Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging too expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks very much like superchargers are a profit center. The Taupo superchargers are a case in point, The Tesla superchargers are 73c/kWh, for V1(?) superchargers (125kW max), while about 500m away (in a better location) are the ChargeNet HPCs, (300kW max) who only charge 60c/kWh, for faster newer chargers, that are definitely being run for profit.

Its hard to argue from such a position of ignorance.

Chargenet get public funding for their chargers, who knows what the install and rent costs are etc?
The taupo superchargers are on council land, out of the town center, rent will be insignificant, likely a peppercorn rent for legal reasons.
They will open up the SC network but that wasnt a thing at least for the LEVC period.

Chargenet get like $300k or something per (hyper) charger, that couldnt possibly have an impact on pricing hey.
Lol, the documents have already been linked, chargeNet got $257k for the 2 chargers at Taupo. So $130k per charger. Not $300k per charger. Lol. It'd take Tesla 5-6 charging sessions a day per charger to cover that over 8 years at the current price differential.
God the Tesla fanbois are tedious.

Recently went to Tauranga... Farmers auto super charger 100KW charger on chargenet for free.... good initiative. There are many free chargers on chargenet.
Also highlighted predicament of EV car owner when travelling... when there are many chargers around - Tesla can be charged in only one of the two parking slots at Chargenet locations due to charging cable location and length. At Tauranga I had multiple instances where other Tesla/EV need to wait or I need to stop my charging mid charging to allow someone else to charge.

Considering more and more EV are on road, we will see some queues building up in not so far future. (and more profiteering kicking in in many cases)

Also highlighted predicament of EV car owner when travelling... when there are many chargers around - Tesla can be charged in only one of the two parking slots at Chargenet locations due to charging cable location and length. At Tauranga I had multiple instances where other Tesla/EV need to wait or I need to stop my charging mid charging to allow someone else to charge.

Considering more and more EV are on road, we will see some queues building up in not so far future. (and more profiteering kicking in in many cases)
I guess it's a bit of chicken and egg situation although the LETF , with 4 million up for grabs will help
I think northwest mall west Auckland has recently put 6 more AC chargers

Not sure how I'd feel if Tesla opened up Supercharging to other EV's
Probably if I'm being honest I would not like it at all, it's bad enough with the vector chargers having to wait
It would be much worse having superchargers clogged with slow charging leafs with dodgy DIY adapters
But I suppose it would save me paying Tesla corolla prices!
Thank you you slow charging EV's saving me a fortune....off to buy more Tesla shares :)

wow I should pay more attention to chargenet I assumed only the AC charging was free
I saw so many 50KW for free, free Tesla home chargers at Mitre10 stores also a good initiative... same at many supermarkets... free charging is more common than one would think. Makes one cringe on Tesla's overcharged super-chargers.

It's like iOS and Android.... when Apple launched first proper smartphone, and created a cult following for closed ecosystem - Android put smarter technology inside every devices one could imagine, and in eve3ry budget levels reaching poorest of the world population...

Apple might have bring us smartphone, but Android made it mainstream and bring humans closer to each-other and technology.
Tesla might have bring us better electric cars, but if they follow Apple path (as they are) they wouldn't do what Android did for smartphones and other car companies (existing and new ones) will overtake in few years....

Last edited:
I don't think other traditional car manufactures will overtake or catch Tesla
The best they can do is try and copy, they are probably going to have to, to survive the new world order
Gone are the days of changing headlights and maybe bunging a new grill on.
Slapping each other on the back for a job well done, there's next years model done lads

Tesla does not sit about doing nothing
Right'o lads we've done it our cars are better than everyone one else's, time to Netflix and chill for the next 5 years
My 2019 car has been superseded and improved upon by constant iteration
I also have to expect sometime in the future because of Tesla not standing still, my car will be left behind

Tesla is Apple like in some ways and not in others, maybe more like the Apple of old
Tesla is forcing the traditional car manufactures into the 21 century by producing cars of the future today
Rather like how Apple forced cell phone manufactures to evolve or die with the iphone completely changing the playing field
The usurper sadly now has become the traditional, the "one more thing" is now just better camera or faster CPU
Nothing really new since the iphone and ipad, admittedly a hard act to follow

I suppose it all depends on if Tesla stops innovating, I don't see that happening while Musk is there
I guess time will tell

How about those Supercharger prices $$