Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging With DLR lights on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was with my Son other day and walking away from the Supercharger I looked back and saw he left the DRL's on.

At first i was like hey we have to turn them off, and he said why its charging.

It looked great having them on just parked there.

So thats my new Display function while Supercharging.

Anybody else do this?

The Tesla Service Center in San Rafael CA has a row of HPWCs in a parking area facing the freeway. At night they have their demo cars plugged in facing the freeway and they leave the DRLs on. Looks cool.
Would be cooler if they had a row of Model X's doing the Christmas light show!

Although it might cause a fender bender or two on the freeway

I can't get this to work on US spec'd Tesla.

I do have the DRL option, but that only seems to function when I have the car on (pushing the brake) and the headlights set to off.

The only option that does work is the parking lights which isn't just the DRL. Maybe the OP meant the parking lights.

On Canadian cars the DLR's are permanently on, but will go out when you enter park mode and exit the car. You can get them to stay on if you leave the car in neutral and engage the parking brake from the touchscreen. Not sure if they stay on when you lock the car though. I do this when leaving someone sitting in the car so the heat and radio stay on.

Yes to parking lights

Today I charged at the Oxnard Superchargers

and put the parking lights on to display the DRL's
after I left the car.

Saw a P90D Model X in red as it was leaving.
Its DRL's were not very bright, but it was cool to see one in the wild.

and put the parking lights on to display the DRL's
after I left the car.

Saw a P90D Model X in red as it was leaving.
Its DRL's were not very bright, but it was cool to see one in the wild.

Just for clarity, the DRLs and the Parking Lights both use the LED "eyebrows" around the headlight enclosure. "Dim" is Parking Light mode and "Bright" is DRL mode. AFAIK, there is no way to get out of the car and leave it in DRL (aka Bright) mode, only in Parking Light mode. Correct?

I only discovered today that putting the car in neutral and engaging the parking brake from the touchscreen seems to leave the DRL's on, along with all the electronics and heater. I'm assuming these are not the parking lights as none of the other lights were on, just the LED eyebrows. The car is still "on" when you do this - I didn't lock it as I left someone sitting in it. I don't know if locking the car will turn everything off or not, but it seems likely.