Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surfboard and Roofrack questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the setup. My board looks identical to yours. 10ft Two Crows. I think the issue for me was that the tail seems to shake a lot in the wind going down the freeway.

Thanks! It's nice to be able to use the car to haul it, although many times, I end up just taking my wife's Rav4 EV since two boards fit right inside it and it's easier to toss gear in/out than a trunk. For surf spots further away, I still take the 3 (or if wife is working)

That's really interesting. What kind of rack do you have? I never have sen any kind of shake/flutter in the boards. My inno rack uses metal cables that ratchets down, I wonder if that makes a difference?

Thanks! It's nice to be able to use the car to haul it, although many times, I end up just taking my wife's Rav4 EV since two boards fit right inside it and it's easier to toss gear in/out than a trunk. For surf spots further away, I still take the 3 (or if wife is working)

That's really interesting. What kind of rack do you have? I never have sen any kind of shake/flutter in the boards. My inno rack uses metal cables that ratchets down, I wonder if that makes a difference?
I have soft pads on the rack and ties. Nothing fancy at all.

Which integrated rack pads+straps did you get for the roof rack?

Sorry for the super late reply. Didn't realize someone replied here. I have the inno racks for t-slot racks like OEM rack setup is:

Because I use a surfboard bag, I don't use any pads at all. I just always make sure, if taking multiple boards and not all have a bag, the bottom one is the one in the bag to prevent wax from getting all over the rails.

We are looking for model 3 roof rack options for our long boards Ugh - off topic but we were totally ripped off by 2 crows. Literally took a $300 deposit and never gave us a board or our money back.

For the bars, I would stick with Tesla one, and either get it installed at the SC or if you have a torque wrench, do it yourself but be careful. I've installed my own on 3 Model 3's now no problem but there are plenty of people who over-torqued it and cracked their glass roofs.

For the surf rack itself, I really like my Inno racks because you can rachet it to tighten it, has locks to prevent theft, and the straps are stainless steel cables.

We are looking for model 3 roof rack options for our long boards
Your base rack options are the Tesla one (made by Yakima or an associated company) and the Yakima aftermarket one. The Tesla one costs less and probably has a bit less drag and noise, but the Yakima aftermarket one has a few inches more spread, the crossbars are level with each other* and stick out beyond the towers, and the towers do not touch the glass (clamp onto the drip rails).

*The Tesla rack front crossbar is noticeably lower than the rear crossbar.

The Tesla rack works fine for my surfboards, and I don't think there's any difference in stress on the boards compared with any racks I've had on other cars. Good distance between the two crossbars.

Nick With Surfboard Bicycle Kayak on Roof Rack.jpg

Screenshot_20220421-122405_Photos_2.jpg

That's my 9'8" Harbour on the car and I also have a 9' epoxy board.

I don't remove the racks for long trips—not worth the danger of damaging the top glass.