Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Stations as a Franchised Business Opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that I am way ahead of myself. But, what are we going to do with all those gas stations? Certainly, some portion of them could be converted to Supercharging Stations with some very tasteful accommodations. I'm thinking gourmet fast food, and putting greens. I'm just saying.

I'm wondering how many supercharger stations would need to be built to support a large market of Tesla cars? I don't think Tesla ever intended to offer free charging for everyone in their daily life. I always envisioned supercharger stations placed mostly between cities on freeway routes and not so high in density within cities. I thought Elon was trying to conceptually change how people viewed filling up a gas tank. If supercharger stations are everywhere then people will always try to top off to save a penny instead of filling up at home. As a shareholder, I don't want frugal users topping off on Tesla's dime. Superchargers are for making long distance possible, not daily charging, that is for home.

It could be beneficial if Tesla could make a partnership with a business. Maybe help with the cost of installation if the business pays the power. Another thought I had was that Tesla could licence out the technology and then businesses could install them under a different moniker other than "supercharger". The business could then charge money or set their own rules for patrons to charge. This could allow better city charging infrastructure, protect the free charging benefit of the "supercharger" name, and also provide a solution to apartment dwellers.

I'm wondering how many supercharger stations would need to be built to support a large market of Tesla cars? I don't think Tesla ever intended to offer free charging for everyone in their daily life. I always envisioned supercharger stations placed mostly between cities on freeway routes and not so high in density within cities. I thought Elon was trying to conceptually change how people viewed filling up a gas tank. If supercharger stations are everywhere then people will always try to top off to save a penny instead of filling up at home. As a shareholder, I don't want frugal users topping off on Tesla's dime. Superchargers are for making long distance possible, not daily charging, that is for home.

It could be beneficial if Tesla could make a partnership with a business. Maybe help with the cost of installation if the business pays the power. Another thought I had was that Tesla could licence out the technology and then businesses could install them under a different moniker other than "supercharger". The business could then charge money or set their own rules for patrons to charge. This could allow better city charging infrastructure, protect the free charging benefit of the "supercharger" name, and also provide a solution to apartment dwellers.

+1. I don't see a conflict in announcing that Redbox/coinstar was putting up 2 supercharger compatible spots in the corner of 1000 McDonalds and CVS's that would charge $0.20/kWh to charge. the more the merrier.

Firstly, I didn't say rich people. I said customer base. Many are vegan, vegetarian, or just generally avoid fast food. As for the rich segment of the customer base, many of them are mentally allergic to burgers as mundane as McDonald's. (I'm not one of them.)

Got it, got it. You may be right in that. I was just thinking in terms of the more "mass market" Genr 3 and beyond. Or at least that would be the sales pitch when approaching a huge global chain with the idea.

In the short term, Supercharging Stations will provide a means to travel from one metropolitan area to another. In the long term they will become ubiquitous.

The cost of installing a Supercharging Station is minuscule in comparison to a gas station.

In the short term, Supercharging Stations will provide a means to travel from one metropolitan area to another. In the long term they will become ubiquitous.

The cost of installing a Supercharging Station is minuscule in comparison to a gas station.

But gas stations have faster refueling, so can serve more customers. They don't make much money on the gas , but that's because they have the variety store, coffee, cigarettes, booze and lottery. Now, if Tesla can successfully raise miles per minute and lower battery price (aided by cell manufacturers of course) then you can get the volume that supports urban Superchargers. In fact, as noted Superchargers are cheaper to install, with the mai jssue being that when you scale rates would go up because of electricity demand charges. Maybe best owned by a utility? You can also walk away from a charger so it makes transactions faster or more lucrative. Still, if the charge stations operated the same way, pennies on the gallon, as it were, it wouldn't be much more expensjve then charging at home. And if they offered TOU they'd be quite popular at night. ;) I also wonder abiut space efficiency. It much easker to stick them in a line, but you really don't want people backing out. Of course in the Tesla Model S design people are forced to back in. Nice move on Tesla's part. ;)

Keep in mind...they have to serve more customers, because customers don't have a pump at home.
True... than again that argument only works in the 100k category. As Tesla goes down to lower price segements (and comes to Europe / Asia), more and more of their customers will be parking on the street, living in apartment buildings. Not everyone has a garage, you know... :)

I just took our MS on a 1850 mile, week long journey from San Diego to Lafayette to SF, Berkeley, Napa, Palo Alto, Gilroy (3x), San Jose then back to SD via 101 route. I used in addition to a couple Blink and Chargepoint chargers, I used SC's at Hawthorne, Lebec, Harris Ranch (stinky!), Gilroy 4 times, Atascadero, Buellton and finally at Hawthorne again. I love these SC's. Frankly other public chargers stinks once you get used to SC's. You get spoiled. <heavy sigh>

I'm going to go for something different. Sure the food idea is nice but I really don't think those restaurants, say McDonalds, would benefit greatly just by being next to a SC. I mean McDonald's doesn't need Tesla clients to be even more successful. Number on additional customers gained by being next to a SC IMO would be minimal.

Here are things I'd like to see next to SC's:

- Pay Bathrooms !! - Hawthorne? I couldn't find one during off hours.

- Convenience Stores/Novelty Shops - I don't necessarily want a full meal but could be tricked into picking up use some beef jerky, a big gulp, some gummy bears, Doritos, Cheetos, a microwave burrito, or even a hotdog that's been rotating in that rolling device for 3 days :) I'm assuming people that SC's are used for people on road trips, and you need road trip junk food to fuel your body! Plus I'm a sucker for useless junk :)

- A quick car wash/detailing service. Like a mobile detailing service. Since I'm going to be there for 30-45 minutes (or more if there's a line) I could be convinced to get my car vacuumed, clean the bugs off the grill and windows, etc. I'm not talking a full on detail. Just a quick, hit-and-run clean job. I want my MS to look good when i want to show it off.

- How about a shoe shine?

Any other ideas?

- Pay Bathrooms !! - Hawthorne? I couldn't find one during off hours.
1. As you are facing the Design Studio from the superchargers, look to your right at the SpaceX building.
2. Walk to the SpaceX building until you reach the fencing.
3. Turn left until you reach the road/alley.
4. Turn right and walk a few hundred feet until you see a "white truck/camper".
5. Look closely at the truck/camper, as it is actually a restroom with sink.

On my first visit to Hawthorne, another Tesla owner told me about this.

- - - Updated - - -

hit-and-run
I don't like this phrase when I'm thinking about TesS.