Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: is the model Y the “perfect” all around EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here I am on month 3 of my MYP. Many things I wasn’t sure about I am now very used to and in some cases prefer (such as no braking). I am an engineer and I find myself constantly looking around the vehicle and seeing how it’s just simple, built efficiently, fun to drive, and literally checks all the boxes for most people in terms of roominess and comfort.

I used to think my old for fusion energi was the “perfect car” until my battery lost 25% capacity in the first year. Hence why I was not even going to consider the mustang (which I thought looked great BTW).

The range on this thing is much better than what I expected from the reviews but I live in Florida where it’s warm and flat so I could see why others might have different opinions.

What impresses me most is when I look at how Tesla has designed this thing so that they could put it together with ease and crank them out faster than any other experienced manufacturer is an unbelievable feat of engineering. Most big manufacturing companies lose 80% efficiency just from red tape and the structure of the business while Tesla is the opposite.

Am I overshooting on the statement on how this could just be the “perfect car”?

I love my Model Y.

My only recurring problem is range tanks when I put bikes on it. I mountain bike and end up in remote places with bikes on the back. Range is a frequent issue. Cybertruck should help since bike can be inside.

Reactions: house9
I just went past the one year mark on my MYP and for me personally, who has kids to drive around and a small dog, it's been pretty close to perfect. Heck, if Elon ever give us the goddamn Track Mode and they add the shuffle button they forgot to include in the Tidal app, I'm not sure if there's anything else I'd be asking for in this car.

I don't think it's perfect but I do think it's the best option available for me right now. There are lots of little improvements I'd like to see on the MY but every time I use another car (rent cars a lot) I think about how much worse they are overall. I always miss my car, no matter how nice the rental car I'm driving is.

Reactions: Dayreg
After more than two years of Y ownership, I'd say it's a very good car but far from perfect. It could be quieter at speed. The suspension is stiff. The minimizing of controls is too extreme: just a few more buttons and knobs, please, for wipers, glove box. The screen fonts are too small. The music and radio controls are more awkward than on many cars. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto. The voice commands work well, until they don't. Automatic wipers and automatic climate works well, until it doesn't. If the front passenger seat reclined more I could stuff in my kayak as I did with my Toyota. There's no center pass-through for the occasional long object. The software updates giveth, and they taketh away. The center screen has room for a lot more one-tap controls but wastes a lot of space, forcing drivers to go through more menus. I'd still like the usual blind spot light in the sideview mirrors. Etc.

No other EV, or car, is perfect either.

If the front passenger seat reclined more I could stuff in my kayak as I did with my Toyota.
You can remove the headrest on the passenger seat for more room. Still not super, but better. Can carry an inflated SUP and recently hauled home a handful of 10' deck boards and some 8's. Would like it more if the seat arrangement allowed for better carefree carrying.

systemr, big ditto on the turning radius being crappy. Blind spot monitor in mirrors and rear x-traffic alert would be good too.

But LOVE the car!

No doubt -- exceptional car.
I hope that prices come down so that it can take over the world
I’m actually hoping that is the game plan. Keep the price normal while you continue to make production super efficient and then lower it and control the market.

on a similar but different note, I was complaining that the superchargers were too expensive until someone told me that all SC profits go toward expansion and once that normalizes, rates will go down.

Reactions: cdub and SageBrush
For the size and features I think so (so far). Haven’t been in an EV6 or Ionic yet so can’t say for sure. Compared to my ICE experiences (X3, NX, CRV, Rav 4) I would say yes

Edit: whoops sorry read as all around SUV! Compared to the Mach-E yes. Would like to see Kia, Hyundai and ID4

For my purposes the MYLR was the best a year ago when the price was cheaper (I locked in around $77k CDN.
Today's price, with the options I selected, put the car in the $95k range (CDN). That is almost the same price as the BMW iX 50, which in my opinion is much nicer (yes I actually like the look). We've got an iX on order so I will be able to do a deeper comparison in 6 months.

The Y has the iX beat in a few areas (tech updates, 7 seats, faster charging), but I found the ride and material quality of the BMW significantly better which is more important for me. Plus I only charge at home so the SC network doesn't really matter to me. Of course YMMV.

I think when it was at 49k-53k it was “near perfect” but now at like 65k hell no
I personally can’t ignore the little quirks that could be better for an EV suv at that new price

Wind noise could be better at high speeds

Suspension while i think its fine for me i do believe could be better in this segment for people looking for more comfort

A track mode

Camera blindspot when it was added was huge but damn having the little light on mirror also should have been a thing too when cars 40k cheaper have it

I will add i got the MY when it was 51k
But at the proce point it is now i would have never probably considered it