Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Subscription $12.99/m

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about the supercharging subscription. It's $12.99 month it says you pay lowest price. What does lowest price mean? Like if it has an off peak time like 23c it will let you charge at 23c at any time of the day? But if it's one of those middle of nowhere superchargers like Baker CA from LA to Vegas, will you have to pay 43c-50c if it's one set rate for the entire day?

How do you calculate if this is worth it? I only use superchargers on road trips which rarely happen. Most of my local commutes where I go home same day can make it on a full charge. I have a wall connector at home. How much must I spend or charge to break even on that $12.99 before I'm paying less in the long run?

AFAIK, Supercharing Subscription is meant for non-Tesla owners so they can use the Supercharger network. I believe it gives them a discounted cost per kWh and not the "off peak" pricing; something around 20-25%. I'm sure that Google can provide the exact discount.

edit: To clarify (?)... the discount is off the normal cost for non-Tesla charging. This is about $0.10 higher than the normal rates (peak and off-peak I would assume). So if the normal rate is $0.48/kWh to Tesla owners, non-Tesla owner will be charged $0.58/kWh if they do not have a subscription. If they do have a subscription, then they are charged somewhere around the rate that Tesla owners get; $0.58 - 20% discount = $0.46.

Bottom line: Since you have a Tesla, don't worry about getting a Supercharger subscription.

Last edited:
Here's what I found online (Tesla does not seem to have published the exact costs; I couldn't find it on their site):

Quote: (bolding is mine)
Membership
Tesla is also offering a monthly membership option for non-Tesla owners who wish to reduce their price per kilowatt hour. For $12.99/month, non-Tesla owners can subscribe to lower their charging rate to be the same as Tesla vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV
Are you saying I can charge a CCS vehicle at a magic dock supercharger at regular Tesla rates without the monthly fee if I also own a Tesla?
Don't believe so. To charge a non-Tesla CCS vehicle at a station which has the Magic Dock, one has to tell the Tesla app you are charging a CCS vehicle and to select and authorize a specific station. Doing that automatically tells Tesla to charge you the higher rate, unless you have the subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
As above, you have a Tesla, not applicable.

Are you saying I can charge a CCS vehicle at a magic dock supercharger at regular Tesla rates without the monthly fee if I also own a Tesla?
I think what he meant by that is that since he is driving at Tesla at the time, it's not applicable.

If he were to plug in a CCS vehicle to a Magic Dock, ownership of a Tesla vehicle (at least for now) is immaterial.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I guess this is similar to EA's Pass Plus subscription. EA though only charges $4.00.
1679086502751.png

How do you calculate if this is worth it?
I just realized that this question hasn't really been answered here yet. It's really a simple answer (in my mind)....

If you intend to use the Supercharging network to pull power of at least 130kWh for the month, then paying $12.99 for a subscription would be "worth it". This assumes that the non-subscription cost is $0.10 more than normal AND that you have no access to cheaper native CCS chargers.

For example, assume that you own a late model Chevy Bolt and you want to use the Supercharger network for your commuting. A Bolt has a 65kWh battery. 130kWh would be two full charges (0-100%) or four half-charges.