Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprising characteristic or newbie ignorance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I’ve only had my X for 6 days. Stoplight on a hill. HONK, HONK. The car behind me had noticed that I was rolling backwards into her vehicle. I stopped in time but was shaken. I haven’t had a car without backward roll prevention in 20 years!!

2. Eighty mile drive home from the dealer when picking up my X. Stop and go California rush hour traffic. I stop behind the car in front of me and relax--foot off accelerator. All of a sudden I need to brake again-- the X on its own desires to creep forward!! Unnerving. I learned there is a option to turn off creep. Who wants a car to move without driver command? Creep, brake; creep, brake. Who wants to drive that way?

I had an i3. A hoot to drive. True one-pedal driving. When you backed off on accelerator it braked to the point of a full stop and would not roll forward or back unless you pressed on the accelerator or put the car in reverse. Rarely had to touch the brake in traffic. Seemed much safer. Anyway are these driving characteristics curable--especially the roll-back on hills?

Make sure Hill Hold activates:

1) stop the car on an upslope (front facing uphill)
2) press harder on the brake pedal until Hill Hold is active (i.e. when the "H" icon shows up on your dashboard)
3) take foot off of the brake pedal. the car stays still indefinitely, as Hill Hold is active
4) when you're ready to move forward, just press directly on the GO pedal without touching the brake pedal. Hill Hold will disable itself and the car will go forward

You may also wish to experiment with the Creep on/off setting.

Creep is for people that want it to be like their old ICE car (yech). One pedal driving is great but you need to set it for that. Same for regen, etc.

And hill hold, yes, needs to be applied firmly.

I’ve actually had my car only a few days and I’ve sat and gone through every option in the menus twice, once after a couple of days, to be sure I want it set the way it is and it’s set the way I want. :D

Reactions: jbcarioca
2. Eighty mile drive home from the dealer when picking up my X. Stop and go California rush hour traffic. I stop behind the car in front of me and relax--foot off accelerator. All of a sudden I need to brake again-- the X on its own desires to creep forward!! Unnerving. I learned there is a option to turn off creep. Who wants a car to move without driver command? Creep, brake; creep, brake. Who wants to drive that way?

Every conventional auto-gearbox I've ever driven behaves exactly like that. You put them in drive and they creep forward unless you hold them on the brakes. With a Tesla at least you have the option to switch creep on or off as you please, but as someone else above mentioned it's pretty much an ICE automatic simulator!

As for "hill hold" it does seem like the Tesla implementation is a bit crude. Most cars sense the angle of incline and apply the brakes automatically to prevent rolling back, but with a Tesla I believe you need to manually activate hill hold by pressing the brake pedal fairly hard. So something new to get used to there. Haven't tried it myself yet.

If you like 1 pedal driving, make sure you have the car set to maximum regen braking and then it should be more like your i3 under braking.

Take the time to read the owners manual and then "experience" all the different features!
One feature I left "on" is creep, because all my other cars WILL move if the engine is running and the foot is off the brake. Almost a universal behavior which I do not wish to forget.

My observation, after 30 days of ownership; While I can transition back to driving a ICE vehicle, the more miles I accumulate in the Tesla, the less I enjoy going back to driving an ICE vehicle.

And hill hold, yes, needs to be applied firmly.

I’ve actually had my car only a few days and I’ve sat and gone through every option in the menus twice, once after a couple of days, to be sure I want it set the way it is and it’s set the way I want. :D
Having driven quite a few different S and X the hill hold always works but the pressure required to engage it varies by car. I don't know why. It does always work. A very firm brake application seems to work always. Just look for the little round encircled H.

Having driven quite a few different S and X the hill hold always works but the pressure required to engage it varies by car. I don't know why. It does always work. A very firm brake application seems to work always. Just look for the little round encircled H.
Interesting this topic comes up, because on the loaner I have (perhaps it's been beaten up more...), I just applied the brakes normally, and noticed the (H) being on.

I'll have to see what force is needed on my own car once I get it back (in the SC right now).

I have creep on for parking. Do I want to reverse into my garage and park under one foot away from the rear wall, while alternating between the go pedal (with 350 kW of acceleration power) and the brake? No. I'd much rather have the car slowly creep backwards and have my foot squarely on the brake.

I have creep on for parking. Do I want to reverse into my garage and park under one foot away from the rear wall, while alternating between the go pedal (with 350 kW of acceleration power) and the brake? No. I'd much rather have the car slowly creep backwards and have my foot squarely on the brake.

