Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging with storms near

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Serious question...

I'm supercharging and there are lightning strikes within 10 miles.

Should I:
1. stay in the car while it charges
2. step 20 feet away on parking lot pavement
3. stop charging but stay near charger
4. stop charging and move away from charger
5. something else

Blanding, UT.

Note that there are a half dozen trees within 20 ft of the supercharger parking spots.

Absolutely, positively stay in the car. It's a Faraday cage and will protect you from direct lightening strikes on and around your car, which is by far the greatest danger in a thunderstorm. Never, ever stand outside when lightning is nearby.

Any surge from a strike on a power line nearby will be taken up by the transformers blowing out upstream of the Supercharger or the Supercharger hardware itself. Only in the rarest of circumstances would a surge make it all the way to the battery. Even then, that system is isolated from the rest of the car and should pose no danger to you inside. If it did, then you'd already have more to worry about from 300A at 400V pumping into the car from Supercharging.

If it's safe when you arrive (no lightning strikes in the immediate vicinity), hop out, quickly plug in, get back in the car, charge up and don't worry about it. Just wait until the storm passes before getting back out to unplug.

For those that might be concerned or curious, the storm stayed a few miles away while I charged up. Due to some surprising evening wisdom I decided to stay the night at a hotel in town rather than drive in the yuck.