Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sure wish Az and Utah could get a couple more chargers to support trips to the National Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. I bought my X with the dream of cruising the golden circle of National parks, but charging is still too challenging to make it a epic vacation.

There are enough Superchargers for road trips, but if you want to explore when you are visiting the National parks, it is pretty iffy.

Gonna take the Mercedes, but the trip would be a far better experience in the X.

I had a trip to the Grand Canyon planned two years in a row (hotels and everything) that I have canceled because of the Supercharger situation. Even with my 85 I'd be cutting it too close (with kids in tow you can't be risky).

Could you expand on that a bit? Plugshare shows SC's along I-25 and I-40 between Denver and Flagstaff, and Flag to the south rim is only 80 miles. So, assuming the south rim is your destination, that's an easy round trip from Flag. Plus there's a Best Western with chargers at the south rim. I don't see the problem.

Reactions: dgpcolorado and KJD
I bought my X with the dream of cruising the golden circle of National parks, but charging is still too challenging to make it a epic vacation.

As for the western NP's, I don't see the problem here either. I've visited Zion and Arches several times and wouldn't hesitate to visit the south rim. Tesla's routinely visit Yosemite and Yellowstone (read @PLUS EV's story of crossing Yellowstone), so they're not a problem. I haven't tried Great Basin NP, nor have I read of anyone visiting there, but with a little time to charge at campgrounds it seems doable.

Would you elaborate on the problems you foresee?

Reactions: KJD
I'll say it again. I know, boring, impossible, blah blah. SLOW DOWN. If it looks "iffy", dropping down even two or three mph gives you enough range to make it.

Of course, an X won't do as well, nor a 75. But slowing down is the best way to increase your range. 75 reduced to 70 gives you 20 more miles of range. Same at 70 - 65.

Reactions: KJD
Sure would be nice if the I-10 corridor was finished - now 3 years late and counting.

Meanwhile, yes, it would be nice to significantly increase destination charging at the NPs as well as SC resources thereto.

Example: Yellowstone. To see that park optimally, a good start includes clockwise and counterclockwise loops north and south both at dawn and sunset. One crosses the Continental Divide at about 7,000-8,000' 4 times in the process.

The SC is in West Yellowstone. Can use it at the start of each day as well as midday in between loops. Will need more pedestals and, ideally, an SC at the north entrance.

Multiple NPs would do well to have an SC, certainly. The Grand Canyon is a no brainer, as is Acadia NP in Maine - the 2nd most-visited NP as it turns out.

And again, dramatically expanded destination charging for those who can afford to stay at the lodging concessions in-park.

But first, close the I-10 gap, ffs. They only need 2-3 SCs now (Tucson, Willcox, Deming). It would be the FIRST AND ONLY transcontinental route that doesn't require snow tires or chains at least part of the year (see I-70 in May or I-40 in November).

We did a road trip in March from SoCal to Zion then through Monument Valley via 2-lane roads from Page AZ to the Blanding UT Supercharger. Yes we used Range Mode and slowed down on part of the 200 mile leg between Page and Blanding... but didn't stress since we could have stopped at Goulding's Campground if the Tesla navigation had shown we'd run out of power before Blanding.

Just plan your trip using EVtripplanner.com, TeslaWinds in your Tesla browser while you drive, and keep an eye on your projected remaining battery at your next charge stop and you'll be fine.

Yosemite has chargers yes, but one or two inconsiderate users and you are in trouble. I went there with the model S and the entire time, a brand new Model X sat in the charger stall the entire 3 days. Fortunately there were one or two other chargers in the park that were available.

I wouldn't want to have to use a campground to charge 100%. Say getting to the north rim from Flagstaff. 57 KWh rated. Then make a trip to Zion without detouring to page. For me it is more peace of mind and convenience of not having to go to the RV park.

In my experience the Utah national parks and monuments are already pretty well covered. Another Supercharger Station in either Hanksville or Torrey would help with Capitol Reef, but it can be accessed from the Richfield Supercharger Station now. One in Hanksville would also open up SH 95 from Blanding to Hanksville; it is one of the more remote, scenic, and undeveloped highways in the lower 48. A Supercharger Station in Vernal would open up Dinosaur NM.

Overall, however, most of the parks in Utah are already well covered:

• Arches NP is couple of miles from the Moab Supercharger Station
• Canyonlands NP, Island in the Sky District, is easily accessed from both the Moab and Green River Supercharger Stations
• Canyonlands NP, Needles District, can be accessed from both the Moab and Blanding Supercharger Stations
• Dead Horse Point State Park is easily accessed from both the Moab and Green River Supercharger Stations (the campground also has 14-50 outlets)
• Natural Bridges National Monument is easily accessed from the Blanding Supercharger Station (Natural Bridges NM is the center of the new Bears Ears NM)
• Capitol Reef NP is easily accessed from the Richfield Supercharger Station and larger battery cars can do so from Green River
• Cedar Breaks National Monument
is easily accessed from the Beaver Supercharger Station
• Bryce NP is easily accessed from the Beaver Supercharger Station
• Zion NP is easily accessed from the St George Supercharger Station and can be reached from Beaver with destination charging (the campground has TT-30 outlets and Springdale UT has hotels with HPWC)

As an FYI, with the Page supercharger open, many of northern AZ parks are now easily accessible. Last week we went to the Grand Canyon North Rim using our P85. We stayed at Cliff Dwellers Lodge and used their destination charger. We made it round trip including going out to Cape Royal and made it back with plenty of charge. That said, a supercharger near Jacob Lake would be very useful.

