Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Stations as a Franchised Business Opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jack6591

May 11, 2013
California
I stopped by the Hawthorne Supercharging Station today. In the short time I spent there, I was left wondering what sort of businesses could benefit from offering Supercharging facilities. Reasonably affluent folks were standing around waiting for their cars to charge. What sort of fees could Tesla expect to receive for this type of arrangement?

Just wondering out loud.

I stopped by the Hawthorne Supercharging Station today. In the short time I spent there, I was left wondering what sort of businesses could benefit from offering Supercharging facilities. Reasonably affluent folks were standing around waiting for their cars to charge. What sort of fees could Tesla expect to receive for this type of arrangement?

Just wondering out loud.
If there was a (decent) public-facing deli inside the SpaceX facility, they would have sold me 3 meals in less than 3 days two weeks ago.

If there was a (decent) public-facing deli inside the SpaceX facility, they would have sold me 3 meals in less than 3 days two weeks ago.
Lots of people seem to think "meal" when they think Supercharger. But since the goal is to be in and out in 20 minutes... to me that's ideal for a Starbucks.
Actually, I think a Starbucks within walking distance should be mandatory...

Lots of people seem to think "meal" when they think Supercharger. But since the goal is to be in and out in 20 minutes... to me that's ideal for a Starbucks.

This is fantastic idea...I'd go in with someone on a business loan for an espresso stand (mobile) at the Hawthorne site. PM me if interested. As I'm not in the area, someone would need to be 'boots on the ground' and I'd be willing to pony up collateral for the business loan.

This is fantastic idea...I'd go in with someone on a business loan for an espresso stand (mobile) at the Hawthorne site. PM me if interested. As I'm not in the area, someone would need to be 'boots on the ground' and I'd be willing to pony up collateral for the business loan.

I'm thinking parking structures built with solar power carports. Would ev owners be more apt to charge at renewable energy based stations? Beyond the solar electric connection, I like coffee and great food coupled with impulse shopping.

I said deli/meal for a reason -- 20-30 minutes -- rather than dinner -- 60+ minutes.

i could see Elon working some kind of food/beverage franchise at charger stations in the future and an announcement like that would give another stock pop. If they arent already thinking about it, they really should be.

It's late, and I read your post as I've quoted it. It's much funnier now.

In all seriousness. I'm surprised their isn't some sort of deal with SBUX in the works. Their locations are many and they draw an arguably more affluent crowd than other coffee shops. Certain locations have decent parking too.

Attachments

• 800px-KimbalMusk.jpg
    800px-KimbalMusk.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 624
Tesla could make loads of Money here, considering gas-stations make lots of their Money from selling other stuff than gas. Tesla should also let Taxi, police and shuttle-services get the battery swap. Imagen if you have 100 GENIII-cars, and loads of battery storing Your SolarCity-panels. If they do this.. the fremont factory will just be one of many!

I think they should sign a contract with McDonald's or Burger King - a company that has a vast, global network of drive thru restaurants already located along busy roads. It would be a huge win-win.

Tesla: get access to a network of exisiting, busy locations world wide, where people stop for 20-30 minutes anyway to take a bite. These locations have parking lots, some of which could be easily converted to Superchargers, so they could really fast track building the network. The restaurant chain would give the space for free, of course and cross promote Tesla raising awareness. Did i mention this would be global? There is only so many strategically well placed rest stops along busy roads - it wil get difficult getting access on their own.

Restaurant chain: huge opportunities to market themselves as green, e.g. would go very well with McDonalds' current re-branding. Could also cover the roof of the restaurants with solar panels and advertise that they use those to power the restaurant when no one is charging.

I think they should sign a contract with McDonald's or Burger King - a company that has a vast, global network of drive thru restaurants already located along busy roads. It would be a huge win-win.
I think I might agree with you in the Gen 3 era. In the Model S and Model X timeframe, I don't think that fits their customer base or luxury brand well enough.

They're already selling the siting of Superchargers as a positive to the entities from which they get the parking lot space. It's a 5 year agreement.

It will be up to the landowner to get the franchise and I'm sure that if we end up with large numbers of Supercharging cars and the Supercharger speed continues to increase, the landowner will see an opportunity for co-location of a fast-food and beverage franchise.

Tesla: get access to a network of exisiting, busy locations world wide, where people stop for 20-30 minutes anyway to take a bite. These locations have parking lots, some of which could be easily converted to Superchargers, so they could really fast track building the network. The restaurant chain would give the space for free, of course and cross promote Tesla raising awareness. Did i mention this would be global? There is only so many strategically well placed rest stops along busy roads - it wil get difficult getting access on their own.

Restaurant chain: huge opportunities to market themselves as green, e.g. would go very well with McDonalds' current re-branding. Could also cover the roof of the restaurants with solar panels and advertise that they use those to power the restaurant when no one is charging.

Since McDonald's owns very few of its restaurants I don't think that would work. But the idea has a lot of merit IMO. A firm like Cracker Barrel, which already has a similar siting strategy to the Supercharger network strategy, and which owns the land that about 2/3 of their restaurants sit on, would seem a natural partner for Supercharger rollout, especially once Tesla decides more density is worth the added investment.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 11.10.25 AM.png

I think I might agree with you in the Gen 3 era. In the Model S and Model X timeframe, I don't think that fits their customer base or luxury brand well enough.
You really want to tell me rich people (no offense) do not eat burgers? :) I think a massive rollout of superchargers is a necessary step in preparation for Gen3.

- - - Updated - - -

Since McDonald's owns very few of its restaurants I don't think that would work. But the idea has a lot of merit IMO. A firm like Cracker Barrel, which already has a similar siting strategy to the Supercharger network strategy, and which owns the land that about 2/3 of their restaurants sit on, would seem a natural partner for Supercharger rollout, especially once Tesla decides more density is worth the added investment.

You are correct, MC is a franchise business. However that does not stop them for prescribing certain things to their partners. Like their whole global rebranding activity, updating the restaurants with the new look, their standardized rollout. Plus I don't think the owners would mind if it didn't cost them a dime. After all this is good marketing.

As for other chains, sure, BK and MC were just exmaples, but i was talking about a global approach with a major partner. I am sure Cracker Barrel is a well known brand in the US, but no one has heard about it outside the States. (I visit the US every couple of months for business, but have never heard of them before - though i am hardly a representative sample)

You really want to tell me rich people (no offense) do not eat burgers? :)
Firstly, I didn't say rich people. I said customer base. Many are vegan, vegetarian, or just generally avoid fast food. As for the rich segment of the customer base, many of them are mentally allergic to burgers as mundane as McDonald's. (I'm not one of them.)

I know that I am way ahead of myself. But, what are we going to do with all those gas stations? Certainly, some portion of them could be converted to Supercharging Stations with some very tasteful accommodations. I'm thinking gourmet fast food, and putting greens. I'm just saying.