Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprise R and D project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it needs to be something directly related to Tesla Motors revenue, etc. Wall Street will not be pleased if that kind of shareholder money is being spent on some side project, even one as cool as HyperLoop. Everything should be feeding into making MX and M3 successful or its going to be viewed as a distraction.

I'm thinking his engineers have come up with a way to harness the mental energy created by this forum's members when he throws out zingers like this one.

Hah! That is my favorite idea so far: They really need something to work on so, he says "we got secrets" then logs onto TMC.com to find out what his secrets should be, then goes and does that.

Or, maybe you are suggesting a direct TMC geek -> propulsion conversion tech. Also excellent.

On a different note, I hope they do allow vehicle-to-house transfer. I would install solar so fast. Also, I would suddenly become enthusiastic about charging at work :)

I think it needs to be something directly related to Tesla Motors revenue, etc. Wall Street will not be pleased if that kind of shareholder money is being spent on some side project, even one as cool as HyperLoop. Everything should be feeding into making MX and M3 successful or its going to be viewed as a distraction.

They couldn't afford to do the hyperloop. It's obviously the submersible car project.

It's possible Tesla has discovered the Model S pack it good for a great many more cycles than originally estimated.
one possibility, would be an early proof of concept of grid storage and home backup power would be tesla designed V2G system, for the Model S/X. Initially, I think they would market it as home backup power, but could be expanded to be solar storage as well.
this is power engineering, and completly in Teslas "wheelhouse"

That would be awesome! But how would one connect the car to a residential breaker panel to provide power while protecting the car from grid power surges when the power comes back on? And to use the car to store output from a residential PV system the car would have to be home during the day, yet typically that is not the case.

I think it is the semi-autonomous driving project. We here know about that as it has been eluded to a few times but there is no way that the public and analysts on Wall St are aware of that as a potential major selling point of future Tesla cars (I rarely if ever see it mentioned in any analysis of the company). So it would fit the criterion of something "something you don't know of yet".

I think it is the semi-autonomous driving project. We here know about that as it has been eluded to a few times but there is no way that the public and analysts on Wall St are aware of that as a potential major selling point of future Tesla cars (I rarely if ever see it mentioned in any analysis of the company). So it would fit the criterion of something "something you don't know of yet".

+ 1

It's possible Tesla has discovered the Model S pack it good for a great many more cycles than originally estimated.
one possibility, would be an early proof of concept of grid storage and home backup power would be tesla designed V2G system, for the Model S/X. Initially, I think they would market it as home backup power, but could be expanded to be solar storage as well.
this is power engineering, and completly in Teslas "wheelhouse"

btw, the relays to access the 400VDC pack already exist in every Model S, so the car already has the capability on the existing charging connector for this possibility.

I've been thinking home backup power, and experimenting with vehicle to grid since the call. Good point re the pack likely having many more cycles than Tesla has suggested or estimated. One of the members here who seems to have a strong battery background has suggested something like 300K+ mile packs retaining ~90% capacity.

Past couple of days I've been trying to remember whether Elon has deflected suggestions of V2G because he doesn't see it as a good option or because it's an interesting idea but they simply cannot do everything, as he's tried to point out at a few times while fielding questions at QAs with the public. Quite sure this came up in Europe this past January/Feb, I think it was in Norway.

This would add value to owning an EV and putting up solar panels… obviously two things Elon wants to see accelerated.

No worries if there's no simple answer, but does it seem plausible that using the battery pack in the car as backup for power loss at one's home could be separated from vehicle to grid? That is, initially focusing on the benefit of having that battery pack in your garage during a power outage, without having to sort things out with the utilities for vehicle to grid?

- - - Updated - - -

How about lithium air supplemental battery packs as range extenders?

265 EPA rechargeable range plus 500-1000 mile recyclable battery pack for when recharging is impossible or very inconvenient.

fwiw, that's another one I'd be excited to see. In the first half of 2013 Elon had tweeted (I think in a reply tweet) some new battery tech may be ready for the Gen III. I don't remember the exact words, but my impression at the time was his wording implied something other than simply incremental lithium ion battery improvement.

I do think semi-autonomous driving was likely part of what Elon was referring to this week, but as one of the cards, not the whole set. I read his tone and wording to suggest some of the cards we don't really have any idea they are going after. As he's already said we'll see something pretty impressive on the auto pilot front in 2015, I suspect it would not be the only card he had in mind when he spoke on Thursday.

here's the tweet I was referring to… interesting, could be a reference to metal air, though not necessarily related to the battery:

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 23 Mar 2013

.@benmacy $30k in 2013 $ (ie + inflation) w 200+ mile range w some really cool tech that we can't talk about yet.

[COLOR=#0084B4 !important]View conversation

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
At TMC Connect, Diarmuid made a statement that I interpreted to mean that the Model S already has the hardware capability for V2G (that is, moving power OUT of the battery). If that's so, V2G just a software update away -- at the car's level, anyway. There will need to be break-then-make protection circuits in your house to enable safe operation.