Folks, national parks and monuments usually have volunteer nonprofit partner groups that help raise funds and provide countless volunteer hours to help the parks with unanticipated, unfunded project that aren't in the budget. Budgets are part of the federal budget cycle and get approved yearly. Working with the nonprofit park partners may help with reaching out to the right park staff to start planning for installations. There are planning/management issues for the parks, such as how to have visitors share the charger, overnight parking, campground parking locations (useful overnight charging locations) and day use/daytime locations for charging. I saw a Model X in Pinnacles NP at the campground last weekend - no public chargers in the park, but it's not a remote area. Drivers who want to stay and hike in large remote parks will need to charge to drive out of the park after a week or so.
Maybe a good approach is for EV owners to reach out to the nonprofit partner groups for their favorite park.
Would any members like to organize to reach out to a "pilot" group of parks and report back to the members on the various tips and ideas we hear about?
I will nominate a few parks to start the "First Ten" list:
Great Smoky Mountain
Everglades
Yellowstone
Yosemite

As I write this list it occurs to me that some parks (Joshua Tree) have easy access to nearby public charging infrastructure. Others (Yellowstone, Yosemite Valley) are places where visitors may want to stay for a week or more without leaving the park to find a public charger. Some parks won't need to install chargers in the park. Others will need to install chargers, and quickly, for EV drivers staying at campgrounds and parking at trailheads to access the backcountry.
I'll stop here pending input from other members.
Laura

...I will nominate a few parks to start the "First Ten" list:
Great Smoky Mountain
Everglades
Yellowstone
Yosemite

As I write this list it occurs to me that some parks (Joshua Tree) have easy access to nearby public charging infrastructure. Others (Yellowstone, Yosemite Valley) are places where visitors may want to stay for a week or more without leaving the park to find a public charger. Some parks won't need to install chargers in the park. Others will need to install chargers, and quickly, for EV drivers staying at campgrounds and parking at trailheads to access the backcountry.
I'll stop here pending input from other members.
Laura
Not that more well-located L2 charge stations inside the park wouldn't be nice, but Yellowstone is already pretty well served with Supercharger Stations, in Billings MT, West Yellowstone MT, and Jackson WY.

We've just completed a road trip with 3 cars... X75D with a stowaway box on the back, SP85 with a skybox21 on top, and an i3Rex with a couple of Jerry cans in the trunk. We stayed in airbnbs and tricky charged the i3 at night on L1 wasn't there Teslas exclusively on superchargers. We had lots of great as we were relocating across country and we're landing in an unfurnished house.

We started in the Bay area and visited:
Yosemite
Fresno
Death valley
Las Vegas
Grand canyon Skywalk
Flagstaff
Grand canyon visitors center
Horseshoe bend
Monument valley
Moab
Arches national Park
Eventually to the Denver region.

Everything worked fine even in on a 128 degree day in death valley... With only the following issues:
* The Tesla usage prediction failed to identify that the car was heavy. This should have been calculable due to expected energy use, actual energy use and elevation change. As a result the car thought we were fine going in to death valley (downhill) but we weren't. We climbed out of death valley at half the speed limit and made the supercharger with 4 miles range left. A supercharger in death valley would have been nice.
* Supercharger handles are really hot in full sun when the outdoor temperature is over 120 degrees.
* Detouring to superchargers around death valley cost an extra hour or two of driving.
* Detouring to superchargers going to the Grand canyon Skywalk also cost an extra hour of driving.
* Page to blanding was ok for us although we were a bit conservative in the beginning. Another supercharger there would be nice.

Other than the death valley detour and the Skywalk Detroit the Teslas were faster with supercharging than the i3 was with rexing. The i3 had to go pretty slowly so it could burn gas fast enough to maintain some charge.

Ultimately the road trip worked and was enjoyable due to the superchargers... But still an adventure.

Reactions: wreighven
We've just completed a road trip with 3 cars... X75D with a stowaway box on the back, SP85 with a skybox21 on top, and an i3Rex with a couple of Jerry cans in the trunk. We stayed in airbnbs and tricky charged the i3 at night on L1 wasn't there Teslas exclusively on superchargers. We had lots of great as we were relocating across country and we're landing in an unfurnished house.

We started in the Bay area and visited:
Yosemite
Fresno
Death valley
Las Vegas
Grand canyon Skywalk
Flagstaff
Grand canyon visitors center
Horseshoe bend
Monument valley
Moab
Arches national Park
Eventually to the Denver region.

Everything worked fine even in on a 128 degree day in death valley... With only the following issues:
* The Tesla usage prediction failed to identify that the car was heavy. This should have been calculable due to expected energy use, actual energy use and elevation change. As a result the car thought we were fine going in to death valley (downhill) but we weren't. We climbed out of death valley at half the speed limit and made the supercharger with 4 miles range left. A supercharger in death valley would have been nice.
* Supercharger handles are really hot in full sun when the outdoor temperature is over 120 degrees.
* Detouring to superchargers around death valley cost an extra hour or two of driving.
* Detouring to superchargers going to the Grand canyon Skywalk also cost an extra hour of driving.
* Page to blanding was ok for us although we were a bit conservative in the beginning. Another supercharger there would be nice.

Other than the death valley detour and the Skywalk Detroit the Teslas were faster with supercharging than the i3 was with rexing. The i3 had to go pretty slowly so it could burn gas fast enough to maintain some charge.

Ultimately the road trip worked and was enjoyable due to the superchargers... But still an adventure.
A supercharger is planned for kayenta, which will help the flagstaff to blanding trek when visiting monument valley and arches