Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey Do You Need a UMC?

Survey. Do You Need a UMC?

• Yes: I use it as my main charger

Votes: 98 28.0%
  • Yes: I use it occasionally

Votes: 116 33.1%
  • Yes: I never use it but like to have it for emergencies

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • No: Don't need it. Won't be getting one

Votes: 35 10.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really.
A) who does that?
B) if I run out of fuel I will need a filling station and they sell Jerrycans (can we still call them that?). So no real need to carry one..not so easy to get hold of a UMC in an emergency
Jerry cans still available as per original design. Search YouTube for video on their history and design if you want the crazy detail (actually fascinating).

Reactions: SpareHeadOne
We use ours when charging at family/friends’ houses. They don’t have EVs so no point them having an EVSE however if we’re staying overnight they’re generally happy for us to plug in. No need to go out of our way to charge up and means we can just be on our way the following day.

Reactions: Adopado and Matt125
I keep the UMC in the frunk for emergencies, or, for charging when visiting family in Normandy. I think Tesla should continue to provide the UMC as well as the Type 2 charging cable.

And it’s raised a question. If Tesla stop including the UMC, should I keep it when I trade in or sell my Model 3 for a Model Y in June? Surely if Tesla don’t offer the UMC with a new car I’d be entitled to keep it?

If Tesla stop including the UMC, should I keep it when I trade in or sell my Model 3 for a Model Y in June?

If you already have an order then you will get whatever was in the spec at the time you ordered (or a refund / somesuch). So I reckon all new cars will be coming with the UMC for some time ... and at some point "new orders" will no longer include the UMC

But that apart ...

The Trade In has a list of what you are required to provide - e.g. the "keys"

Apart form the keys I've never known Tesla check anything, but I haven't tried nicking the cables, seats and steering wheel to see if they subsequently objected! so maybe they won't care if you keep the UMC ... but maybe they will.

I reckon as soon as the UMC changes to an option that Tesla will have that problem with Trade-Ins ... maybe they will change policy and no longer require the UMC to be included

If you already have an order then you will get whatever was in the spec at the time you ordered (or a refund / somesuch)

Hmmm just read an update to the article on Electrek about this:

"Update 2: According to Tesla’s chat, unless you’ve already delivery, Mobile chargers are now no longer included even though they were at time of purchase."

(That is for USA ... and the UMC is "out of stock" .... Hahaha ... couldn't make this stuff up)

I've never known Tesla not honour order-time prices / options etc. - except when the price went down, when they have historically provided a refund.

I use the UMC quite regularly on camping trips in the UK and likely will on future road trips in Europe. I would need to buy one if purchasing new and I guess Tesla know that many will do similar. Sod handing it back!

Hmmm just read an update to the article on Electrek about this:

"Update 2: According to Tesla’s chat, unless you’ve already delivery, Mobile chargers are now no longer included even though they were at time of purchase."

(That is for USA ... and the UMC is "out of stock" .... Hahaha ... couldn't make this stuff up)

I've never known Tesla not honour order-time prices / options etc. - except when the price went down, when they have historically provided a refund.
Having placed an order a couple of weeks ago I won't be best pleased if it's now not included. I will probably be using this quite regularly..

Indeed, it looks like about a quarter of people responding on this thread use it as their main charge point!
With the government grant having ended, I was planning to use the 3 pin to start with to see if it 'works' for our needs. We only really use the car at weekends and typically for longish journeys, and my thinking is that a trickle charge should be sufficient most of the time to keep the car at least 50% charged which will get us as far as we'd usually need to get, with Supercharging/Rapid charging costs when needed unlikely to be high enough to justify the price of a 7kw installation. I may end up getting a fast charger installed at some point but mainly for convenience I think, and am in no rush. I'll be asking Tesla when I get the chance whether they are going to include a UMC in my order.

I'll be asking Tesla when I get the chance whether they are going to include a UMC in my order.
UK website still states it is included with the vehicle (for now).

1650278251127.png

1650278337126.png

Reactions: Andyb5
Tesla will do whatever makes them the most money - remember the debate regarding people having paid for FSD? - Tesla initially stated the package belonged to the owner - so when the car was sold on a new owner would have to purchase the option to have the FSD (They clearly anticipated FSD would be a "must have" for most owners)- and that lasted until many owners bought a second Tesla and asked for FSD to be transferred to their new car - then they argued the pack belonged to the car - that "confused state" continued for a few months and Tesla had lawsuits threatened - so they made a decision - FSD stays with the car for all private sales - sales back to Tesla and they (as the owner) could then remove the feature if they chose to.

For a company - or to be more accurate Musk - that says the journey towards full BEVs is not about the money but saving the planet and humanity, it seems they are very amenable towards removing petty items to save a few pennies - like the hooks in the frunk and carpet.
I know a few pennies times hundreds of thousands of vehicles adds up to a tidy sum but the cars are not exactly cheap are they? Their profits are enormous. It doesn't matter how much anything costs to build only how much money it makes, and Tesla have no shortage of customers.

I don't see any advantage in penny pinching in the long term, The VAG group are the biggest rivals to the future of Tesla and VAG are learning from Tesla how to do it - It also seems Tesla are learning from VAG too with their "Make everything optional" policy - Porsche in particular - pretty much everything is an optional extra.

Mine gets used a few times each year when we go to one of our parents, they don't have an EV nor a charger, so we use the 3pin.

At home, we have one of the two EV's always using it's 3pin charger.

While we're still at the start of the growth phase of EV's, I think it makes a lot of sense to include a charger with each and every EV.

I was planning to use the 3 pin to start with to see if it 'works' for our needs

my thinking is that a trickle charge should be sufficient most of the time

Might be worth doing some "sums" as to whether a cheap overnight tariff, which would only provide 4 hours charging, changes the sums at all? 4 hour overnight rate 1/4 of day rate ... if you are charging from 13AMP I think it likely that at times you will be charging at peak rate. Dunno if that provides enough saving to offset against a wall charger (for low mileage that's clearly not essential, but it is convenient when you have back-to-back days when you want to do 200+ miles each day.

I suspect we have a modest array tucked away on a roof to the side of the house that’s not easy to see

Maybe you can see it on Google Maps Satellite view?

For a company - or to be more accurate Musk - that says the journey towards full BEVs is not about the money but saving the planet and humanity
Their profits are enormous

Isn't that the point?

No dividends, so profits not distributed to anyone.

So the profits are available to plough back into more factories, models, development, diversification into Lithium mining, etc.

Which I think exactly fits racing ahead with moving the whole planet to BEVs.