Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprisingly with Bolt, Model 3, and Leaf II eminent, used EV prices are rising rather than falling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a combination of a few things.

The used prices were really excessively depressed to the point where people started getting some amazing deals.

You had a lot of people hearing about EV's, but hadn't really tried them. Like my boss wouldn't even test drive my Model S, but ended up getting his daughter a used leaf. Now he's likely going to get the next generation Leaf for his wife. He doesn't like the Model S/X because he feels as if they're too expensive, and the Model 3 is way too far away.

There also seems to be some large demand in some areas. Like I heard that in Alaska the leafs were selling like hot cakes. Apparently people liked them because in Alaska you have lots of places to plug in. Since you have to plug in an ICE car anyways.

That's brilliant, of course, there are plugs for engine block warmers in almost every parking space in Fairbanks, it is perfect for EV's! (if they can accept some range loss due to subzero temps)

0108_alaska-cold.jpg

I had my used Leaf listed for only one day on Craigslist. It is no longer available yet here we are two weeks later, the listing long gone but I am still getting calls. Then, a friend of mine listed his for 2 or 3 hours before selling his Leaf. Again, this was two weeks ago. He is still getting calls. Demand must be very high!

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
We had a Fiat 500e go off-lease at the end of last year. So we bought a cheap used 2013 Leaf in January to hold us over until we get the Model 3. We spent $6,500 for that car (base model with backup cam, 6.6kW and DC charging options only). A quick check on Craigslist shows the cheapest 2013 with those options is now $8,500! Who knew buying a used Leaf would have been a good financial investment!!! Assuming I can sell mine at that price in a few months, the $2k profit basically covers insurance, new tires, and electricity basically making it a totally free transportation for a year!

Reactions: gene and GoTslaGo