Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised at dual motors cost for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not entirely correct either. The non-performance D models has exact same motors in both front and rear. The Performance D model has smaller motor in front, but bigger motor in the rear.

Tesla only makes two motors. All the D versions have a small motor in front. The RWD versions have a large motor in the back. The P85D/P90D has/had the large motor in the back and the large in front. This goes back to the introduction of the Model S where all the cars had the large motor.

How much more efficient do the dual motors make the vehicle on the highway?

You can look in fueleconomy.gov

Compare Side-by-Side

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
...by the way, the front wheels are the most efficent for regenerate since you are breaking and the car shift it's weight on the front wheels so more grip -> more regenerative capability.
This appears to be a somewhat common misperception. It is misleading since the regen deceleration is so low compared to the traction capability of even the rear tires.

Please read this thread for more details:
Dual motor efficiency

Bottom line: Regen efficiency should not be a discriminator when choosing between RWD and AWD.

As otherrs have said it's always been 5k. and it will be less for model 3. I am hoping 1~1.5k USD lower but these numbers are pulled out of nowhere.
As a side, I just noticed t hat D on 60 increases 13kms of range while it adds 16kms of range on 75D.. so the bigger battery you get, the more efficient the D will be in terms of range.

This appears to be a somewhat common misperception. It is misleading since the regen deceleration is so low compared to the traction capability of even the rear tires.

Please read this thread for more details:
Dual motor efficiency

Bottom line: Regen efficiency should not be a discriminator when choosing between RWD and AWD.
Thanks you. it was definitely worth the reading. I haden't had a really deep tought about that.. and they are really right.
I begin to think that an AWD isn't a must for me. It's just for the snow condition.. but then, with the winter tire and a non-reckless drive i should be ok since it snow at max 1 month in a year

Reactions: Zoomit
The efficency is in the regenerative braking when you can use 4 wheels to brake and not only 2, and.. by the way, the front wheels are the most efficent for regenerate since you are breaking and the car shift it's weight on the front wheels so more grip -> more regenerative capability
There is also the grip factor, where you are more able to drive in snow or in curves with water on the road

It's not much on the performance since the battery can't keep up with 2 motor at the same time at maximum power.. so the very little gain

Of course 2 motors make a more efficent acceleration and normal driving, but it's really limited ( as seen in the 8miles or similar you gain ), just remember that 2 motor means more weight, more weight, less performance. ( and this almost kill all the gain you got )

I would say that in highway they are have roguhtly the same efficence due to major weight

This.. as i've intended until now, someone can confirm?

My understanding is that most of the efficiency improvement is from gearing differences between the motors. On a dual motor car, both drivetrains are single speed transmissions - but with different gearing. Since each drive unit has variable efficiency through its usable RPM range, the car leverages the different gearing to shifts power between the front and rear drivetrains - to whichever drivetrain happens to be in the more efficient operating mode.

By optimizing one motor for efficiency at lower vehicle speed and the other for efficiency at higher vehicle speed, a dual motor car can be more efficient than a single motor car at all speeds.

When the pedal goes to the floor, efficiency is ignored and full power goes to both motors.

This was explained during the dual motor reveal - specifically, Elon's keynote.

Reactions: MountainRatMat