TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Support TMC -- but to the tune of how many $$$?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pollux, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Pollux

Pollux Member

[moderators, please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate forum if need be]

Hi,

Recently, an industrious TMC member generated some funding for the guy who maintains supercharge.info. I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't previously thought about the expenses incurred in operating these websites. So I gladly ponied up a few bucks (ok, $50) for supercharge.info.

Which brings me to TMC. I use it all the time. All the danged time! Since maybe June, 2013. There's no price list anywhere. If it's making money off of ads, that's not glaringly obvious. Costs incurred aren't obvious either. The most guidance I have is the "Support TMC" button, which leads to a menu drop-down that offers $20, $50, $100 and Custom.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of costs are incurred by TMC? What kind of money comes in? Who contributes? Are the "owners" of TMC also shelling out from their own pockets? I very much appreciate that the moderators put in huge chunks of time, and I'd guess that they earn non-cash compensation such as: hassle, disagreement, annoyance, opprobrium and occasional kudos.

Thanks for any and all feedback, data and suggestions.

Alan

2. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Every once in a while, to keep the ads away, I pitch in .08% of what I've made, so far, on my TSLA :smile: (about $50)

also, I'm thinking anyone using the word "opprobrium," is going to be able to figure pretty much anything out all right :wink:

3. iadbound

iadbound Member

I've put I think $70 or $100 in over the past 6 months. This site is amazing, and I'm happy to support it. Obviously, I don't what the site costs are, but I'm sure it far from free.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I don't know, I'm looking for some favorable treatment other than elimination of ads before I give any more. Soon as the mods who've been slacking start kicking down some of their high reputation points for my posts I'm in again. :)

(All kidding aside, it's about time I drop some more for TMC... thanks for the reminder.)

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It's one of those weird Australian animals isn't it? Like a platypus or something.

6. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

+1 Just did the same!

7. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

Yes, I'm new to the forum, but wanted to kick in and help. It's a really nice and valuable service.

Thanks to whomever runs it

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#BritishHumourFail

9. GreenT

GreenT Member

I would donate IF TMC would make TMC Connect videos available to non-attendees.

10. Pollux

Pollux Member

Opprobrium to platypus in only 4 posts!

Irrational and quite touching faith expressed re my rational abilities in only one post (thanks, @MikeL!)!

I love it!!!

Sadly, no additional data about potential site costs, who owns it, what might be coming out of pocket, and so forth. Sigh.

I'm thinking about donating a platypus to TMC.

Alan

P.S. Anyone else think that one of the kids watching the beast is simultaneously picking his nose?

Platypus_in_Geelong.jpg

11. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Donate to TMC, that's funny!

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Why?

13. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Ads for one. Trust me, as popular as this forum is, they're making a good profit I'm sure. The independent supercharge guy not so much.

14. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Surly the majority of people are using AdBlock...

15. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I hear that Doug is making plans for a helipad on his second yacht...

:facepalm:

If he manages to make more money than he has in running cost, good for him. If he makes more than 20¢ per hour spent on TMC I'd be shocked...

16. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My first donation was only 100 'cuz I'm out of a job. More will come, as I LOVE THIS SITE!

17. ra-san

ra-san Member

The site is remarkably restrained as far as ads go. If support is needed, I'd be happy to donate while still keeping the ads visible, and have any benefits be ones that didn't cost the site anything much to hand out.

18. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

The ads disable when you donate, I think regardless of the amount. I have chipped in a few times myself. Everyone should!

I'm sure not much money is made from ads and even more sure that Doug is certainly not getting rich off this site. But the site has potential to be huge, together with Tesla. Then new servers, bandwith etc. has to be added.

19. Pollux

Pollux Member

Hi, @InternetDude,

Where are you seeing these ads? I haven't seen an ad on this website for I don't know how long.

Also, despite an enthusiastic membership, we're not talking Yahoo! home page here. We're talking fractions of a cent per page view per ad, and likely average or even below-average click-through rates. I'm hard put to imagine that this site breaks even w.r.t. basic operational expenses (e.g., site hosting), hence I wonder whether the difference is being made up out of some nice guy's pocket.

Alan

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Rather than contribute your money, the best thing you can do is contribute your knowledge. That way, the entire community can profit from your knowledge and not just a few people.