Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supported USB File Types

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not find USB file type compatibility anywhere, so I tested all audio and video file types to see which were compatible with my June, 2020 build Model S. Here are the results ...
To add to (or corroborate) the list, from experience with my brand new MYLR (just realized this is a Model S sub-forum, but I doubt the audio is all that different) ...

WAV YES
"Apple Lossless" (which has m4a extension) YES
AIFF NO

Having my music library on a MacMini under iTunes, the only available formats are AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless (dot-m4a), MP3, and WAV. AAC and Apple Lossless both produce dot-m4a files, but the AAC ones are far smaller so presumably not lossless. So it seems like WAV and Apple Lossless are my lossless choices. Any opinions on which I should use ?

While searching this, I read elsewhere that AIFF is supported, but it does not work for me.

Last edited:
"An M4A file is an audio file that may store various types of audio content, such as songs, podcasts, and audiobooks. It is saved in the MPEG-4 format and encoded with either the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) codec or the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC)." If you have the option, and lossless is an option, the ALAC Apple Lossless with a M4A extension seems the best choice given your options. I don't think my 2020 S supports mp4, but it is now an ancient car. :)

Reactions: RustyShacklefo
I copied a bunch of files to my USB stick (with separate partitions for TeslaDrive, because my recently-delivered MYLR only has data connectivity on the port in the glovebox :-( ) arranged with folders for each artist and folders below that for albums.

In the car, if I select "Folders", I see all the top-level folders (artists). But if I select "Artists" or "Albums" I only see a very few of them.

However, most of the files are WAV files. The ones that I CAN see under "Artists" and "Albums" are the few MP3 and M4A ones that were in there. Guess I should've converted to M4A (like @DerbyDave said above) but I got impatient before I saw that.

So, here's a word of warning maybe not to use WAV. And wondering if there's some way I can fix this (so the WAV ones show up under "Artists" and "Albums").

disappointing...
such a great entertainment system n u can't watch ur own movies during charging...
I have watched Dish Anywhere in my car from the browser parked. You can watch all of your Dish subscription channels live, and anything that is on your Dish DVR. Like all things Tesla, it stopped working at some point. I haven't tried recently. Hit and Miss Infotainment.

VLC can convert wav to mp3, and there are many other free utilities available that can do this as well. With VLC:
How to Convert WAV to MP3 VLC?

• Step 1. Run VLC. ...
  • Step 2. On the top menu bar, go to “ Media ” > “ Convert / Save …” to open the Media window.
  • Step 3. In the File section, click “+ Add …” to load all the WAV files you want to convert. ...
  • Step 4. From the profile drop-down list, select “ Audio – MP3 .” ...

VLC can convert wav to mp3, and there are many other free utilities available that can do this as well ...
My library lives in iTunes, and iTunes can do that too. But I want lossless. Why not ? The Tesla has such an amazing sound system, and the 128GB drive has plenty of room.

I guess I may have to convert all these WAV files to lossless M4A.

Oh, another oddity is that even though the WAV files don't show up under "Artists" and "Albums", they DO show up under "Songs".

WAV and mp3 are not lossless, so there would be not much lost converting from one lost format to another. The best option, or course, would be to recreate the music files in a lossless format. Converting the Wav files to MP4 would not gain anything,

I have watched Dish Anywhere in my car from the browser parked. You can watch all of your Dish subscription channels live, and anything that is on your Dish DVR. Like all things Tesla, it stopped working at some point. I haven't tried recently. Hit and Miss Infotainment.
well on MCU1 nothing browser based works, i can't even load youtube lol
pretty sure built in player would work just fine...

I copied a bunch of files to my USB stick (with separate partitions for TeslaDrive, because my recently-delivered MYLR only has data connectivity on the port in the glovebox :-( ) arranged with folders for each artist and folders below that for albums.

In the car, if I select "Folders", I see all the top-level folders (artists). But if I select "Artists" or "Albums" I only see a very few of them.

However, most of the files are WAV files. The ones that I CAN see under "Artists" and "Albums" are the few MP3 and M4A ones that were in there. Guess I should've converted to M4A (like @DerbyDave said above) but I got impatient before I saw that.

So, here's a word of warning maybe not to use WAV. And wondering if there's some way I can fix this (so the WAV ones show up under "Artists" and "Albums").

I suspect the WAV files do not have any tags in them for information about the content of the file (artist, title, album, genre, etc.), whereas MP3 (and M4A) often have this additional information. The Tesla media player scans all the files for tags, which is how some items end up in "Artists" and "Albums" (everything is shown under "Songs", including files without tags). Converting from one format to another won't necessarily/inherently add tags to the file.

WAV and mp3 are not lossless, so there would be not much lost converting from one lost format to another. The best option, or course, would be to recreate the music files in a lossless format. Converting the Wav files to MP4 would not gain anything,

While WAV files are technically not lossless or lossy (since WAV is just a container like MP4/M4A), the most common usage of the WAV file format is to store uncompressed audio. Thus, a WAV file will most likely be identical to whatever source produced the file. MP3 is an audio format that is inherently lossy, so it will inherently not be identical to the source that produced it. (Technically, you can make a WAV file with MP3 audio in it, it's just not commonly done.)

Reactions: DerbyDave
so I am mistaken. You can convert the wav to M4A and retain some quality.
Yeah, but probably the right thing to do is to go back to my original (mostly ripped from CDs) AIFF files and convert 'em to M4A (which is what you originally suggested).

In fact, if the issue is that WAV files don't have the tags (for album, artist, etc) then M4A converted from WAV probably won't either.

I need to live with just being able to select artists (by tapping "Folder"), or redo a fair amount of work.

Reactions: DerbyDave