Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprisingly advanced Alpine unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you need to change anything in the back connections? amps? connectors? etc or was it a fairly simple replacement?

The headunit itself was a very simple retrofit. However, the backup camera was very difficult to get to work. The wiring had to be redone, but I would imagine a skilled audio professional at a reputable shop would be able to figure it out!

It's a toss-up - each Roadster was hand built and I have seen several having completely different wiring despite both being 2.5's.

If you decide to get this headunit installed, please outline your experience! Regrettably, I did not get the chance to outline mine. I know, I'm a horrible person.

• Informative
Reactions: AtAge19
Fitted the Alpine iLX-702 the other day, and it took the guys at the shop about 3 hours (and $350) to get everything up and running. But the bass seems to have been reduced considerably. I have the upgraded audio pack, but don't know exactly which speaker(s) that are supposed to play the lower tones?
20181030_195407_resized.jpg

Fitted the Alpine iLX-702 the other day, and it took the guys at the shop about 3 hours (and $350) to get everything up and running. But the bass seems to have been reduced considerably. I have the upgraded audio pack, but don't know exactly which speaker(s) that are supposed to play the lower tones?
It sounds like they didn't hook up the sub-woofer. It is located behind the left side of the driver's seat, outside the cabin next to the battery. You can tell if it's working properly when you can feel the air pulsing with the low frequencies. Just hold your hand on the left side of your seat about half way down. You might have to turn the volume up a little for this test.

Reactions: Moge
I installed an Alpine INE-W710D, it is an almost plug in replacement for the original. I tested it before i put the dashboard back on and it sounded amazing with deep powerful base. After I had put it all back together and connected the front speakers the sound was flat and with no dynamic. I haven't had time to investigate, but I'm starting to wonder if the front speakers are out of phase with the back speakers.

Definitely look into the Alpine iLX-107. It has wireless and works effortlessly in the Roadster. My buddy & I stuck one in his 2.5 and it completely upgraded the car in the best possible way.

View attachment 327871

So it appears there was a dash modification of the Roadster? I’ve got VIN #609 and there’s not space for the CarPlay screen. I’ve got a JVC head unit, and while I would like to stick with the original equipment, it suck so bad, Bluetooth doesn’t work right, and it sounds terrible. Where did your buddy get the dash conversion?

So it appears there was a dash modification of the Roadster? I’ve got VIN #609 and there’s not space for the CarPlay screen. I’ve got a JVC head unit, and while I would like to stick with the original equipment, it suck so bad, Bluetooth doesn’t work right, and it sounds terrible. Where did your buddy get the dash conversion?

From VIN 964 onwards, the Roadster 2.5 had the option for an Infotainment Group, which gave a Double-DIN setup integrated in the dash. For a short amount of time, Tesla upgraded older cars to this for a steep price, as it’s quite labor-intensive. Some say it’s still possible if you can get your hands on all of the parts. There are a few threads on this floating around.

From VIN 964 onwards, the Roadster 2.5 had the option for an Infotainment Group, which gave a Double-DIN setup integrated in the dash. For a short amount of time, Tesla upgraded older cars to this for a steep price, as it’s quite labor-intensive. Some say it’s still possible if you can get your hands on all of the parts. There are a few threads on this floating around.
Very helpful. All the threads that I’ve seen seem pretty old. I haven’t had the Roadster that long, so am trying to do the things that used to be easy when Tesla supported the vehicles. Really wish they’d give away the IP so more companies would support it. If I could find the dash parts and someone to do it, it might be worth the money. But there is a dearth if information some 9 years later.

As my Alpine unit is flipping - navigation does not work anymore, no screen comes up on incoming calls - I am looking for a replacement.

@jnordeng: you state that the Alpine INE-W710D is an almost plugin replacement. Can you briefly describe what you had to modify to get it installed and functioning? And were you able to correct the flat and dynamic sound problems? And how about the rear view camera? Did that hook up without any modifications?

As my Alpine unit is flipping - navigation does not work anymore, no screen comes up on incoming calls - I am looking for a replacement.

@jnordeng: you state that the Alpine INE-W710D is an almost plugin replacement. Can you briefly describe what you had to modify to get it installed and functioning? And were you able to correct the flat and dynamic sound problems? And how about the rear view camera? Did that hook up without any modifications?
This is the scariest part for me, not the backup camera. I've had a lot of bad experiences messing with stock sound systems.

The main connector with power and sound plugs straight into the stereo, you just have too cut one wire. Same goes for the cable from the reversing camera.
Don't buy the mounting frame for the 710, spend 5 minute with a Dremel on the one you got.
The flat sound is the same problem we have all experienced, it's the original amplifier. It usually happens if you stream over bluetooth on high volume.

The main connector with power and sound plugs straight into the stereo, you just have too cut one wire. Same goes for the cable from the reversing camera.
Don't buy the mounting frame for the 710, spend 5 minute with a Dremel on the one you got.
The flat sound is the same problem we have all experienced, it's the original amplifier. It usually happens if you stream over bluetooth on high volume.
This might be a dumb question but is there an aux in, in the 1.5 roaster?

This might be a dumb question but is there an aux in, in the 1.5 roaster?
In the 1.5 Roadster with what sound system? I have the JVC KD-NX5000 that was included for the Signature 100 cars. It was installed with a JVC KS-PD100 adapter module to a 30-pin iPod/iPhone connector. If the audio source was set to EXT-IN it would pick up the signal from the analog audio pins of the 30-pin connector. The iPod adapter could be replaced with a KS-U58 AUX Input Adapter that presents a 3.5mm stereo plug or with a KS-U57 Line Input Adapter that presents a cable with two female RCA jacks.

So, with this JVC, if your question was "where is the 3.5mm audio jack that I can plug into", the short answer is there isn't one.

Since this thread is about the Alpine sound system, if that's what you meant you may ignore the above, but the answer may be similar.

In the 1.5 Roadster with what sound system? I have the JVC KD-NX5000 that was included for the Signature 100 cars. It was installed with a JVC KS-PD100 adapter module to a 30-pin iPod/iPhone connector. If the audio source was set to EXT-IN it would pick up the signal from the analog audio pins of the 30-pin connector. The iPod adapter could be replaced with a KS-U58 AUX Input Adapter that presents a 3.5mm stereo plug or with a KS-U57 Line Input Adapter that presents a cable with two female RCA jacks.

So, with this JVC, if your question was "where is the 3.5mm audio jack that I can plug into", the short answer is there isn't one.

Since this thread is about the Alpine sound system, if that's what you meant you may ignore the above, but the answer may be similar.
The one I'm asking about has the double din upgrade with the original Alpine unit and the electronics package /group upgrade

I installed an Alpine INE-W710D, it is an almost plug in replacement for the original. I tested it before i put the dashboard back on and it sounded amazing with deep powerful base. After I had put it all back together and connected the front speakers the sound was flat and with no dynamic. I haven't had time to investigate, but I'm starting to wonder if the front speakers are out of phase with the back speakers.
It's tough to see the speed odometer in a Roadster for taller people. Does this display the speed like the old Alpine does?