Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

***Supercharging** Tesla.com Update

Do you think Tesla's decision on Supercharging for Model 3 will be:

• Pay per charge

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • Included (at no charge)

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • An optional add-on

Votes: 89 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that we have a couple cluttered threads on this already so I figured I would consolidate the info in a new thread.

NOTE: FOCUS ON THE WORDING (OR LACK THEREOF) UNDER "SUPERCHARGING"

OFFICIAL TESLA.COM 04/01/16
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.06.58 PM.png

WEBSITE UPDATE AROUND 04/03/16
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.09.01 PM.png

TESLA.COM UPDATE AS OF LAST NIGHT
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.09.10 PM.png

I would prefer that this becomes a configurable option...

There has to be some level of concern about capacity or wait times at least initially I'd think?
How does "abuse" get addressed? It would be tempting to use the SC all the time if I just so happened to live across the street from one...
As for me personally I do not foresee the need on a regular basis... installed a 220w in my garage when I built it 2yrs ago...so as for this one... I'm OK without it.

(Of course, if u decide to give it free for life Elon....I'd certainly understand and be thankful)

Personally, would like to see something like....

Standard Supercharging: Pay per charge in local market, up to 10 free charges per year outside market.

Premium Supercharging ($2000?): One free charge per month in local market, unlimited free charges per year outside market.

Reactions: Siciliano
Personally, would like to see something like....

Standard Supercharging: Pay per charge in local market, up to 10 free charges per year outside market.

Premium Supercharging ($2000?): One free charge per month in local market, unlimited free charges per year outside market.

This I think is would be the best model. Whether or not they charge for the upgrade, limit the number of uses per car. How to implement that is another story. Everyone could have a unique card to scan at the supercharger stations, but then one could use multiple friend or family member's cards, which would defeat the purpose.

It would have to be a unique identifier (a chip of some sort) inside the charging port of each car...problem solved.

It already works this way :)! Tesla knows which car is using which supercharger at any moment. That's how they were able to contact people that were abusing the supercharger system.

This is a common misperception. The poorly-worded letter, evidently written by an intern, approved by legal, and then once blessed, as is often the case, considered sacrosanct prior to distribution, was sent to numerous owners who had never supercharged or who had only supercharged for distance travel exclusive of those areas served by Tesla's commitment to DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE (so stated since late 2014).

As for the other well-meaning, common, and wholly wrong assertion concerning pay-per-use schemes antithetical to Tesla's mission, see this: What wasn't said.

Happily, it seems reasonable that the base Model 3 will offer both supercharging and AP convenience features as post-sale enable-able for a one-time fee upgrades. This is analogous to the first Mustang being released without a radio, as Iacocca at the time (yes, he was at Ford then) wanted an as-low-as-possible price point for what was intended to be an affordable family sedan.

What's going to be particularly interesting (and hopefully we find out at the 2nd reveal prior to the M3 Design Studio going live) is the final initial range options for the M3. The greater the range, the less pressure upon SCs, local and distance, and around and around and around it goes.

Seriously why does someone give me a dislike for a perfectly valid post.

Hopefully the above answers your question. For additional clarity, we could insert "also" into the relevant sentence. That letter went out to a whole bunch of people. The majority offenders at the time seemed to be livery owners (taxis/cars for hire) who at least in LA/Orange Counties have been known to use SCs 3-4x/day. Garaged owners are rarely so penny-wise and pound-foolish as to waste their time at an SC; I did meet such a (new) owner at SJC one time - she thought it would be a good idea to use a busy SC while her rate plan changed over (which would take a month). We gently reset her thinking. Unfortunately, like many urban myths, it only takes one real example to cause those not at the few affected locations to think that there's an actual problem in need of solutions such as pay-per-use. Not the case at all - with again, the possible exception of livery. The livery pressure has been seen at Schiphol (airport) as well as a few counties in the US. The other 98% of SCs seem to be largely underutilized, and Tesla has responded by adding more SCs to those areas to which they have committed (DENSITY).

Last edited:
Hopefully the above answers your question. For additional clarity, we could insert "also" into the relevant sentence. That letter went out to a whole bunch of people. The majority offenders at the time seemed to be livery owners (taxis/cars for hire) who at least in LA/Orange Counties have been known to use SCs 3-4x/day. Garaged owners are rarely so penny-wise and pound-foolish as to waste their time at an SC; I did meet such a (new) owner at SJC one time - she thought it would be a good idea to use a busy SC while her rate plan changed over (which would take a month). We gently reset her thinking. Unfortunately, like many urban myths, it only takes one real example to cause those not at the few affected locations to think that there's an actual problem in need of solutions such as pay-per-use. Not the case at all - with again, the possible exception of livery. The livery pressure has been seen at Schiphol (airport) as well as a few counties in the US. The other 98% of SCs seem to be largely underutilized, and Tesla has responded by adding more SCs to those areas to which they have committed (DENSITY).

If livery usage is the real problem, then they just need to add a condition to the Supercharging option/ability that it is only for personal, or business travel, usage. (No Taxi/Uber/Lyft/etc.) Just like a lot of items void the warranty when used for commercial purposes.

Maybe they could even offer Taxi/Uber/Lyft/etc. services the ability to pay for their own Supercharger, or to add "livery" stalls to existing locations.

I think they need to keep it simple/free, after one-time/built-in payment, for personal use.

I personally hope they don't bundle in Supercharging into the M3 price. I would rarely use it, and don't want the base price inflated to cover something I'll almost never use. I would support some type of pay-per-use model, or bundle in free like 12 charges a year then pay after that. I would rather put $2K towards options or taxes then into SC.

I personally hope they don't bundle in Supercharging into the M3 price. I would rarely use it, and don't want the base price inflated to cover something I'll almost never use.
The base price would be $35,000 whether they include Supercharger access or not. If they don't, you'd pay the $35,000 and not have the Supercharger access you don't want. If they do, you'd pay the $35,000 and not have to use Superchargers at all. You will not get a discount on the car for NOT having Supercharger access. It wouldn't be 'inflated', it would be the cost.