+1. I'm surprised this was even brought up seeing as pretty much all automatic cars creep like this in "Drive". Makes it both easy and safe to manoeuvre on the brake.

Might it be that once drivers become accustomed to driving without creep they will prefer to turn it off? Personally most of my ICE vehicles had manual transmissions anyway so I never had much creep. It seems more efficient and easier to have it off fir me.

Creep was enabled in 2014, IIRC, because quite a few automatic drivers wanted it. It’s good there is a choice.

Might it be that once drivers become accustomed to driving without creep they will prefer to turn it off? Personally most of my ICE vehicles had manual transmissions anyway so I never had much creep. It seems more efficient and easier to have it off fir me.

This is me, too. I don't want my car doing anything I don't tell it to do, like creep.

Concerning parking in a garage with creep, I park in a very tight garage everyday (backing in), and there is precise "throttle" control with the accelerator pedal at very low speeds. Sometime a year or two ago, Tesla even made it more precise with a firmware update, making low speed maneuvers even easier with just the accelerator pedal.

For those folks who like to have creep "on", I'd suggest trying it "off" for a few days and see how it does for you.

Just watch out if you ever get a classic non-AP car for a loaner. Mine doesn’t have the same kind of Hill hold. I can’t take my foot off the brake for but a few seconds before it will roll back. There is no (h) symbol at all.

That is why I leave creep on, honestly, since it keeps me from rolling backwards. I am surprised the OP rolled backwards with creep on, I didn’t think it would do that.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Actually by the time I had the roll back, creep was off. With my i3 you had true one-pedal driving. Once you got used to it there is no going back. Come to a complete stop without using brake. With the X, when you come to a stop on a hill you have to take your foot off the accelerator and mash the brake. Repeat that every time you stop. Likewise with creep on you have to take your foot off accelerator and hit brake before you hit car in front. Nothing easier that i3 in traffic. But there are so MANY advantages to the X, these issues are insignificant. BUT Tesla could add one-pedal driving if it wanted to. It would seem easy add this feature. Simple--no creep + Automatic hold when stopped.

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
This is me, too. I don't want my car doing anything I don't tell it to do, like creep.

Concerning parking in a garage with creep, I park in a very tight garage everyday (backing in), and there is precise "throttle" control with the accelerator pedal at very low speeds. Sometime a year or two ago, Tesla even made it more precise with a firmware update, making low speed maneuvers even easier with just the accelerator pedal.

For those folks who like to have creep "on", I'd suggest trying it "off" for a few days and see how it does for you.
That’s fine for your personal use, H.
But I sincerely advise you to turn creep ‘on’ when letting someone else drive your car.
You don’t want to get into an argument with that driver about which pedal was mistakenly pressed when the car was crashing trough walls, fences, storefronts and the like.

Every conventional auto-gearbox I've ever driven behaves exactly like that. You put them in drive and they creep forward unless you hold them on the brakes. With a Tesla at least you have the option to switch creep on or off as you please, but as someone else above mentioned it's pretty much an ICE automatic simulator!

As for "hill hold" it does seem like the Tesla implementation is a bit crude. Most cars sense the angle of incline and apply the brakes automatically to prevent rolling back, but with a Tesla I believe you need to manually activate hill hold by pressing the brake pedal fairly hard. So something new to get used to there. Haven't tried it myself yet.

If you like 1 pedal driving, make sure you have the car set to maximum regen braking and then it should be more like your i3 under braking.
The "H" hold setting becomes almost second nature after a while and doesn’t require very much additional pressure beyond the light braking additional final braking beyond the regen. I too have an i3 and that car has regen all the way to a stop which is nice, although it may also use friction brakes automatically when at the final few feet of deceleration. The i3Rex is probably the most advanced electric car on the market from everything I have read, though I do prefer our Tesla cars by a wide margin. Older automatic transmission ICE cars loaded engine torque against the converter and that held the car but if the hill was steep enough the car would still back up through the torque converter. Creep setting on the Tesla is a bandaid that was originally applied to the S to prevent customers from feeling uneasy transitioning to an electric car, the same way some CVT transmissions have simulated shift points to make customers feel more at home with the CVT.

The Tesla throttle control is probably the best out there but the i3 is also right there, although it may be just the abundance of low speed torque. When backing over the tiny hump into our garage our new MB E class will spin the tires in reverse unless great care is exercised. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla didn’t use the same vendor as Mercedes for the hill hold system as it works the same.