Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to be uncoupled for new owners - lowering price of S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally really love that Tesla is offering this option. I thinking giving people the choice to pay as you go makes sense and I actually believe will help to reduce congestion (now or in the future) at sc locations. People will use the superchargers because they need to and not simply because they can save $2-$10 vs. charging at home. I get the appeal of "free for life" but ultimately the math still works out to some cost per charge.

I think the abrasion of paying at the pump has been more about having to have a membership card and worse, having that card not work. However, Tesla's approach is probably going to be more like Uber or prepaid mobile plans. You have the convenience of simply using the service and the payment is worked out behind the scenes.

I have no problem with other brands using SC network as long as they pay for it as Elon suggested, but that is why no other company wants to do this. If they have to pay, they will be making Tesla stronger.

My concern is that the build out of the SC network continues, there are still large areas of the US that are not covered and as for China, there is just too much country and too few Tesla owners currently.

I will be rectifying this slightly next week when we pick our Model X

Sorry--can't get on board with other brands using SC network.......

No matter what Tesla Motors does, the DCFC network is growing, and some people with Teslas use non Tesla charging today because the SC network needs more expansion.

Somebody is eventually going to make money by owning EV infrastructure. Today, the SC network is a 'cost center'. It does not generate income to support it's expansion. Money for the expansion will come from the Tesla Motors warchest. So would you rather have more money invested in the cars while accelerating the SC expansion, or get slower development of the cars and slower expansion of the network?

Tesla Motors can either be run like a Church, or a Business. Running it like business will benefit mankind, running it like a church will benefit existing Tesla owners. Make no mistake:

Most cars do not require remote charging, and most gas cars do not require gas cans to venture into areas where fuel stations are rare.

There will be a nationwide non-Tesla grid. It happening. Already, L2 charging is coast to coast.

10 years from now, when the DCFC grid is populated, who will be getting the profits from it? Hopefully, it's Tesla since they have the head start.

Last edited:

I don't mind this as long as in doing so, it does not push Tesla to cater to the lowest denominator when it comes to the experience. Tesla has the ability, through direct communication with its cars, to automatically track charging and hence billing. Non-Tesla cars won't have this ability built in. However, I could imagine that it could be built into the adapter. Make the adapter wifi and/or bluetooth enabled and load the adapter with kWH credits using your phone. If the adapter runs out of credits, charging stops.

I don't mind this as long as in doing so, it does not push Tesla to cater to the lowest denominator when it comes to the experience. Tesla has the ability, through direct communication with its cars, to automatically track charging and hence billing. Non-Tesla cars won't have this ability built in. However, I could imagine that it could be built into the adapter. Make the adapter wifi and/or bluetooth enabled and load the adapter with kWH credits using your phone. If the adapter runs out of credits, charging stops.
I believe that Elon said that automakers would be welcome to use the network but would have to build cars to do it - meaning charging capability (not currently possible with Tesla SCs) and I would assume, a way to identify for billing.

I believe that Elon said that automakers would be welcome to use the network but would have to build cars to do it - meaning charging capability (not currently possible with Tesla SCs) and I would assume, a way to identify for billing.

Yep, I read that as well. Perhaps he's taking this approach to make it harder/more expensive :) for other makers. My approach would put the control back in Tesla's hands and would be a bit more ubiquitous. Tesla can make such smart Chademo and CCS to Tesla adapters and roll it out faster than the other makers.

Actually doing so, Tesla almost guarantees it will be here forever. If all other EV brands need Tesla to quick charge their cars, and paying some sort of royalty to Tesla, it would be a major income for them.

And remember that getting some sort of standard quick charge it's a major stepping stone for accelerating the EV "revolution".

Something to understand about Capital. It never sleeps.

Every SC that is not pumping electrons this minute is wasted capital. These are 24/7/365 capable systems.

I'd exempt the SC locations that exhibit full loading from other brands. Only the underutilized locations should allow other brands, and they should pay a premium. Just like gas cost more in remote locations, so should DCFC since the capital costs per day will be higher due to underutilization.

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140 and ohmman

It seems funky at first, but if you think of Tesla as an energy company (which is how they view themselves), it makes perfect sense...just as someone like Exxon extracts, refines, and sells oil/gas, Tesla is in the best position to do the same for the coming transition to electric cars.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Let me add just one more argument to this with a question:

How many Teslas are not bought today because people are far from a SC?

I think the larger issue is distance from a service center. The closest supercharger to us is 100 miles so I guess that's reasonable, though having one even closer didn't factor into our decision to purchase. My guess is that if someone is more than 200 miles from a super charger, they're much farther away from a service center, which is a much bigger issue because you can't get service in your own garage, whereas you can get a nightly charge.

And remember that getting some sort of standard quick charge it's a major stepping stone for accelerating the EV "revolution"
Unfortunately, history shows that we're usually punished for early standards. E.g., how's that QWERTY keyboard workin' out for you?
While the generalization and unification of charging infrastructure is inevitable, and no-doubt for the betterment of the world at large,
it seems likely to be mostly downside for current, privileged Tesla owners. Arguably we've got it "unreasonably" good right now, so a
return to normal can only hurt us. Once other brands are entangled in the SpC system I don't see how the pace of innovation there
can do anything but slow down. Soon graying engineers like me will be sitting around at standards committee meetings in exotic locales
arguing about minute compatibility details.

I think the larger issue is distance from a service center. The closest supercharger to us is 100 miles so I guess that's reasonable, though having one even closer didn't factor into our decision to purchase. My guess is that if someone is more than 200 miles from a super charger, they're much farther away from a service center, which is a much bigger issue because you can't get service in your own garage, whereas you can get a nightly charge.

Well put.

That's why I admire (with massive envy) those that bought a MS here in Portugal, considering the price of the car, if they what to service it, have to transport it to France. And of course no SC around, yet.

Reactions: jbcarioca