Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides V3, they are also upgrading V2 to 145kW and eliminating the splitting that occurs in paired stalls.
The sharing in V2 is inherent in the design -- there's only 145kW of transformers. So sharing will still be there, it's just that if you're sitting in a stall all by yourself it will no longer limit you to 120kW.

I'm still torn on if we will actually get the 145 kW on current/older S/X. The reason I say this is because the presentation talking about superchargers mentions 25% faster charge TIME which is also noted as being possible from battery preheating. I want the 145 kW charging capability (along with a different charge curve), but since it says time and not 25% faster charge speeds, it makes me wonder. I haven't been able to find anything that specifies this higher charge speed/rate. I hope I'm wrong.

My understanding is that existing 100's will get the 145kW rate, and there's a post somewhere on this forum verifying that. For any Model S/X with a smaller/older battery the charge rate will not increase. We are on a road trip now and the max charge rate is in the ~100kW range it always has been.

My understanding is that existing 100's will get the 145kW rate, and there's a post somewhere on this forum verifying that. For any Model S/X with a smaller/older battery the charge rate will not increase. We are on a road trip now and the max charge rate is in the ~100kW range it always has been.

I've been able to get 141kw on my 2017 Model S P100D. The 2018 Model X 75D now gets up to 105kw and someone reported 109kw.

So it looks like 100 and 75 kWh packs got the upgrade. Still waiting to see if the 90 kWh packs also get an update in the coming months.

Reactions: camthehombre
The updates to V2 charging speed have already happened on S/X. But there’s nothing for v3 yet.

Not all Model S and Model X... It's based on battery size. 100 and 75 batteries have the update. My 90 has not received any sort of mention of increase speeds in the release notes, and I'm on 2019.16.2 for my Model S 90D.

Not all Model S and Model X... It's based on battery size. 100 and 75 batteries have the update. My 90 has not received any sort of mention of increase speeds in the release notes, and I'm on 2019.16.2 for my Model S 90D.
I’m worried those batteries won’t get anything..... the 90kWh pack was the one with the worst throttling for frequent supercharging users. Would love to be wrong on that.

I supercharged my 2017 90D last weekend at a 150kw station and saw 115kw I think that’s maybe 5kw faster than I’ve seen before so they may have bumped it ever so slightly.

Reactions: zanary
It’s definitely not true. There is no magic way to unpair SCv2 stalls without completely re-architecting every individual station.
Could they not do it with software/firmware? I have no idea how they work, but I’ve read that they have firmware on the superchargers and it makes me curious if a firmware update could change the functionality, just like bumping from 120 kW to 145?