Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised myself. I think the 85D is actually the best value (over 70D and P85D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't driven the D models but have test driven the P85 and S85 on a couple of different occasions. I almost purchased a P85 but couldn't justify either really. We ended up leasing an i3 for 2 years and will try and wait for the Model 3. I know the acceleration is fun and that is why I wanted the P85. I've been paying more attention to the usefulness of fast acceleration since getting the i3. I'm pretty sure the 70D will blow away the i3 and I easily accelerate away from everyone at stop lights in the i3 at less than full power. I know that some high performance cars would take me but i'm not a 17 year old kid so I don't care anyways. When on the highway i'm constantly getting speed warnings in the i3 also, It hits 70+ with ease.

Our other car is a BMW 335D that I think is rated in the low 5 second area for 0-60. It has great torque (~430) so it's quick off the line, I think comparable to the S85. However, I rarely if ever use that either. Maybe the best deal is to wait for some P85D's to hit the CPO list, but outside of that it would be a 70d or 85D or wait for Model 3 which I could see getting all the options and a sub 3 second 0-60 for less than a 70D. I prefer smaller cars anyways, we are only a family of 3.

I'm in California so superchargers are plentiful, if I were having to make the decision today based on range I would take a closer look at the map and see if the 85D range is ever really needed, most likely it isn't.

Two additional thoughts...

I would take a 70D over any other car currently on the market with one exception: my 85D. There isn't any vehicle other than another Model S that I would cross-shop. The test drive ruined other cars for me.

21" wheels + Cincinnati road maintenance = no P85D for me. I've fought that battle before and not willing to live with the pain.

My P85D has the 19" wheels and it was $4500 less expensive to boot.

No longer available and not available when I ordered...that's what I tell myself instead of I'm too cheap to buy the P.

Totally not true:

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

The 19" options is right there. You must have ordered in the 4 day window when that option was missing. It was back several days later.

If they had removed it for good, they would have had to update the EPA rating from 254 to 240 to account for the reduced efficiency of the larger wheels.

Totally not true:

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

The 19" options is right there. You must have ordered in the 4 day window when that option was missing. It was back several days later.

If they had removed it for good, they would have had to update the EPA rating from 254 to 240 to account for the reduced efficiency of the larger wheels.
Didn't know it was back. That is good news.
Regardless, I have yet to find a situation where the 85D isn't fast enough.