TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging Revenue

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by MikeDog77, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

I know Tesla has said that Supercharging Revenue would be used to pay for the cost of supercharging. Obviously a lot of M3 owners need to "fill up" in order to cover the cost for the energy for S and X owners. But now that Tesla is doing away with free super charging for life, and at the same time adding 300,000+ M3 per year, it got me thinking. How much revenue is it generating.

I have had a M3 for 7 months and have paid $84 for Tesla super charging. I drive a lot, but so do most Tesla owners. So that works out to roughly $150 per year. So we are taking about $15 million per year per 100,000 cars that are paying for supercharging. So we could easily see Tesla with 20-30 million in 2019 supercharging revenue.

I would think that the cost of adding a super charger is not too much(if anyone has an idea please let me know). But 20-30 million sure does pay for a lot of electricity and probably some expansion. And this number will grow exponentially as they continue to add cars to the road and superchargers to more locations.

2. cpa

cpa Active Member

At one time it was bantered about on this forum that construction costs for an 8-stall Supercharger ranged from 150K-200K. (I am recalling from memory.) Now most traditional Superchargers are at least 10 stalls with many approaching 20, plus the two large sites in California at 40 stalls. Then there are the newer urban-style Superchargers that typically range from 12-20 stalls. Those construction costs are probably slightly lower, but that is just a guess.

There are numerous reports that there are individuals who have not been charged for Supercharging even though they do not have the grandfathered "free, unlimited" or the annual 400kWh per year allotted to recent S and X purchases. The reasons for not charging a fee are largely speculation, from certain sites where the landlord foots the electric bill to transmission issues between the Supercharger and Tesla's database of our credit cards, to internal decisions by management.

I highly doubt that Tesla is going to earmark the cash it collects from us when we Supercharge. If your arithmetic assumptions are correct, heck, if the actual revenue is triple what you calculated, that sum is still immaterial to the cash that Tesla receives over an entire year. My best guess is that the Supercharger department prepares a budget for construction, maintenance, repairs, electricity, and miscellaneous expenses that gets approved by the Board, while another department (perhaps operations) estimates the cash generated from Supercharging fees that gets deposited into one of Tesla's general operating cash accounts.

Probably the accounting department will generate a management report to reflect operating revenue from Supercharging and the resulting period costs of Supercharging each month on a national and statewide level to determine if the fee charged by state and/or country needs to be increased. When this program was first announced, Tesla decided to assess 20 cents/kWh in California. Several months later, Tesla increased the fee to 26 cents, where it has remained.

• Like x 1
  3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

It doesn't make any sense to consider the revenue from charging fees without also considering the operating expense of the purchased electricity (and probably other O&M expenditures for the network, too). Electricity doesn't grow on trees.