Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging taking more than hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello community,

I have a 2015 Model S P85D. The expected range is 253 miles, but I am now getting 150miles or so. The charging speed at supercharger is really really slow. It takes more than an hour to fill 80% battery. I have collected a lot of data with pictures to prove the charging speed. However, Tesla service is saying that they do not see any issues in their diagnostic test. What can I do get the battery issues resolved?

Here is the doc with all the details I captured so far:

The doc has comments enabled if you all want to add anything there. I would like to get the issue resolved as the car is still in warranty. Any tips?

Customer service response:
“Hello,
I wanted to let you know that we have performed some tests remotely and are not seeing any faults or issues with supercharging. If you are not doing so already I recommend you refer to page 78 and 155 on preconditioning the battery to supercharge. You can also visit our website at (https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging).”

Customer service response:
“Hello,
I wanted to let you know that we have performed some tests remotely and are not seeing any faults or issues with supercharging. If you are not doing so already I recommend you refer to page 78 and 155 on preconditioning the battery to supercharge. You can also visit our website at (https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging).”
Nonsense... escalate the issue to senior management for resolution. Drive to the service center and start with the service manager and go up from there.

Hello community,

I have a 2015 Model S P85D. The expected range is 253 miles, but I am now getting 150miles or so. The charging speed at supercharger is really really slow. It takes more than an hour to fill 80% battery. I have collected a lot of data with pictures to prove the charging speed. However, Tesla service is saying that they do not see any issues in their diagnostic test. What can I do get the battery issues resolved?

The doc has comments enabled if you all want to add anything there. I would like to get the issue resolved as the car is still in warranty. Any tips?
The degradation alone should qualify for a replacement remanufactured battery.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
The degradation alone should qualify for a replacement remanufactured battery.
First, OP’s car has no warranty for degradation. There is nothing to “qualify” for.

Second, OP is almost certainly referring to the estimated number of real world miles they think they can cover, not the actual EPA rated range the car shows at 100%.

Hello community,

Start reading here. This is what is happening to your car. Tesla is not going to do anything for you.

First, OP’s car has no warranty for degradation. There is nothing to “qualify” for.

Second, OP is almost certainly referring to the estimated number of real world miles they think they can cover, not the actual EPA rated range the car shows at 100%.
So the minimum of 70% doesn’t apply?

“8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.”

I do know the warranty has changed over the years.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Abnormal degradation is covered as part of the battery warranty. The difference is the older warranty does not specify a percentage and the newer ones specify 70% of original capacity. Since OP appears to have lost ~40% of original capacity, you could ceretainly make the argument to Service that that is abnormal. Tesla replaced the pack on my '13 P85 after it dropped to 70% of original capacity and kicked of an error message.

Loss of range is different from slow supercharging, which Tesla seems disinclined to do anything about--search the various threads on chargergate.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and SO16
So the minimum of 70% doesn’t apply?
It does not. The 70% language was included when the warranty changed from 8 years unlimited miles to 8 years / 150k. That happened years after OP's 2015 was produced.

Abnormal degradation is covered as part of the battery warranty.
There is no language in the warranty that suggests this. Tesla maybe replaced a few packs back in the day on goodwill, but I have no reason to believe they would do anything of the sort today.

Since OP appears to have lost ~40% of original capacity, you could ceretainly make the argument to Service that that is abnormal.
I'll go on record again and bet dollars to donuts that OP's car does NOT display a 100% rated range of 150 miles.

Tesla replaced the pack on my '13 P85 after it dropped to 70% of original capacity and kicked of an error message.
I bolded the relevant part for you. Malfunctions are of course warrantable. Degradation is not. Nor is supercharging speed as you pointed out. Unfortunately, OP doesn't have much of a case, and Tesla is going to tell them to pound sand.

I have a 2015 Model S P85D. The expected range is 253 miles, but I am now getting 150miles or so. The charging speed at supercharger is really really slow. It takes more than an hour to fill 80% battery...

Sorry to hear about that. Some are still pretty good after 6 years but your case is quite bad. In the early years, cases like yours could get a battery replacement but nowadays, Tesla goes by the book.

That means as @ucmndd said: no 70% battery capacity warranty for your year of 2015 and there's no charging speed warranty for anyone whatever the year is.

Reactions: outdoors
It does not. The 70% language was included when the warranty changed from 8 years unlimited miles to 8 years / 150k. That happened years after OP's 2015 was produced.
Yep. I'm pretty sure you're correct. I don't have a copy of the old warranty booklet/policy handy from back in 2015 but Vehicle Warranty is from 2017 w/no mention of capacity nor degradation being warranted.

was posted ~Feb 1, 2020. Here's a snapshot from around that time with the capacity warranty: Vehicle Warranty.

