Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you regularly charging to 100% (best limit to 90% if not driving immediately) and leaving unplugged on sentry?
Always charge to 70-90%.

It’s improved today but this is what I mean
622432A3-0921-44FE-8B9E-FDF1A4B464F5.jpeg

I believe the app is reporting the 'cold battery level', where as TeslaFi displays both. This would explain why it changes as it is temperature sensitive.

In case below, charge limit was set at 85% but app reported 84% on completion.

I'm not convinced that something inconsistent going on with the numbers though due to a recent change in Api or TeslaFi - specifically rated and estimated range - TeslaFi reported car offline at end of charge so TeslaFi missed end (approx final 1/2 hour) of charge and only picked things back up after I woke car when accessing app so it thinks charge too approx 1/2 hour longer than it did.

Screenshot (320).png

20191229_055102000_iOS - Copy.png

I had to 'fake' the 99% below as by time screenshot was captured, the apps 99% had disappeared. But app did max out at 99%.
20191229_060006000_iOS - Copy.png

Reactions: David99
My first supercharger experience today at Membery services was excellent! Over 600mph. I did notice that if I turned sentry mode on it dropped to about 60kw but turning that off pushed the charge rate up again. I guess it really slows down the charge rate!
763594A8-67AD-4383-A44F-731E05B9B8BF.png

Surprised at your observation re sentry. Its minor in grand scheme of things. Are you sure it wasn't hvac, say enabling it when getting in the car?

147kW excellent though.
I started sentry from the phone app so wasn’t near the car.
It might have been something else I guess but one minute was getting huge charging speeds, the started sentry and got much reduced speeds, then turned off sentry and got much higher speeds! I can only conclude it was sentry on the evidence I have.

Halton be corrected by other people’s experiences.

Earlier tonight I charged at Park Royal. M3 LRAWD. State of charge was 12% and I had a good 25 minutes of pre conditioning on the way there. 10 degrees C. The highest I got was 189kW which isn’t quite 250 but is still really amazing. 12% to 50% in 14 minutes.

What a time to be alive!

Reactions: thorfun
That's a great charging rate and one that was almost enjoyed (not quite that high) by all Model S owners, unfortunately we are now stuck at between 60 and 30kw for cars that are not that old at all (Model S) ... this was done overnight after an update and without notification or permission asked. It is not fair to take this away after buying a car based on fast charging.

It seems Tesla may have changed the charger pair sharing system. I was charging at Scotch Corner yesterday on 1a with 4 of 8 stalls occupied. I was charging my M3P at 128kW with 40% SOC when a modelS plugged into 1b beside me. My charge rate dropped straight away to less than 48kW where it stayed for a few minutes until I moved the car to a freshly vacated pair. I plugged in to 4a and the charge rate was back up over 120kW.
The same happened to me two weeks ago at Scotch Corner on a different pair when a model X more than halved my charge rate.
I thought the second car to join a pair only received the spare third or two thirds if available, or are S and X getting priority over model 3s?

It seems Tesla may have changed the charger pair sharing system. I was charging at Scotch Corner yesterday on 1a with 4 of 8 stalls occupied. I was charging my M3P at 128kW with 40% SOC when a modelS plugged into 1b beside me. My charge rate dropped straight away to less than 48kW where it stayed for a few minutes until I moved the car to a freshly vacated pair. I plugged in to 4a and the charge rate was back up over 120kW.
The same happened to me two weeks ago at Scotch Corner on a different pair when a model X more than halved my charge rate.
I thought the second car to join a pair only received the spare third or two thirds if available, or are S and X getting priority over model 3s?

Funny you should mention this. I was at Norton Park grabbing some juice, there was a Model S plugged in already plugged in. I got chatting to him and he mentoned his charge only dropped a few KWh when I plugged in. He then left, I restarted my charge and jumped up to 100KWh~. Simmilar to you a Model X then joined and my rate halfed!

What's the deal the preconditioning notification . I had it on for at least 25 mins. On my way to park royal...does it ever turn off ..i.e. is there a point where the battery is satisfactorily pre conditioned ? Or is it normal for the preconditoning notification to remain on from the point you set the destination until you begin supercharging ?

I think it turns on based on how far you are from the supercharger? When I set off towards Park Royal, for the first 5 minutes or so the pre-conditioning didn't come on, and I was worried that my experiment with 250kW would be a failure, but then it came on. So I assume it calculates the estimated time remaining, and based on temperature it works out when to start the pre-conditioning. Just guessing, though.

Before setting off, and seeing that the pre-conditioning didn't come on immediately, I thought "new bug with 2019.40.51 or they haven't properly enabled Park Royal in their database, so the car doesn't know it needs to pre-condition".

It was a ~30 minute drive, and I estimate the pre-conditioning didn't come on for the first 5 minutes, so I estimated 25 minutes of pre-conditioning.

Edit to add that the car sounds very different when pre-conditioning is running, so you can tell it's on.