TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

***Supercharging** Tesla.com Update

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by T3SLA_LIFE, Apr 9, 2016.

?

Do you think Tesla's decision on Supercharging for Model 3 will be:

Poll closed May 7, 2016.
  1. Pay per charge

28 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Included (at no charge)

37 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. An optional add-on

89 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. T3SLA_LIFE

T3SLA_LIFE Member

I know that we have a couple cluttered threads on this already so I figured I would consolidate the info in a new thread.

NOTE: FOCUS ON THE WORDING (OR LACK THEREOF) UNDER "SUPERCHARGING"

OFFICIAL TESLA.COM 04/01/16
    Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.06.58 PM.png

WEBSITE UPDATE AROUND 04/03/16
    Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.09.01 PM.png
    TESLA.COM UPDATE AS OF LAST NIGHT Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.09.10 PM.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Yes, this change has been discussed in other threads already. The official word is they haven't decided yet. Hence the change.

3. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

It was originally a $2K option on the Model S. I have gone cross-country once in my Model S. Not worth the $2K. Make it pay per charge so you don't overwhelm the chargers in town with those just looking for free juice.

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I wasn't initially a fan of the pay per use model, but it does make sense to stop abuse. Also it will save money for the average owner who only takes occasional trips, compared to a one time fee. Even if they only charge for roughly the electricity cost, say $5 per use.

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I would prefer that this becomes a configurable option...

There has to be some level of concern about capacity or wait times at least initially I'd think?
    How does "abuse" get addressed? It would be tempting to use the SC all the time if I just so happened to live across the street from one...
    As for me personally I do not foresee the need on a regular basis... installed a 220w in my garage when I built it 2yrs ago...so as for this one... I'm OK without it.

(Of course, if u decide to give it free for life Elon....I'd certainly understand and be thankful)

6. KenF

KenF New Member

Personally, would like to see something like....

Standard Supercharging: Pay per charge in local market, up to 10 free charges per year outside market.

Premium Supercharging ($2000?): One free charge per month in local market, unlimited free charges per year outside market.

• Like x 1
  7. Siciliano

Siciliano Member

This I think is would be the best model. Whether or not they charge for the upgrade, limit the number of uses per car. How to implement that is another story. Everyone could have a unique card to scan at the supercharger stations, but then one could use multiple friend or family member's cards, which would defeat the purpose.

It would have to be a unique identifier (a chip of some sort) inside the charging port of each car...problem solved.

8. Bankroetlama

Bankroetlama Member

It already works this way :)! Tesla knows which car is using which supercharger at any moment. That's how they were able to contact people that were abusing the supercharger system.

• Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  9. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Do we need another thread with pages and pages of speculating ways to overcomplicate what is supposed to be a simple system? :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Siciliano

Siciliano Member

Awesome, I didn't know that lol I wasn't aware they were contacting individual people, I just thought they knew about the abuse due to above average draw on certain stations...

11. jkk_

jkk_ Member

How about two so you can get home also? ;)

12. Owner

Owner Active Member

Interesting that they decided to change supercharging capable to supercharging. My thoughts from April 6 still stand though: Model 3 Supercharging Undefined

13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#13 TaoJones, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    This is a common misperception. The poorly-worded letter, evidently written by an intern, approved by legal, and then once blessed, as is often the case, considered sacrosanct prior to distribution, was sent to numerous owners who had never supercharged or who had only supercharged for distance travel exclusive of those areas served by Tesla's commitment to DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE (so stated since late 2014).

As for the other well-meaning, common, and wholly wrong assertion concerning pay-per-use schemes antithetical to Tesla's mission, see this: What wasn't said.

Happily, it seems reasonable that the base Model 3 will offer both supercharging and AP convenience features as post-sale enable-able for a one-time fee upgrades. This is analogous to the first Mustang being released without a radio, as Iacocca at the time (yes, he was at Ford then) wanted an as-low-as-possible price point for what was intended to be an affordable family sedan.

What's going to be particularly interesting (and hopefully we find out at the 2nd reveal prior to the M3 Design Studio going live) is the final initial range options for the M3. The greater the range, the less pressure upon SCs, local and distance, and around and around and around it goes.

Hopefully the above answers your question. For additional clarity, we could insert "also" into the relevant sentence. That letter went out to a whole bunch of people. The majority offenders at the time seemed to be livery owners (taxis/cars for hire) who at least in LA/Orange Counties have been known to use SCs 3-4x/day. Garaged owners are rarely so penny-wise and pound-foolish as to waste their time at an SC; I did meet such a (new) owner at SJC one time - she thought it would be a good idea to use a busy SC while her rate plan changed over (which would take a month). We gently reset her thinking. Unfortunately, like many urban myths, it only takes one real example to cause those not at the few affected locations to think that there's an actual problem in need of solutions such as pay-per-use. Not the case at all - with again, the possible exception of livery. The livery pressure has been seen at Schiphol (airport) as well as a few counties in the US. The other 98% of SCs seem to be largely underutilized, and Tesla has responded by adding more SCs to those areas to which they have committed (DENSITY).

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

If livery usage is the real problem, then they just need to add a condition to the Supercharging option/ability that it is only for personal, or business travel, usage. (No Taxi/Uber/Lyft/etc.) Just like a lot of items void the warranty when used for commercial purposes.

Maybe they could even offer Taxi/Uber/Lyft/etc. services the ability to pay for their own Supercharger, or to add "livery" stalls to existing locations.

I think they need to keep it simple/free, after one-time/built-in payment, for personal use.

15. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

So. The third image seems to settle it for me.

Now, if people could simply stop posting that they would be 'happy to pay' for Supercharging, everything would be fine.

• Like x 2
  16. TravelSD80

TravelSD80 Member

I personally hope they don't bundle in Supercharging into the M3 price. I would rarely use it, and don't want the base price inflated to cover something I'll almost never use. I would support some type of pay-per-use model, or bundle in free like 12 charges a year then pay after that. I would rather put $2K towards options or taxes then into SC.

17. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Well one thing is for sure. No matter what they do, they won't be able to please everyone.

• Love x 1
  18. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I would love if everyone would keep the discussion here based around the poll and its results, and move any Supercharging-related horse beating to this thread.

19. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

The base price would be $35,000 whether they include Supercharger access or not. If they don't, you'd pay the $35,000 and not have the Supercharger access you don't want. If they do, you'd pay the $35,000 and not have to use Superchargers at all. You will not get a discount on the car for NOT having Supercharger access. It wouldn't be 'inflated', it would be the cost.