TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

survey: debadge the roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by nuipisqo, Aug 27, 2015.

?

keep or remove rear tesla badge

1. keep it

48 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. remove it

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nuipisqo

nuipisqo Member

2. LST

LST Senior Member

I see no reason to debadge the Roadster. After all it will be a collectors car soon, so keep it as unchanged as possible.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm still surprised that after more than 4 years I still get asked on an almost daily basis "What is that car?" or "Is that a Lotus?".

I don't get the point of debadging.

4. Habious

Habious Member

I can understand if you bought a Chevy Camero RS...because you couldn't afford the ZL1...you'd want to debadge it so that the average person wouldn't know what a broke-a$$ sumbitch you are.

But, this is a Tesla. Why would you be embarrassed to let everyone know it's a Tesla...YOUR Tesla?

5. Chillout

Chillout Member

I got my car without any badges.. the previous owner took them off for some reason. I put an Autobots badge on the rear for fun.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#6 wiztecy, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    I've been more around looking at the idea of creating high quality "T E S L A" badges / emblems for the Roadster. The earlier engineering prototypes and possibly sigs had decals and they didn't look all that bad. I actually prefer the look really. Pic at bottom. Take noticed of the old style tail-lights.

Personally I hate the plastic emblems and it does not reflect a $100k plus car that's a true automotive icon.

With decals you can change it up whenever you like and cater to your style. Lastly you don't have to be so delicate around the rear emblems while washing the Roadster. I might have managed to pull off a letter as well as Tesla.

Also with the decals, you can carefully measure where the original ones are, documenting it, and remove them. Then if you ever want to bring it back to stock you can and the letters will be preserved and most likely not lost.

I know that once you remove the Tesla badging from the rear the "mass" of people who admire the car won't know what type of car it is (as Nigel indicated happens with the badging). Also you'll get more people incorrectly labeling the Roadster as a "Lotus" production car which we all know its not.

[​IMG]

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

This ^^^^

8. gregd

gregd Member

My 2.0 came without the rear badging. I asked the service center guys if they knew what happened, or why people did that (seems odd to me too), and he said that the letters tended to fall off, so instead of re-attaching, some owners just take them all off. {sigh}

My own inclination is to have them put back on. I feel it's almost a duty as a Roadster owner to let people know, without a doubt, what the car is. We can't change the world's view of electric cars if we hide.

9. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

That's a lame excuse! If they used a bad glue, they need to change it and use a better one!

10. GVTesla

GVTesla Member

I'm afraid that it might not be an excuse. On my RS one part of the E was missing several months after I took delivery. It had decided to come off all by itself and without any consultation or warning. After I reported it, a ranger fixed it when he was around by replacing it with a (better glued) new one. Ever since, none of the (parts of) the letters have gone missing.

11. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Mine is debadged. Prior owner did it when the car was vinyl wrapped. I decided to keep it that way - but I like the way yours looks better with the badge.

If you do debadge - you need to take off all of them, not just TESLA.

12. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

I rebadged #992 with a Tesla Decal running down the side. I thought this would take the guess work out of, "What kind of car it that?"
    NOT....
    One guy walked up to me and acused me of putting the decal on a Lotus to make everybody think I am rich!!!
    I was so surprised that I couldn't think of anything to say before he walked away. Well my immediate reaction was "Moron!!" but I stopped myself from saying that and slipped into dumbfounded!

13. spiderguy

spiderguy Member

I think that the font they used for "TESLA" was a great choice. The badge looks prestigious and without it, the rear looks barren. The only gripe I have is that it is so easy to snag and break off the individual letters with a cloth when washing or drying the car.

14. nuipisqo

nuipisqo Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. If you look in the pictures, the last bar of the E fell off when I took it to a detailer.

How, I have to find a way to get it reattached.

15. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

#15 TOBASH, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    I will be in a clear minority, but I prefer debadged cars. They look cleaner. I know what I drive, and I don't need to advertise.

Call me a product of "High Sierra", but "Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges".

Best,

T

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Vote is looking really close.

Not.

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Try your local body shop...I almost lost the same bar on the "E"...a body shop should have this sticky "gum like" black stuff that they can apply to the back of the piece...mine's still on there 3 years later...

18. bolosky

bolosky Member

Fixing my A

WP_20150413_001.jpg
    I lost the bar on the top of the A on my badge. Tesla sold me a new badge (the whole thing) for $29.62 + tax.

19. spiderguy

spiderguy Member

I bet that the "E" is the most commonly damaged letter, followed by "A", since these letters are comprised of 3 & 2 pieces, respectively. I bought a Roadster with a missing middle bar in the "E" and I didn't even notice it until a couple of months later. I initially thought that I must have inadvertently caught a cloth on the piece and pulled it off. However, when I went back to the delivery pictures, I could see that the car came that way.

20. cswolfe

cswolfe Member

Well, here's to hoping I have the same experience. :) Only had my roadster a short time, and I just noticed that the top bar of the "A" is missing, no big, but I sure hope I can score the whole badge for the same price. :) Even though it's no big deal, I had better get on it, as I've found even in my limited experience, that once a Tesla roadster part is not in stock, "good luck."

Purple #744