums which makes sense now, and newbies will not have any idea that rates doubled or tripled. Until they go up to match Blink and others.......

Seems like they should start having time of use rates at superchargers. That way people who use them for their primary charging can use them at a lower rate when electricity is cheaper.

No. Have a radius from your register addressand how many times you visit a charging station in a month. That shows if you’re using a station for primary charging. Those who use it as a long distance travel should pay less!

I had a 2012 Volt until I got my Model S in 2015. loved that car. but I was READY to trade up when my volt lease was up. BTW one of my quotes of your post is missing. I hit dislike in your post b/c of your "never go to a gas station again: say hello to Idle fees comments.

now idle fees bother me also... but they are necessary. there is just too much supercharger congestion. perhaps the rising princes will help curtail this.. as someone who doesn't have home charging, I have had to deal with a tremendous amount of Destination Charge congestion over the past 3 years (and even when I had my Volt, the ChargePoint EVSE I was using was often occupied) so I know SCing congestion was bound to start being a problem. There are too many cars, and not enough superchargers.. you have to incentivize people to move their cars once they are done charging.. particularly if there are other cars waiting to charge... that's how scarce resources are shared. not everyone is happy all of the time, but most people are happy most of the time. it is the best we can do.

Yes, you're in NYC. I've been to a few of those SCs. I've been to the Paramus NJ SC as well. Yep, had to wait to charge and when I did, I stayed right with my car and didn't stay a minute longer than needed...

Now, take a ride out to my neck of the woods.. Buffalo, Finger Lakes, Syracuse, Binghampton.. Even at their busiest, they wont be half full. Yet I've still been nailed with idle fees and Tesla insisting that the charger was half full. Not the case and I have dash cam footage to prove it. If my car were finished and it was holding anyone up from charging, I would feel mortified. On the other hand, if I'm done charging and there are multiple spaces left, then why can't Tesla leave me alone!? I'm not trekking across the Eastview Mall parking lot (google map it) in slush and snow, with -5 wind chill just to move my car when it's most likely the only vehicle sitting there!!
In fact, I'm fine with nailing me when the SC is half full. Just make sure you send me a text and make sure your SC occupancy data is accurate!

I think this move will make it more difficult to achieve. A big (maybe the biggest) part of the mission is to convince the general public that EVs are a viable and economic alternative to ICE vehicles. If not only the upfront purchase price, but also the "fuel" are more expensive for EVs, it will just reinforce the impression that EVs are just toys for wealthy people. People here tend to assume that the success of EVs is a given, but the reality is that they have a low single-digit market share and there is still a huge hill to climb to make them mainstream outside of some hot spots like California.

That said, it is obvious that Tesla is under pressure financially, so I understand why they are doing it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
I disagree.

Here in CO Tesla's are everywhere. We're #5 and climbing fast, for electric cars per 1000 people. Our Governor, who drives a Tesla, just announced a big push toward electric vehicles:
With Electric Vehicle Mandate, Polis Takes "Small Step" Toward Aggressive Climate Action

You read some of these posts and one think the sky is falling. This is what's wrong with the world we're in. A story comes out, everyone has to jump on it. We were better off when the news came out once a day. I miss Walter Cronkite.

We pay $.098 kWh for electricity. We have solar. I didn't expect to charge at SC's, my expectation was to charge at home.

It's winter up here and I'm crushing my gas costs -- thank you Elon. When it gets warmer, I'm going to realize OMG gas savings.

A friend sits on the board of directors of a utility company. He's a progressive, but the company isn't. They absolutely adore what's happening with EV's. Why? Because they get to sell more electricity. My utility isn't looking to raise rates. But they are excited about selling more.

If people want to have a cow about a snapshot in time, that's their right. But this story is still being told -- "lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have you's..."

Why not be like the Dude?

Peace and love,

Not anymore...
Yeah they'll have to remove that bit of the page entirely I think.
It says that that price is based on 7.7l/100km petrol consumption though, and $1.15/litre, so I'm not worried; even if 47c/kWh sounds like a lot, it's still cheaper than my old 11l/100km vehicle and a realistic $1.40/litre out-of-capital-city price.
Few dollars extra to see the parents. Ah well.

You make the assumption that people all buy a Tesla for that same reason that you did, that is far from true. Also, regarding your comment on savings on oil and brakes, etc. Electricity is very expensive for many and as much as gas or more depending on what you drive. The repairs on my S alone were more than any ICE I have ever owned. My 3 is under warranty but has had at least $4K in repairs conservatively and is headed back in for more. Tesla does not make a reliable car yet. On the note of changing pricing, I saw the same reasoning not that long ago when I believe they raised CA rates and here is another big bump. Tesla highly promotes no need for home charging to push S sales, this is a fact in the Bay Area and they also promoted the free or low cost that followed. I have been driving EVs for more than 12 years and I do for my reasons but Tesla is not the car you buy to save money, perhaps a second hand Nissan LEAF.

Nah man, you got it wrong.

The more I hang out here, the more it's a bummer.

Arguing with some cat on the Internet is so nowhere.

It blows my mind that people don't see we're on a speeding train to a brick wall. The concept of investing for the greater good is so, not on the radar, for so many. We are so toast.

The zombie apocalypse has happened.

Peace and love,

Arguing with some cat on the Internet is so nowhere.

So then, same as in the real world. :)

It blows my mind that people don't see we're on a speeding train to a brick wall. The concept of investing for the greater good is so, not on the radar, for so many. We are so toast,

Off topic comment:

Not joking or antagonizing, but it blows MY mind to see how good a job the doom merchants are doing. That brick wall you’re talking about exists only in rhetoric designed to separate well-intended individuals like yourself from their money. There is NOTHING else to it. NOTHING.

That greater good is nothing but the sum of all individual “goods” and there is no public interest of any kind that will not be completely ruined once someone is empowered to decide on behalf of everyone else what’s worth investing in and what’s not.

I lived through the misery of being forced, together with the rest of the Eastern Block, to work “for the greater good” rather than the “individual good”. It was effin’ dreadful and I wish I could take all of the well-intended American Left back in time to experience that life.

That greater good is nothing but the sum of all individual “goods” and there is no public interest of any kind that will not be completely ruined once someone is empowered to decide on behalf of everyone else what’s worth investing in and what’s not.
The 2AM Dorm Room Philosopher has logged on, pass the Bong!

ROFL

I lived through the misery of being forced, together with the rest of the Eastern Block, to work “for the greater good” rather than the “individual good”.
Can you spot the difference here? It is an important one, I assure you.

Last edited: