Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Speeds: Who, what, where, why, and when

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend that you not buy a S90D. I own a 2016 S90D and the charge speeds at Superchargers are so slow that I cannot take trips with my model S without waiting 50 to 75% more time to charge my car.

I went to the Service Center and told them that they turned my $109.000 S90D into a Nissan Leaf. As you know you cannot take road trips with a Nissan Leaf. I told them that they reduced the charge amps so that they would not have to replace a defective battery. They agreed with the reduction in charging amps so they would not have to replace the battery, but said that there was not a problem with the battery. They said it was not defective.
Whoah. That's good intel - thanks. I was hoping that a V3 90D might be a suitable compromise. But perhaps I need to spend a little more, go for a 100D and lose my FUSC. Sad.

Whoah. That's good intel - thanks. I was hoping that a V3 90D might be a suitable compromise. But perhaps I need to spend a little more, go for a 100D and lose my FUSC. Sad.
My understanding from reading posts of 90 owners is that some early 90 (v1?) batteries are still severely nerfed for charging speed, like all 85 and original 60. But most 90 seem to have gained suc speed back last year.

Just FYI on the charging speed on the 90KWh pack. After 2020.48.37.1 or later, Tesla restored back the charging speed. I use to be capped at 87KW charging rate for many years after the 1st year of owning the 90D with heavy supercharging usage. Now I can get up to 116KW at peak and it stays there for most of the early charging up to around 60% before going below the 100KW mark. As for degradation, that is still in the air because Tesla did cap me at 87KW - 90KW for years so maybe the battery wasn't hit as hard. Again I am a very heavy supercharging user.

My 90D had the max charge rate restored in 2020.48.37.1, except the aggressive taper is still in place. I went from a max of 94kw rate to 124.
Here are two cases, maybe they will comment if they still have good suc charge speed.
I’d love for our 85 to get those rates.

I don't know what version of S90D battery I have. My car was delivered on December 21, 2016. The first Model S100D were delivered in June 2017. There are threads on TMC that say that S75D and S90Ds batteries have been nerf'd and the charge rates are much lower than the S100D. If you do not plan to take long trips, the S90D is a great car, but if you plan to take trips, I highly recommend the S100D. I charge my car at home starting early in the morning so the longer time does not affect me for local driving.

I believe that my S90D was suppose to charge 180 miles in 30 minutes when the car was new. The last time I checked the Tesla website, it said that the S100D charge rate is 200 miles in 15 minutes. I just checked and it looks like Tesla may have removed it from the website. If anyone has a screen shot of the new S100D charge rate in 15 minutes, please upload it here. I would also like a screen shot of the 2016 S90D's charge rate.

I plan to send a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission regarding Tesla sending out false advertising. Tesla says the new S100D charges at 200 miles in 15 minutes but they don't say that some batteries will charge at half that rate in 4 years. My car only has 38,500 miles on it and I cannot take it on long trips because I may spend up to 50 to 75% longer to charge my car at a Supercharger. When my car was new, I could charge my car from around 30% to 100% in a little over an hour.

Just wanted to update others here. It seems like supercharging is better than before the hard neuter, but the new firmware has restore some of the charging speed. However it is slowing it down again. I get peak of 113KW and it rapidly drops to 100kw when at 40%. If the battery is warm, it will stay above 100KW until probably 44%. It is still better than befor firmware update, but it looks like tesla is scaling it again. I suspect it will continue to get worst and worst as I supercharge more and more.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
Just wanted to update others here. It seems like supercharging is better than before the hard neuter, but the new firmware has restore some of the charging speed. However it is slowing it down again. I get peak of 113KW and it rapidly drops to 100kw when at 40%. If the battery is warm, it will stay above 100KW until probably 44%. It is still better than befor firmware update, but it looks like tesla is scaling it again. I suspect it will continue to get worst and worst as I supercharge more and more.
Can’t leave well enough alone can they?

My 2017 MS 90D hit a max peak charge rate of 160KW today on a V3 in Oceanside, CA. Never seen it this fast before. I've been supercharging my car a lot over the past week and it consistently hits 143KW. I'm still pleasantly surprised with the old battery tech. Held up quite well and actually superchargers at a significantly faster rate today than compared to back in 2017 when V2s were capped at 120KW of output shared between A and B stalls.

My understanding from reading posts of 90 owners is that some early 90 (v1?) batteries are still severely nerfed for charging speed,

like all 85
Not mine. Original 2013 Model S with 90 kW maximum charging speed, in the past 100 supercharges, I have been able to reach the exact charging curve the car used when new 9 years later. Obviously, you meant "all 85 except that guys" . l-)

Not mine. Original 2013 Model S with 90 kW maximum charging speed, in the past 100 supercharges, I have been able to reach the exact charging curve the car used when new 9 years later. Obviously, you meant "all 85 except that guys" . l-)
You are correct and I forgot about the first A packs. Thanks for correcting me.
I guess you have an A pack ? Like more 2012/2013 cars right?

