Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Speeds: Who, what, where, why, and when

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not like the owners won't actually notice that the charging is taking much longer than estimated. Tesla must think we're all just a bunch of idiots.
It sounds like that is exactly what will happen. Most owners will never see this, as mentioned here:
In my testing the first cells didn't show signs of the issue until well over 500,000 equivalent fast charge miles, and some reached around 900,000 fast charge miles. [...] With the older charge profile, even under the worst conditions in my tests, cells didn't show issues until well past what you'd expect the life of a normal vehicle to be. So people still on older firmware charging faster on their 85s are not likely in any serious danger of having problems. (Barring unrelated BMS issues described elsewhere.)

The significant drop in supercharging speed is bad enough, but trying to hide it from the affected owners like that is just deceitful. It's not like the owners won't actually notice that the charging is taking much longer than estimated. Tesla must think we're all just a bunch of idiots.

I'm not an idiot, rather just naive at the time. I assumed that Tesla would not do anything so underhanded, so I originally believed the times estimator must be out of calibration on my car.

Tesla is playing the time honored sausage factory game, adding a little sawdust along the way.

I can play too. Downloaded the EQS and Lucid brochures yesterday...meanwhile going to start aggressive SuC on my nose cone car.

Thanks wk057 for more updates. If Tesla was the company it was before, it would silently give everyone a new pack and it will still probably not affect their bottom line much given how many money they are making this year. Heck they can just sell all there BTC and use the profit to fix all those old cars. But sadly I guess Musk is trying to hold on to his title as richest man. That would not be good for his net worth when people hear about him giving early adopters free battery pack replacements.

Reactions: aerodyne
Read wk057's post again. His testing showed that Tesla's new limits are too conservative.
...if they were already being implemented for everyone across the board. They're not though. I have a 2014 S85, and if I hadn't read forum threads about it here, I wouldn't be aware of any Supercharger slowing. It's not happening to my car yet, (or just to a very small barely noticeable degree). I just did an 1,800 mile vacation and still get over 110 kW when the battery is low, which is just about as good as when it was new. A lot of people will not notice this if it hasn't gotten bad enough to get lowered much yet.

...if they were already being implemented for everyone across the board. They're not though. I have a 2014 S85, and if I hadn't read forum threads about it here, I wouldn't be aware of any Supercharger slowing. It's not happening to my car yet, (or just to a very small barely noticeable degree). I just did an 1,800 mile vacation and still get over 110 kW when the battery is low, which is just about as good as when it was new. A lot of people will not notice this if it hasn't gotten bad enough to get lowered much yet.
I got 130kW in my P85. When the Car was new it was only 116kw. But guess what? Adding 40kWh to the battery increased from 26minutes to 35min. Its the fast tapering of the chargerate, thats so annoying

I got 130kW in my P85. When the Car was new it was only 116kw. But guess what? Adding 40kWh to the battery increased from 26minutes to 35min. Its the fast tapering of the chargerate, thats so annoying
As I said, most people probably will not notice it. People who are meticulous enough and obsessively looking at it that closely to use precise numbers like 26 minutes are not "most people". I go walk away and do something and when it's ready, it's ready. I don't pay attention to how many minutes it was.

Reactions: GSP
Like most 85 packs, been charge gated.

30-80% went from 30min to 45min in 2019.

Just now however, saw 80Kw at 40%, and 65kw at 50%, 51Kw at 60%.

Seems like I am approaching the "BH rule" of 120-130 (SoC plus Power)

Perhaps the algorithm is taking into account my mild driving habits and lack of SuC.

Or it could be that I try to avoid getting the pack too warm or too cold. Range mode keeps the pack warm with out pack heater on, 107 deg F seems to be the sweet spot, no AC comes on.

Reactions: sorka and Jabbahop

Perhaps the algorithm is taking into account my mild driving habits and lack of SuC.

Or it could be that I try to avoid getting the pack too warm or too cold. Range mode keeps the pack warm with out pack heater on, 107 deg F seems to be the sweet spot, no AC comes on.
Or you just got one of those "goldilocks" charge sessions, which happen now and then under ideal conditions. And then a week later on the same firmware you get 55 kW at 40 % soc when you think the temperatures should be exactly the same.

Reactions: aerodyne

Really interesting. Much better charging Rate. On which Firmware are you?

@wk057 - Do you have any long term simulated supercharging data with the 100 kWh cells or the Model 3 2170 cells to say what happens to them? I assume they will not suffer the same fate as the 60/70/85 kWh cells?
Only a couple of years of data for the 100s, and maybe 18 months for the Model 3. Promising overall.

For those the BMS algos for calculating fast charging variables are much less strict than other packs. The Model 3 algos seem to be the most liberal out of them all.

Tesla seems to have discovered this potential issue, ran the numbers on their end, and came up with new thresholds and metrics for how much fast charging to allow and at what levels on these "legacy" chemistries. Since about late 2019, the BMS firmware of all of the pre-100 pack vehicles has an algorithm to calculate fast charge and taper rates based on historical usage data. I've dissected it as best possible from a reverse engineering standpoint, and while the exact thresholds that cause a substantial decrease in charging speed can vary greatly based on different metrics, the maximum rates and best taper rates are much lower than what they could have been previously even on the best packs.

I read in other forum posts that Tesla is using a new battery design (1014116-00-B) to replace all the other batteries that is actually 90 kWh and software locked to lower capacities depending on the car's original capacity (see this and this post). If there's indeed a newer chemical design that would not be prone to the issues you described I would expect that these newer batteries would be able to be superchargerd without the restrictions you mentioned. Did you see any evidence of this?