Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprises for a New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I took possession of my new Model 3 at about 12 hours ago. I chose not to get much orientation, because I find it fun to figure things out. I had watched videos and such, and did a test drive, but still, as a new owner, here were 5 things that surprised me:

(1) Acceleration. Sure. You hear about it. You read the numbers. You see the videos. You know it in your head. Years ago, I had an RX-7 that was a real quick little car. But its power wasn't instant, the RX-7 spooled itself up into its full power. But with the Model 3, just tap the accelerator, and it's there. All at once. Nothing like the RX-7. Some things have to be experienced. They can't be adequately described. This was one of them.

(2) That I had to activate the Tesla phone app as a key. I had unquestioningly assumed that once I logged the app into my account, that would be enough for it to act as a key to my car. Not so, of course. I had to resort to Google to figure out why my phone-key wasn't working, and that activating it as a key was a separate step from logging into the account.

(3) How disorienting it was to switch nav software. I've been using Apple Maps to get around for a number of years. As a result, I became highly tuned to Siri's voice giving me instructions, and its timing pattern as to when it would notify that a turn was coming up. The Model 3's nav is by no means worse, just ... different. My first drive I missed turn after turn as my unconscious habits played me false.

(4) The ease of learning to use the center touchscreen. For all the public angst over it, I found it extremely easy to adapt to. It wasn't much different than learning a new phone app: took a little study, but no big deal. And shoot, if you're like me and have been navigating by a phone sliding around the passenger seat, or dropping between the seat and center console, having a large, fixed map display to work with means MORE attention for the road, not less.

(5) That the audio volume keeps dropping to some low level every time I restart the car, and I have to manually re-dial it up to where I like it. I think there is a setting here that should make it resume the volume from when the car was turned off, but I haven't found it yet.

2 - Yep, two different steps. This is covered in the owner’s manual. While I didn’t read every word in the manual, I did at least skim every page before delivery and had a few questions for clarification at the time of delivery.

5 - I haven’t noticed this behavior before. Since the radio stays on until you close the door when you’re not in the car, Tesla turns the music volume down while any door is open. As soon as all doors are closed, the music volume resumes to where it was previously set. Are you by chance needing to turn the volume back up before you get all of the doors closed?

5) Audio volume...

Are you referring to the the NAV audio? The phone bluetooth audio? The radio/entertainment audio? I think they are each set separately, and (I'll test this in about 4 hours) I *think* you may be able to save some of the volume settings to your driver profile.

(3) How disorienting it was to switch nav software. I've been using Apple Maps to get around for a number of years. As a result, I became highly tuned to Siri's voice giving me instructions, and its timing pattern as to when it would notify that a turn was coming up. The Model 3's nav is by no means worse, just ... different. My first drive I missed turn after turn as my unconscious habits played me false.

Press in right steering wheel roller, say "Navigate to" and your location. You should be hearing voice prompts just as Siri. This is by far, one of the best car nav programs out there.

Press in right steering wheel roller, say "Navigate to" and your location. You should be hearing voice prompts just as Siri. This is by far, one of the best car nav programs out there.

I second this.

I have said, "Take me to..." and either used an actual name of a a place or just spit out the entire address, Street, city, state.

So far it has worked out very well. You'll be impressed with the traffic as well since it had routed me in different paths of a same trip due to traffic. Supposedly on V9, you can switch on HOV status and it will take you to HOV access routes or vice versa.

5) Audio volume...

Are you referring to the the NAV audio? The phone bluetooth audio? The radio/entertainment audio? I think they are each set separately, and (I'll test this in about 4 hours) I *think* you may be able to save some of the volume settings to your driver profile.
I only really use one music source: bluetooth to play music from my iPhone music library. I’m still looking into it to see if I can figure out what’s going on. Otherwise, love the way the car audio sounds.

And shoot, if you're like me and have been navigating by a phone sliding around the passenger seat, or dropping between the seat and center console, having a large, fixed map display to work with means MORE attention for the road, not less.
You can still continue to use Apple Maps and your phone for navigation. I've heard of some Model 3 drivers having a phone right in front of them for navigation since the 3 has no gauge cluster.

If you don't want anything permanently mounted or a suction cup, you could buy something like one of these friction mounts (Fry's Electronics |) and then attach a suction cup phone mount to that. I have that exact unit and have brought that along in my other car w/a phone mount attached when I want my phone up high for easy access for music, Waze, etc. It doesn't slide around.

5 - I haven’t noticed this behavior before. Since the radio stays on until you close the door when you’re not in the car, Tesla turns the music volume down while any door is open. As soon as all doors are closed, the music volume resumes to where it was previously set. Are you by chance needing to turn the volume back up before you get all of the doors closed?
Volume resume is just really glitchy. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but I get the same thing OP does a lot of the time. I'm probably 50/50 or 60/40 on it being quiet when re-entering vs. going back to the correct volume when the doors are closed. I think it might have something to do with the order that you sit down/press the brake pedal/close the door, but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't spent time to try and isolate/reproduce the issue.

I only really use one music source: bluetooth to play music from my iPhone music library. I’m still looking into it to see if I can figure out what’s going on. Otherwise, love the way the car audio sounds.

Is it because your phone volume for BT is set really high? The actual source volume on the car is low. So you compensated by forcing the volume up on the phone. So each time you leave it reverts back to the cars lower volume?

Is it because your phone volume for BT is set really high? The actual source volume on the car is low. So you compensated by forcing the volume up on the phone. So each time you leave it reverts back to the cars lower volume?
I have the volume on both the phone and the car set high. Other people (see above) are reporting inconsistent resumption of their preferred volume. Maybe one of us will figure out a pattern. Or maybe there is no pattern and its just a random bug.

Last edited:
So my volume resumed correctly for me this morning, and I made sure to pay attention to what I did. I sat down, closed the door, and then pressed the brake. Normally I hit the brake before closing the door, and I think that might be a cause of the issue. I'll try it again at lunch and at the end of the day and see if it's repeatable, or just a coincidence.

• Informative
Reactions: rachelhikes
Another surprise is that the car can roll backwards when in Drive if the "hold" function is not active. Be careful to ensure that "hold" is active when stopped, especially on a hill. Just push down a little more on the brake to engage.

edit: one other tip: turn off the automatic windshield wipers when going through a car wash. :)

So I've paid attention to the volume thing more over the last couple days, and I seem to have figured how to make it work, at least. You have to open the door, wait for the music to resume playing (if you're in a place with a bad connection or something), then close the door without pressing the brake. That seems to work almost every time for volume resume.

• Informative
Reactions: cgalpin