Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging time and required charge inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We frequent the same trip to Vermont up the throughway weekly. Typically we need to stop and charge between 20-30 minutes depending on wind, weather... etc... We've been doing this trip for years now and used to do it with our Model X 90D. Lately in our Model Y LR I've noticed when we stop the car is overestimating the amount of time we need to sit at the supercharger. Yesterday coming home from Vermont we stopped at New Paltz which is a V3 superchager. The map estimated we would end up at the supercharger at 6% SOC which is did very accurately the whole way there. It was estimating we needed to sit at the V3 charger for 35 minutes to reach our destination. I watched the charging and when it was estimating that we would have 10% at our destination I pulled the charging cable and we starting heading for our destination. Immediately it jumped from 10% to 22% at our destination and kept climbing to 31% SOC when we reached our destination. Its overestimating by almost 20%. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I almost feel like the car wants to sit there longer to cost more to charge. The estimate used to be a lot more accurate.

There are many factors that affect energy consumption, some of which the Tesla navigation and estimation system cannot account for. Maybe you were driving 75-80mph so far, and the system estimated using that, but you hit traffic in the following leg so your SOC at arrival went up.

Reactions: WhiteWi
There are many factors that affect energy consumption, some of which the Tesla navigation and estimation system cannot account for. Maybe you were driving 75-80mph so far, and the system estimated using that, but you hit traffic in the following leg so your SOC at arrival went up.
This is something that has changed recently this is not a driving habit. If it were 2 minutes after unplugging the SOC at the destination wouldn't have jumped 12%.