Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprisingly pleasant Tesla service visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I know that many of us have at least one suboptimal Tesla service experience we could share. My sub-20K mile used S75D MS was in the shop within a couple of weeks of purchase this summer to adjust the front cameras (autopilot was unavailable without the adjustment) and just last week to replace the battery coolant heater (!); so, that's two defect trips since June.

Both of the visits were very professional (if undesirable), but this last one was surprisingly positive. When I arrived to drop off the car, the tech was on top of the coolant heater issue; it would take two days (a day longer than I'd have thought, but whatever).

I re-mentioned that the back hatch lift had been unreliable, occasionally unlocking but not lifting (I'd included it in my service request, but it wasn't accounted for in the service ticket and I couldn't replicate it on video so, I figured nothing would come of it). Just the day before (as luck would have it), I'd noticed what was probably a nail in one tire; I asked what it would cost for a plug or replacement: $75 or $300-$400, respectively. HOLY CRAP! No freakin' way would I pay that for those, so I said no, thank you. (We have a really good, inexpensive tire service company in our area...) Off I went in my Uber-credit funded Uber....

Fast forward to service completion. The coolant heater was under warranty, as expected. But what surprised me was that, even without any "proof" of the lift arm failure, they replaced both arms, under warranty! And, then, they said that they'd "found" a nail in the tire during a test drive (I don't get that) and had plugged it FOR FREE.

So, number one, the overall service visit was as good as you could expect, minus a free loaner 2021 Model S LR or something. Number two, without any proof that i could offer, they replaced the two lift arms under warranty (I have no idea how much those go for). Number three, even after I told them not to bother, they plugged the tire (a $25-$180 savings for me).

I'm not sure I could ask for anything better.

Todd

PS. If anyone wonders, this is the CS location in Rockville, MD.

Excellent report. Maybe things are looking up... One can hope!

I actually had a pretty good remote service experience whilst having issues with my MCU about 2 weeks ago. It required numerous texts, but all of the issues were addressed, and there was good response and good follow-through on issues.

I had the coolant heater fixed in 2 hours once. Car gave warning and I took it in on a Sunday night. There was some texting with estimates (happened at 80k miles) and I authorized the repair around 10am and it was done at noon. So you should be mad about the 2 days.
I had my struts replaced under warranty also - took 2 trips for that though.
Raleigh service has always been pretty good. I think a lot of the really bad stuff is in CA.

I had the coolant heater fixed in 2 hours once. Car gave warning and I took it in on a Sunday night. There was some texting with estimates (happened at 80k miles) and I authorized the repair around 10am and it was done at noon. So you should be mad about the 2 days.
I had my struts replaced under warranty also - took 2 trips for that though.
Raleigh service has always been pretty good. I think a lot of the really bad stuff is in CA.

I’ve gotten used to my car sitting unserviced the first day it’s there (due to a backup of other cars needing service). I wish it weren’t so.

Reactions: rickyjb
Forums like this tend to have a more negative tone. The thinking is that if you are happy with your car/service, you have no reason to post about it online. It is still nice to hear good experiences.

I have had nothing but good service experiences in the few times I've brought my car in for service so far. I do think it's a little more challenging in areas where the ratio of cars to service centers is more disparate.

Hi all,

I re-mentioned that the back hatch lift had been unreliable, occasionally unlocking but not lifting (I'd included it in my service request, but it wasn't accounted for in the service ticket and I couldn't replicate it on video so, I figured nothing would come of it).

Mine has this issue also (sometimes). It almost looks like when activated the hatch is already lifting while the locking mechanism releases a tenth of a second to late and then the hatch stops because it thinks it has to much weight resistance.