TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supreme Court backs rules for coal pollution

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by RubberToe, Apr 29, 2014.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

A ray of sunlight among the billowing clouds of FUD.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

4. tigerade

tigerade Member

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Unfortunately carbon emissions works against coal efficiency, since coal gasification increases the efficiency of the power plant, but raises CO2 emissions. You can try carbon capture.

It's hardly surprising states are going to oppose it when your basically telling them to increase their negative balance of payments. I feel that cleaning, efficiency and renewables should be emphasized, and that squeezes carbon.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of coal, but I'd much rather add nuclear as the "stop gap" instead of loading up on natural gas a d crossing fingers on price.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Someone needs to invent a more cost effective way of turning thermal energy into electricity; I was reflecting on a somewhat profound fact yesterday... it's now more cost-effective to turn sunlight into electricity via the photoelectric effect than any known method for turning thermal energy into electricity. Even if your heat source was free Solar PV still wins in terms of $/kWh. Yes, you still need batteries to go much beyond 20% total generation... but I'm guessing that when we get there in ~10 years those will be cheaper too; come on GIGAFACTORY! :biggrin:

7. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

Efficiency with regard to what? The efficiency that matters for the environment is CO2/kWh. And if the $/kWh increases for coal, cleaner sources become more viable. As long as the regulations are created by someone with half a brain, this should be good. Now if only our legislature had half a brain between them, we'd be set.

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how this works. If I'm not mistaken, all the carbon in coal gasification still comes from the coal (there's no additional carbon added from other sources), so an increase in generation efficiency should still mean less CO2 emissions per kWh compared to standard coal plants.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Remember that a very large reason why coal is popular is that you can write very long-term contracts for coal, while natural gas is priced at spot or under short-term contracts (generally). One important facet, therefore, in this SCOTUS decision is that it suddenly makes coal seem risky, rather than safe.

11. tigerade

tigerade Member

12. Electric700

Electric700 Member

So true!