Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprisingly rapid 8.1 software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Tomorrow will be one week after accepting delivery, and when I got home this afternoon from an errand and parked, as I was about to exit the car, I noticed an announcement on my console that an update was available. No mention was made of the software version to be installed. I elected to install at that moment, noting that the estimated required time for the update was 1h40m, and went inside to work. Later I noted completion notifications on my iPhone -- but the process had apparently taken just 4m! This seemed a bit odd (I have not yet connected with any Wi-Fi networks from the car), but when I returned to the vehicle, the console displayed a description of changes to the system since the last update. There was still no mention of the software version now in place, so I had to pull up the vehicle display by pressing the Tesla icon at the
top of the console, which revealed that 8.1 was now installed. I looked at the online manual to see if the changes document was now part of the manual, but did not see any evidence that that was the case. So this newbie has a number of questions/comments:

1) Is this discrepancy between predicted and actual time required unusual?

2) Is the displayed list of changes available elsewhere for later review (I took pics of the screen content using my iPhone)?

3) Does the built-in manual get updated as part of a software update?

4) It seems odd that the update announcement and changes displays do not include a version number.

I was very impressed by the experience and by the new features that are now available, and look forward to using them (especially seat back and headrest controls I had been unaware of).