I believe V2G is a bit premature yet. Emergency back-up would be cool though, as well as V2V (one Tesla Supercharges the other). Also I don't think these things would be qualified as "some really cool tech" by Elon.

Autonomous driving has the lowest odds in my book. But I'd love to be blown away by something amazing.

That would be awesome! But how would one connect the car to a residential breaker panel to provide power while protecting the car from grid power surges when the power comes back on? And to use the car to store output from a residential PV system the car would have to be home during the day, yet typically that is not the case.
Two years ago I had sent tesla an e mail suggesting the car being a battery back up for the house. At the time I was installing a lead battery backup for my house (we loose power if there is a cloud in the sky where we live). Actually got back a reply from Blankenship saying they had no intension of ever doing that. Figured they had already thought about that but perhaps the liability was too high if not installed properly

Two years ago I had sent tesla an e mail suggesting the car being a battery back up for the house. At the time I was installing a lead battery backup for my house (we loose power if there is a cloud in the sky where we live). Actually got back a reply from Blankenship saying they had no intension of ever doing that. Figured they had already thought about that but perhaps the liability was too high if not installed properly
You not only have liability issues, but it raises potential problems with the battery warranty. Also, people seem to forget that cycling the battery reduces its capacity, and I'm guessing that Tesla doesn't want to see press coverage of people with 30% degradation after 40,000 miles -- only to find that the owner had been cycling the pack daily to run his off-grid house.

My back-of-the-envelope calculation puts the cost of energy drawn from the drive battery at about $0.25/kWh (assuming 1,000 cycles of useful life, $20,000 pack replacement cost), plus the cost of the energy used to charge the battery. That's expensive, but not crazy-expensive. (The battery can do a lot more than 1,000 cycles, of course, but the degradation will have been steep enough by then that most people would find it providing unacceptable range.)

To do backup power and/or V2G, that technology is well understood, and is used on every emergency generator. A simple contactor that is installed where the main power to the house, and the breaker panel meet. The system could be designed to function in backup mode, meaning it only comes online in the event of main utility power failure,
So the contactor isolates the inverter from the utility in that case. For use as V2G, it can only supply power if the utility is working since you can't risk electrocuting a lineman working on the utility wires during an outage.

I think they could do this design in 2 hardware pieces, the contactor that is installed at the service entrance, and an inverter that basically replaces your HPWC with a piece of hardware that is the car interface, and the inverter. It would of course have to be on a large breaker (100A), to be most effective. The contactor and HPWC/inverter could communicate with each other over AC power wiring, or wifi/Bluetooth, or many other technologies. In many cases it wouldn't be possible to have the contactor and car interface/inverter all located together, so some type of communication link would be needed.

Sounds cool but I think there are too many practical obstacles: getting local permits from your county or city, and getting your utility to approve it. Utilities will hate this idea. Already in California the utilities have made it almost impossible for SolarCity to install Tesla 10kW backup battery systems connected to PV.

Sorry, I don't think what you describe is going to happen.

Sounds cool but I think there are too many practical obstacles: getting local permits from your county or city, and getting your utility to approve it. Utilities will hate this idea. Already in California the utilities have made it almost impossible for SolarCity to install Tesla 10kW backup battery systems connected to PV.

Sorry, I don't think what you describe is going to happen.

For backup power only, no one can stop them. You can buy a generator and automatic transfer switch from hundreds of manufacturers, this is just a generator that uses an 85KW battery pack and inverter, nothing different than any number of generators availble commercially, other than it runs on stored battery power rather than fossil fuel, and is much quieter.

For V2G, that's utility interactive, and a different story, however, the utilities are actually in favor of alternative power sources on the grid to smooth out peak demand, so I think you'll see a lot more cooperation in the future.

I always thought super chargers along highways really consistent with trucking becoming electric. However I do remember musk saying about 18 months ago that the active air suspension would work well in a pickup truck. He mentioned that he would like to develop one. I suspect this will be in the works

Chicken, but what surprise are you referring to? Also you are probably right in a way about the pickup truck, it will probably be the next high volume platform for Tesla after the 30-35k car, considering that Ford alone sells about 80k pickup trucks a month, although it might not happen for a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe V2G is a bit premature yet. Emergency back-up would be cool though, as well as V2V (one Tesla Supercharges the other). Also I don't think these things would be qualified as "some really cool tech" by Elon.

Autonomous driving has the lowest odds in my book. But I'd love to be blown away by something amazing.

Johan, a month or two ago I recall hearing Musk saying that they will have hands free driving from highway on ramp to off ramp in less than a year, so the odds for at least partial auto-driving seem pretty good, and that timing coincides pretty well with the Model X ramp. Even if the software wasn't quite ready it wouldn't be surprising to see them equip new cars with the hardware and then add the software.