Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging taking more than hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it's virtually impossible for the a P85D to show only 150 RATED miles at 100% and for it to still be working without having thrown some other fatal error.
Agreed. Here is my old pack right before it was replaced and you can clearly see the dying modules.

IMG_0153.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla's change to prevent me from charging quicker when I need it has resulted me changing my behavior in a way that is way worse for the battery.
There is that but also it means stall occupation extended, ie preventing freeing the spot for the next one.
I thought that this would motivate the Tesla engineer to solve this and restore charging speed. I’d guess it’s not possible (because risk of battery failures within warranty is too high) and we are too small a group to matter.

based on the pics in your google doc it looks like you're at normal for an 85. below is my SC speeds for the last 2 years in my P85D and you can see it starts off high at like 120Kw or so then it tapers off pretty quickly getting down to 60kW by the time it hits 40%.

I have taken it to my service center and they did some diag on it and said if its still being funny in a couple months to make another appt. i keep forgetting to make a new appt as its been about 3 months since the last time i complained about the charging speed.

If i plug in at 25% and set it to 100% it will take about 3.5 hours to finish charging it takes about 2.5 hours to get from 20% to 90%

Capture.JPG

• Informative
The MB EQS is worth a serious look. Hatchback, like the MS, but with a sunroof and leather.

As always, the lack of a charging network is the biggest drawback.
I have only made three road trips in 8 years that warranted supercharger use. I think emphasis on the network reliance is overstated. Especially when you have a car with 400-500+ mile range. In this class it's far more about the car than it is about the charging network. As far as I can see, the supercharger network is the only area where Tesla has an advantage. In every other regard they are woefully inadequate at building cars.

I have only made three road trips in 8 years that warranted supercharger use. I think emphasis on the network reliance is overstated. Especially when you have a car with 400-500+ mile range. In this class it's far more about the car than it is about the charging network. As far as I can see, the supercharger network is the only area where Tesla has an advantage. In every other regard they are woefully inadequate at building cars.
if it wasn't for the charging network I'd be up *sugar* creek on charging. i have 116k miles on my car and have charged about 39,000kW worth of juice, of that 18,000 was from a supercharger for free charging. Hell where i live now in the Mojave desert if there was no SC in Barstow i would probably have sold the car because even when i take a trip down the hill to Hesperia or all the way down the hill to LA i have to stop at the SC in Barstow to make it home. before they installed the SC in Hesperia the nearest one was Fontana or San Bernardino which even taking the 3+ hours to charge to 100% from there would barely get me home in my 85.
3 days after i bought the car i drove it from Fremont to North Carolina where i lived at the time. W/O the SC network that would've been a nearly impossible trip to take in the allotted amount of time i was allowed for vacation.
So besides the tech being better in a tesla the charging network is far superior to any other automaker.

well we have news out of Norway that they’re being forced to address nerfed supercharging. Hopefully this picks up steam and Tesla give their North American customers the same courtesy. If not to do the right thing, or to standardize procedures across markets, to get ahead of any nhtsa Recall

Last edited:
Bottom line if they degrade the product (timely supercharging ability), the warranty needs to be extended. They’re changing the goalposts of the warranty via proxy of charging speed limiting. This would be An ok trade off for a longer warranty.

Reactions: Rocky_H
if it wasn't for the charging network I'd be up *sugar* creek on charging. i have 116k miles on my car and have charged about 39,000kW worth of juice, of that 18,000 was from a supercharger for free charging. Hell where i live now in the Mojave desert if there was no SC in Barstow i would probably have sold the car because even when i take a trip down the hill to Hesperia or all the way down the hill to LA i have to stop at the SC in Barstow to make it home. before they installed the SC in Hesperia the nearest one was Fontana or San Bernardino which even taking the 3+ hours to charge to 100% from there would barely get me home in my 85.
3 days after i bought the car i drove it from Fremont to North Carolina where i lived at the time. W/O the SC network that would've been a nearly impossible trip to take in the allotted amount of time i was allowed for vacation.
So besides the tech being better in a tesla the charging network is far superior to any other automaker.
The vast majority of the driving public does not drive like this. In fact, the vast majority drive less than 100 miles per day. Road trips are the exception rather than the rule. I recently test drove the 3/Y and you couldn't give me one of those cars, supercharging network or not. Three other couples in the showroom felt the same way we did and would not buy based on the poor build and ride qualities.
I would love to see this approach succeed in the US.
The lawsuit is already winding its way through the courts. I believe the #batterygate lawsuit also addresses #chargegate.

I would love to see this approach succeed in the US.
Many of the nerfed cars are now owned by someone who was not the original purchaser of the car.
So if there was a judgment in the USA (unlikely as I see it), who would receive the payout? The original owner? Pro-rated based on time of ownership past the date of the nerfing? I have a screen capture somewhere that shows SoC% + kW of 129 in May 2019, which I suppose could be used to show my car's SC speeds were "intact" when I purchased it used.

I don't know if I'd even live long enough to receive anything if a court even ruled I was due a payment. $16K per "85" sold in the USA is a LOT of money (more than the $162M in Norway, there were a lot more than 10K "85"s sold here) and Tesla will fight like a cornered tiger on this one. Delay, appeal, delay, appeal, etc.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Only because Tesla didn’t show up and the win was by default. Probably will be appealed.
The press spokes person claims they didn't know about it and they are verifying why .
Same lawyer tactics like everywhere ........ google translate can be your friend
At least it also made it into norwegian TV besides forums and electric special interest sites.

Last edited:
I wonder what is your mileage on the cars that have nerfed charging speeds? I have 16 S 75 and my charging speeds go as high as 136 and temper down to 85 around 50%. I am still able to charge in 35 minutes to what I need until next stop.

I wonder what is your mileage on the cars that have nerfed charging speeds? I have 16 S 75 and my charging speeds go as high as 136 and temper down to 85 around 50%. I am still able to charge in 35 minutes to what I need until next stop.
2015 S70. 31,000 miles. SOC+kWH nerfed from 120 to 100. At most 15% of charging was supercharging. Basically no reported degradation - still 215 miles range at 90%. Hope that helps.

That's pretty good. At 120,000 miles on recent firmwares my 2016 S75 now sees about 120kw max (around 20% SoC) and tapers pretty quickly, under 70kw by 50%.