There is no language in the warranty that suggests this. Tesla maybe replaced a few packs back in the day on goodwill, but I have no reason to believe they would do anything of the sort today.

I'll go on record again and bet dollars to donuts that OP's car does NOT display a 100% rated range of 150 miles.

I bolded the relevant part for you. Malfunctions are of course warrantable. Degradation is not. Nor is supercharging speed as you pointed out. Unfortunately, OP doesn't have much of a case, and Tesla is going to tell them to pound sand.

Agree, normal degradation is not covered--loss of range because of some defect in the battery is covered. If OP's range at 100% is, in fact, 150 miles, then I'd say that indicates one of more problematic modules--something like TM-Spy would be useful. Tesla added HV pack diagnostics somewhere around 2019.40.x.x to improve their ability to diagnose pack issues. My pack was replaced last year because of excessive range loss (because of a dying module).

Also agree, there is no remedy for slow supercharging speeds.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I went to the Tesla service center today morning and didn't get any help on the battery issues. They are saying that the charging speed is NORMAL and degradation is expected after these many years.

I am exploring the option of upgrading the battery pack and seems like I can not get 100kW pack with my car. They can upgrade it to 90kW though, I am still waiting to get the cost estimates on that. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I went to the Tesla service center today morning and didn't get any help on the battery issues. They are saying that the charging speed is NORMAL and degradation is expected after these many years.

I am exploring the option of upgrading the battery pack and seems like I can not get 100kW pack with my car. They can upgrade it to 90kW though, I am still waiting to get the cost estimates on that. Any suggestions?
If your rated miles at a given state of charge correlate to only150 at 100% SoC, you likely get a new 90 pack (100 with two modules removed) very soon as there is something very wrong with your current pack and it won't last long.

If you decide not to wait, said new pack is about 22k, plus 15k if you want to keep the old one...

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Looking at the snapshots in your document, it looks like your battery is doing just as good as any other 85 batteries nowadays.
Basically, adding SoC% to kW is around 100 +/- 10. Not what it used to be (before summer of 2019 or so?), but you’re in the same boat as most 85 cars.

And no, I’m not happy about this either.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
The expected range is 253 miles, but I am now getting 150miles or so.
Yeah, that was misleading in the most generous interpretation. What you are "getting" is most certainly not what is "displaying" and is not relevant. If the car's display was showing half what it was supposed to, service would not blow that off.

My work firewall won't let me view external Google Docs, so I can't see your data directly, but I was about to ask this:
Looking at the snapshots in your document, it looks like your battery is doing just as good as any other 85 batteries nowadays.
Basically, adding SoC% to kW is around 100 +/- 10. Not what it used to be (before summer of 2019 or so?), but you’re in the same boat as most 85 cars.
I have an old 2014 S85. This formula was nearly like clockwork throughout the charging range. If you added up the state of charge in % with the charging power in kW, that stayed pretty close around 120 or so when they were new. After gimping the charging power some, that's been more like around 100 to 110ish. Like I said, I can't see your numbers, but @AustinP said that's about what yours show, so that sounds about normal for charging speeds.

Reactions: aerodyne
Abnormal degradation is covered as part of the battery warranty. The difference is the older warranty does not specify a percentage and the newer ones specify 70% of original capacity. Since OP appears to have lost ~40% of original capacity, you could ceretainly make the argument to Service that that is abnormal. Tesla replaced the pack on my '13 P85 after it dropped to 70% of original capacity and kicked of an error message.

Loss of range is different from slow supercharging, which Tesla seems disinclined to do anything about--search the various threads on chargergate.

And it's virtually impossible for the a P85D to show only 150 RATED miles at 100% and for it to still be working without having thrown some other fatal error.

What is your current rated mileage and SOC? Divide current rated range / (charge% / 100). For example, if it says 200 miles currently at 90%, then your rated range at 100% is 222 miles.

Starting somewhere in V9, Tesla updated the firmware and slowed charging down....a lot. I stuck with V8 for years to not suffer rangegate or chargegate. Unfortunately I wasn't watching chargegate too carefully and once they fixed the range issue I decided to upgrade my MCU to MCU2 which meant moving from 3 year old firmware to current firmware. You can see what it did to my charging over night with just one firmware upgrade.

i-52jrN5q-X4.png

It now takes an hour to go from 20% to 80%.

For medium long trips, we compensate by always charging to 100% before leaving the house even if we didn't need anywhere near that to get to the first supercharger on our leg.

During a long meal stop where I would normally have charged to just enough to get to the next supercharger and then left the table to move the car to make room for other cars and to not stress the battery more than necessary, I now just let it charge to 100%. i.e in cases where I wouldn't have charged fully but could have without loss of time, I now always do so rather than trying to take care of the battery by keeping high SOC charges to a minimum.

Tesla's change to prevent me from charging quicker when I need it has resulted me changing my behavior in a way that is way worse for the battery.