Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised by public FSD making turn onto city street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been making some long, across town trips here in Las Vegas without having to take over recently. Very impressed!

However, I did not expect FSD to make the turn onto the city street when exiting the highway. I have done the test with a lead car during daytime and without a lead car at night. Both results were the same. A perfect turn into the middle lane from the outside.

My best guess is that this is allowed because of the curved turn and the designated traffic light.

Anyone else seeing this behavior with the public build of FSD?

Reactions: DanCar
I was surprised that me EAP recently stopped at a stop sign w/STOP painted on the road when coming off a highway WITHOUT a lead card. This was new and unexpected and NOT in the release notes. The odd thing is that it seems to do this at one specific intersection and not others. As you said, must be something about the road design?

Reactions: timdoes
I've been making some long, across town trips here in Las Vegas without having to take over recently. Very impressed!

However, I did not expect FSD to make the turn onto the city street when exiting the highway. I have done the test with a lead car during daytime and without a lead car at night. Both results were the same. A perfect turn into the middle lane from the outside.

My best guess is that this is allowed because of the curved turn and the designated traffic light.

Anyone else seeing this behavior with the public build of FSD?

Yes, I've seen that before. It is not surprising. This is a special case where the exit lane merges into the main road. AP is simply following the lane lines, not actually making a turn on its own. The lane lines just happen to guide the car. FSD beta is different because the car is trained to actually make turns on its own.

I was surprised that me EAP recently stopped at a stop sign w/STOP painted on the road when coming off a highway WITHOUT a lead card. This was new and unexpected and NOT in the release notes. The odd thing is that it seems to do this at one specific intersection and not others. As you said, must be something about the road design?
If you were on nav on autopilot at the time, it’s programmed to stop at the end of what the maps define as an off ramp or some distance after the exit, unless you intervene in some way. Mine attempts to slow down and stop in the middle of a regular road where an off ramp flows directly onto a street

Reactions: Hank42 and timdoes
If you were on nav on autopilot at the time, it’s programmed to stop at the end of what the maps define as an off ramp or some distance after the exit, unless you intervene in some way. Mine attempts to slow down and stop in the middle of a regular road where an off ramp flows directly onto a street
Mine has never stopped in the middle of a road. It stops at the stop sign, traffic light, or rear of the lead car every time. This was the first time I experienced it continuing through the light into the middle lane of the cross street.

I did not expect it to take the exit and complete the transition to MLK Blvd the same way the navigation did. Looks as though navigation had nothing to do with it though.

My initial thought that maybe it did was because it usually puts me in the correct exit lane for the navigation turn when using an off ramp.

AP can also drive on highways when there's no lines (I've gone through this 3-4 times with AP):

20210515_201612.gif