Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Speeds: Who, what, where, why, and when

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...if they were already being implemented for everyone across the board. They're not though. I have a 2014 S85, and if I hadn't read forum threads about it here, I wouldn't be aware of any Supercharger slowing. It's not happening to my car yet, (or just to a very small barely noticeable degree). I just did an 1,800 mile vacation and still get over 110 kW when the battery is low, which is just about as good as when it was new. A lot of people will not notice this if it hasn't gotten bad enough to get lowered much yet.

Maybe for a few seconds but your 110kw doesn't stay there for long. Your charging is a lot slower than it used to be. In fact, I guarantee you it pretty much matches the chart I just posted above.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
As I said, most people probably will not notice it. People who are meticulous enough and obsessively looking at it that closely to use precise numbers like 26 minutes are not "most people". I go walk away and do something and when it's ready, it's ready. I don't pay attention to how many minutes it was.

They will all notice. It takes 50% longer to charge from 20% to 80% than before.

Since I just got a "like", I'll put more info in here.
I just did a 2,500 mile trip. The 105 number was nearly a constant at all SOC, from 6% to 95%. The old 120 number used to taper down at higher SOC, but I saw no evidence of that at all.
It did seem like the charging stops were longer now. However, I had two dogs that needed walks and I hadn't packed clothes that were warm enough, so stops were pretty miserable.

Busy 250KW supercharger this weekend:

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 12.37.18 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: oaito and kavyboy
How did you get that graph out of Teslafi?
you just have to download your Teslafi data in .csv (in the settings/advanced menu) and then in excel just set it up to plot kW against battery % for all your supercharging sessions. it'll take a while to do, there's a lot of data there (delete all the data from times you're not supercharging). I just download and add new sessions as I do them now to see if any difference (there never is, tiny %'s either way, nowhere close to the glory days).

I have a 2014 S 60, charging speeds vary from 20-40kW, it’s terrible, unless I’m driving around town, any short distance trip will take hours away for just charging. It’s pretty simple, if we paid for supercharging Tesla would not throttle the speeds. Looking to join a class action, Tesla continues to deny that they are throttling when we all can clearly see that they are.

At some point next spring I will look to upgrade my 2015 85D to something a little newer with faster supercharging speeds. So, a question: Do the v3 90 packs differ significantly from their v1 and v2 siblings in chemistry and therefore SC speed / taper? Or should I ignore the v3 90D and just look for a (P)100D? We road trip several times a year, so SC performance is important.

At some point next spring I will look to upgrade my 2015 85D to something a little newer with faster supercharging speeds. So, a question: Do the v3 90 packs differ significantly from their v1 and v2 siblings in chemistry and therefore SC speed / taper? Or should I ignore the v3 90D and just look for a (P)100D? We road trip several times a year, so SC performance is important.
I would recommend that you not buy a S90D. I own a 2016 S90D and the charge speeds at Superchargers are so slow that I cannot take trips with my model S without waiting 50 to 75% more time to charge my car.

I went to the Service Center and told them that they turned my $109.000 S90D into a Nissan Leaf. As you know you cannot take road trips with a Nissan Leaf. I told them that they reduced the charge amps so that they would not have to replace a defective battery. They agreed with the reduction in charging amps so they would not have to replace the battery, but said that there was not a problem with the battery. They said it was not defective.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
I would recommend that you not buy a S90D. I own a 2016 S90D and the charge speeds at Superchargers are so slow that I cannot take trips with my model S without waiting 50 to 75% more time to charge my car.

I went to the Service Center and told them that they turned my $109.000 S90D into a Nissan Leaf. As you know you cannot take road trips with a Nissan Leaf. I told them that they reduced the charge amps so that they would not have to replace a defective battery. They agreed with the reduction in charging amps so they would not have to replace the battery, but said that there was not a problem with the battery. They said it was not defective.
How bad are your speeds? I recently had a P90DL loaner and while it was clearly throttled, it still did 5-70% in 30mins

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have a 2013 Model S and supercharging is super slow, if I plug in at 30% SOC it starts at 25. Good thing I do not go on road trips with this car.
Let's not leave out some EXTREMELY relevant information here, OK?
(reads your signature file)
"Model S 60"
So how are those apples and oranges doing? The old 60 sized batteries already charged much slower and had a more severe and earlier tapering curve to begin with versus the 85s that most people are talking about.

Let's not leave out some EXTREMELY relevant information here, OK?
(reads your signature file)
"Model S 60"
So how are those apples and oranges doing? The old 60 sized batteries already charged much slower and had a more severe and earlier tapering curve to begin with versus the 85s that most people are talking about.
Yes, I understand but this is much slower after software update some time ago it use to start at around 60 and go down from there.