Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

supercharging

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
I had free supercharging with my 2013 model S but not with my 2016 model S Why the difference ?
You can look at it several ways, but I view the early free Supercharging as an perk for (relatively) early adopters to demonstrate the viability of long-distance travel with Teslas. It's not really sustainable now that there are a lot more Teslas than there were in 2013, and anecdotally there are more owners using Superchargers for their daily charging needs (rather than long-distance travel).

Bruce.

Upvote 0

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Your 2016 will have had free supercharging when it was new. If it doesn’t now, Tesla has removed it - which they have been doing to cars that pass through their hands as preowned, trade-ins, lease returns etc since mid-2019.
Yes, Tesla has always been doing that, and even in a few cases, illegally doing it with cars they never got back, which required some fighting from the new owners to get the full unlimited Supercharger status re-applied. I was working with a friend of mine buying a used 2016 70D Model S, and was already starting to prepare her with information and evidence in case they did this, but she got it transferred to her newly created account, and it shows the unlimited Supercharging and unlimited Premium data connectivity just as it should. Very nice.

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC