Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging will be grandfathered into used cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received email confirmation today from Tesla CS that the free supercharging will transfer to future owners. I know there had been some question regarding this.
"You will not have to worry about that as it is not the date of ownership transfer/purchase that determines eligibility for this benefit, but the production date of the vehicle. Your Model S’ production date is .......... which falls before the January 1st change, so regardless of how many times this vehicle is sold in the future it will remain eligible.

Hope this information is helpful to the community

I suspect Tesla could probably get away with removing the free Supercharging from CPO cars, because they wouldn't be diminishing the value of a third party seller's car.

On the other hand, it's excellent news that they've confirmed free Supercharging goes with the car. It would be a selling feature for the used car.

I think this still needs to be clarified for CPO cars. It wasn't relevant to the OP's question so the answer might not have included that situation.

I can't think of any reason for Tesla to sell CPO cars with unlimited supercharging when new cars don't have it. The promise was to the owner of the car. Now that Tesla owns the car the promise is no longer relevant. The car doesn't know or care about it.

CPO purchasers are likely more price sensitive than new car buyers. If anyone will be clogging local superchargers when they could be charging at home, it would be CPO cars more than new cars.

From what Fremont Cali Tesla CPO Manager (Dylan) and West Palm Beach CPO manager (Sean) the unlimited goes away on the CPO cars. My guess is they are treating the car like a like "new" car since the warranty is 4/50. And, since its after Jan 1. SC goes away. If you click the 1000 buy it now option you get grandfathered in but, if you change it to a new car if you have an issue after the 1-1 its no longer valid.

From what Fremont Cali Tesla CPO Manager (Dylan) and West Palm Beach CPO manager (Sean) the unlimited goes away on the CPO cars. My guess is they are treating the car like a like "new" car since the warranty is 4/50. And, since its after Jan 1. SC goes away. If you click the 1000 buy it now option you get grandfathered in but, if you change it to a new car if you have an issue after the 1-1 its no longer valid.

Please use the correct nomenclature for the Golden State ... CA or California is fine, all others may result in a lifetime ban :cool:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and dgpcolorado
New I wonder how this reconciles with the change in the CPO inventory removing the word "Supercharging" from their option description.
Hmm...I was wondering the same thing. And then I read this post after yours...
From what Fremont Cali Tesla CPO Manager (Dylan) and West Palm Beach CPO manager (Sean) the unlimited goes away on the CPO cars. My guess is they are treating the car like a like "new" car since the warranty is 4/50. And, since its after Jan 1. SC goes away.
That could explain it. But we still don't know for sure.

So, my first thought was, someday when I go to sell my "classic" Model S I could get more for it selling privately than trading it in to Tesla. Or I could sell it to Carmax since they could re-sell it and the free unlimited Supercharging would stay with the car and be usable by the new owner.

But then I can trade it in to Tesla for whatever Carmax will give me, since many people have posted that Tesla will match whatever Carmax quotes.

So whether I could get more on the private market than I could from Carmax or Tesla, well probably I could. Can't predict how much more. But it would be more hassle.

You will not have to worry about that as it is not the date of ownership transfer/purchase that determines eligibility for this benefit, but the production date of the vehicle. Your Model S’ production date is .......... which falls before the January 1st change, so regardless of how many times this vehicle is sold in the future it will remain eligible.

That will make the used market interesting if CPOs do lose their unlimited supercharging. Someone could buy a 2013 CPO next week without supercharging, then sell it on the private market a few years later. Trying to determine if a car does or does not have supercharging will become challenging to say the least.

Incase anyone wants to see directly from Tesla CPO manager vs my word see he email comments here
Screenshot_20161229-225337.jpg

Someone could buy a 2013 CPO next week without supercharging, then sell it on the private market a few years later. Trying to determine if a car does or does not have supercharging will become challenging to say the least.
I hadn't thought about that yet, but that is a good point. I snuck in under the wire last week on my CPO will be selling as soon as my 3 is in the queue for production. I'm guessing a screen cap of the car's features would suffice on the for sale listing if it holds true that CPO's are grandfathered with transferrable SC'ing.

So does anyone know own what the "unlimited" really is since it's discouraged for local charging often making it "limited" @ Tesla discretion.

What is considered acceptable before you get a nasty gram from Tesla. 1000 miles a year = 74 dollars is more of a joke to me and why even offer that.

So does anyone know own what the "unlimited" really is since it's discouraged for local charging often making it "limited" @ Tesla discretion.

What is considered acceptable before you get a nasty gram from Tesla. 1000 miles a year = 74 dollars is more of a joke to me and why even offer that.
There are plenty of people who have traveled cross-country or taken multiple long road trips. Unlimited is for long distance travel. If you travel a lot, it has some value.

I met a guy at the Hawthorne Supercharger who is a professional poker player. He drives up and down the coast from Seattle to San Diego, playing in tournaments. I forget how many miles he had on the car, but it was enough that unlimited Supercharging was worth well more than $75/year to him.

I've made the point in other threads that unlimited Supercharging isn't really all that valuable except for road warriors, apartment dwellers, and rides-for-hire/taxi services. Technically, only the first of those parties qualifies for unlimited Supercharging as an enabler of long-distance travel.

The depreciation on my Model S and X has been strongly outpacing the value that unlimited Supercharging has brought me. I would guess that's the story for nearly all owners.

From Orlando to boca is 440 miles round trip and I go 4 times a year that right there is 1760 miles. So I can't say...

I am not a shareholder but unlimited to 75 dollars is a bit extreme lol
5000 miles would be about $375 a year by your math. Is that reasonable? It also seems like nothing compared to depreciation on the vehicle, so I'm guessing you'd find that too minimal as well. I don't really understand the reasoning behind complaining about a gimme. Maybe you're suggesting they don't provide any free Supercharging. Just 100% pay as you go. I don't necessarily agree, but I suppose I can get behind the simplicity of it.

With unlimited, I think one could drive 30k miles a year long distance and not get a "nasty-gram" from Tesla. But if one is convenience or opportunity charging, they probably ought to.

Your question gets at the value of unlimited Supercharging. It's just not that valuable to the vast majority of people if you look at it solely from a financial perspective. Psychologically, it had enormous value, and I think that's why the reactions are what they are.