Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to become limited for new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone show me the terms and conditions we agreed to when we purchased our cars? My memory recollection is free charging for the life of the car, nothing about the owner, original owner etc.

Your recollection is absolutely correct. No mention of original owner or any owner. There is no doubt about it otherwise they would've said "...free for the duration of ownership" or something along those lines.

How much does it cost to use the Superchargers?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S and Model X, once the Supercharger option is enabled.

Supercharging

@WhiteStar ... Looks like wording for those that paid for the SC upgrade/option, I bought my Tesla when it was included in the purchase price....wouldn't have access to that wording?

ECIT mine was included too. I cannot find any other reference at all. It is reasonable to think that Tesla will honour this for all current cars and limit future vehicles but you are right, it isn't clear that the wording applies to either or both the included SC or paid SC option.

If it is included as an option or paid for it would have to the same terms of use particularly if it is noted on your options as 'included'. Otherwise they would have to put a special exclusion in the contract stating that as it is an included extra it has different terms and the terms would need to be stated.

If it is included as an option or paid for it would have to the same terms of use particularly if it is noted on your options as 'included'. Otherwise they would have to put a special exclusion in the contract stating that as it is an included extra it has different terms and the terms would need to be stated.

That makes sense. I had a look at the Purchase Agreement and nothing is mentioned about Supercharging at all. In fact they are the most concise & clear plain English Terms & Conditions I have ever seen anywhere…unlike any other company that I can recall. Most other companies have multiple documents that are dozens of pages of complex indecipherable legalese. That signals Tesla’s obvious corporate good faith. I really do believe Tesla is one of the most trustworthy corporations anywhere in the world.

I’m looking forward to more specific details about this, such as if it is rolls over each calendar year or on your purchase date, and how much flexibility there will be to rollover unused credit to the next year, as is done with mobile plans.

Since I’m in Tassie, I would very rarely have the ability or need or go to a SC – but when I do make the ferry trip, I’d be using them a lot! Of course 400 kWh of annual “free fuel” is still a great deal, and no doubt there will be numerous ways (pay per use, bulk pre-pay in advance, etc) to top up the credit.

Should be good for resale of older cars. Would imagine anyone running a taxi/fleet and frequently using (abusing) the system would start targeting private sales. I have no doubt that Tesla will strip the option from any that pass through them as CPO.

Have to think that any with AP2 hardware will be really desirable once the cars can self drive. Get to work and then tell the car to go off and get itself a free charge. Don't really care how long it takes or how long the car has to queue, just so long as it's back by the end of the work day.

Which I guess is why Tesla is implementing the change....

Depending on how much the supercharger costs I doubt that it will have much effect on resale value. During my 2 years with the car I might have exceeded the limit once. If that costs an average person say $200 per year then it'd be lucky to add $1000 to the value.

I always saw the superchargers as a way to enable long trips, not for daily charging, To use one for daily driving would be inconvenient compared to charging at home. On a trip it's another matter, but even $100 ICE fill ups don't deter people from traveling much.

Using my car as an uber or hire car though the resale value would be higher as that's where local supercharging makes a huge annual,difference.