Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging routing in the navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Is the charge limit factored into the route planner? Like for example if I set it to like 65% so I can have quicker charging sessions instead of longer ones. Kinda like how you can set it in ABRP? I’m new to Tesla, just got a 2021 last week. Any y other trips regarding route planning are appreciated

Thanks

Hello,

Is the charge limit factored into the route planner? Like for example if I set it to like 65% so I can have quicker charging sessions instead of longer ones. Kinda like how you can set it in ABRP? I’m new to Tesla, just got a 2021 last week. Any y other trips regarding route planning are appreciated

Thanks
I just returned from a trip from Colorado to the LA area. I use ABRP to plan my trips.
In ABRP's Settings there's a setting for Charging stops that ranges from: Few but long - Quickest arrival - Short but many. It will plan your route accordingly. There's also a setting under Battery for Charger arrival SoC which determines how long much charge you want left, as a buffer, when you arrive at your next stop.

I have the Charging stops set for Quickest arrival and the arrival SoC set to 20%.

My experience is that ABRP tends to be pessimistic in its calculations, where Tesla's on board estimates are optimistic. When I'm charging I plug in my next destination in Tesla's route planner. If I have my charging limit set to 90%, per ABRP, the charging system usually says I have enough energy to get me to the destination when the charge is about 70 - 75%, with 15% left at arrival. When I'm charged to 90% it says I'll have about 45% left. However when I start driving it recalculates after a while and now is down to 20 - 23% at arrival, which is actually accurate.

On the other hand ABRP sometimes is overly cautious, so I look at both and judge from experience, but I set my charge closer to ABRP's reccomendation.

Hello,

Thanks
I don’t think the Tesla navigation routing factors in the charge limit.