Reactions: SmartElectric
You are correct and I forgot about the first A packs. I guess you have an A pack ? Like more 2012/2013 cars right?

Correct. A-pack, the original battery specification for the Model S early production. Limited to 90 kW maximum supercharging rate, and kW = 120-SOC% charge curve. Tesla improved the maximum and charge curve starting with the B spec packs later in 2013, and interestingly, when Tesla deliberately limited charge rates in firmware in 2019, my car was unaffected, but B spec and newer cars were, and their charge rates nearly matched mine (!), pretty interesting, coincidence?

Hi!

MX P90DL here. It has a v3 pack, 1088792-00-A.. I think this is the best possible 90 pack?

Anyway, car previously had MCU1 with 2021.24.28 software. I had very good supercharge speeds, easily peaked over 140kW and stayed at 120-130 for a long time .

I'm currently on a roadtrip around Europe. I visited Austria Linz service center and they installed MCU2 and a tow hitch. At this point I already had like 1000km of traveling using only superchargers.

After the service visit, I now only have 100kw maximum. Bollocks! it doesn't taper very quickly, though. It goes from 0 to 50% at 95-100kWh, power does not drop at all. I think at higher SoC it's exactly the same as before.

I'm thinking it must be one or more of these options:

1) MCU2 has never software which has crippled speed?

2) It's just the long "supercharge only" trip that has capped speed, and it will perhaps retrify automatically once I have home charged it a few times?

3) I managed to hit some hidden supercharge-kwh-limit that now permanently nerfed my battery?

Anyway this is still tons better than my previous car 2013 P85+... But 140kW was fun until it lasted. :)

Hi!

MX P90DL here. It has a v3 pack, 1088792-00-A.. I think this is the best possible 90 pack?

Anyway, car previously had MCU1 with 2021.24.28 software. I had very good supercharge speeds, easily peaked over 140kW and stayed at 120-130 for a long time .

I'm currently on a roadtrip around Europe. I visited Austria Linz service center and they installed MCU2 and a tow hitch. At this point I already had like 1000km of traveling using only superchargers.

After the service visit, I now only have 100kw maximum. Bollocks! it doesn't taper very quickly, though. It goes from 0 to 50% at 95-100kWh, power does not drop at all. I think at higher SoC it's exactly the same as before.

2) It's just the long "supercharge only" trip that has capped speed, and it will perhaps retrify automatically once I have home charged it a few times?

3) I managed to hit some hidden supercharge-kwh-limit that now permanently nerfed my battery?

Anyway this is still tons better than my previous car 2013 P85+... But 140kW was fun until it lasted. :)

I would go with #3.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hi!

What SW? But yeah A pack I think is a hard nerf eventually: Bjørn hit that cap fairly quickly.

Reactions: aerodyne
Now after few cycles of home charging, I got above 130kW at a supercharger. So maybe it's coming back. :)

What SW? But yeah A pack I think is a hard nerf eventually: Bjørn hit that cap fairly quickly.

Ah mine is not the dreaded "A pack" even if the part number has "A". See the other numbers. :) There was a list of part numbers in some other thread. 1088792-00-A is the latest v3 ludicrous pack.

Hello Zuikkis,

I can testify some similar experience with my 100D.

Sometimes I am in the 135-140KW zone for a while, sometimes it doesn't exceed 120-125 KW.

I have the feeling that outside temperature plays an important role, especially on V2 SUC.
These experiences with limited power were on week-ends in May with high traffic, and rather hot temperatures (but without stall sharing!). Power can be limited to prevent cable or plug overheating.

Can also be that the cooling of the car itself has difficulties to get out all the heat during supercharges after a long trip?

V3 SUC speeds, despites the CCS adapter, seem a bit more consistent.

If anybody has some technical background or experience about speed limitations related to other components than the battery itself, could be worth sharing!

Hello Zuikkis,

I can testify some similar experience with my 100D.

Sometimes I am in the 135-140KW zone for a while, sometimes it doesn't exceed 120-125 KW.

I have the feeling that outside temperature plays an important role, especially on V2 SUC.
These experiences with limited power were on week-ends in May with high traffic, and rather hot temperatures (but without stall sharing!). Power can be limited to prevent cable or plug overheating.

Can also be that the cooling of the car itself has difficulties to get out all the heat during supercharges after a long trip?

V3 SUC speeds, despites the CCS adapter, seem a bit more consistent.

If anybody has some technical background or experience about speed limitations related to other components than the battery itself, could be worth sharing!
Scan My Tesla, (SMT) or similar app with CAN bus reader, is very useful. It will show you the max charge power permitted at a given SoC and pack temp. If you are not getting what the app shows, then possibly a problem with the stall.

I use this to determine if my charge speed is optimal. Usually, if pack temp is north of 90 deg F, I'm getting pretty close to max charge power, usually for my old "85" pack, 90-100Kw at 25% SoC.

Nav to SuC may get pack too warm meaning that several Kw are being used to cool the pack for some time after you leave.

• Informative
Reactions: Anth89 and Droschke