Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging will be grandfathered into used cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I have said before, this was never supposed to be about the fuel saving, it was supposed to be about range anxiety. Many things have changes since it was introduced - including longer range but more importantly the buyer is (generally) better informed today. As for the idea abusers will be CPO owners, I am lead to believe most abuser were sold the idea it was OK to use the local SC as their apartment, home, etc did not allow for charging. That sales pitch started long before the CPO program existed.

It would not be reasonable for Tesla to sell a new vehicle with limited free SC, and a CPO with full when both buyers are treated to all intents and purposes the same. It would be sideways encouragement to buy CPO over inventory - not something their books want.

5000 miles would be about $375 a year by your math. Is that reasonable? It also seems like nothing compared to depreciation on the vehicle, so I'm guessing you'd find that too minimal as well. I don't really understand the reasoning behind complaining about a gimme. Maybe you're suggesting they don't provide any free Supercharging. Just 100% pay as you go. I don't necessarily agree, but I suppose I can get behind the simplicity of it.

With unlimited, I think one could drive 30k miles a year long distance and not get a "nasty-gram" from Tesla. But if one is convenience or opportunity charging, they probably ought to.

Your question gets at the value of unlimited Supercharging. It's just not that valuable to the vast majority of people if you look at it solely from a financial perspective. Psychologically, it had enormous value, and I think that's why the reactions are what they are.

It maybe mental but 375 a year pays for my sons Xmas gifts haha