Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: is the model Y the “perfect” all around EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never said the majority don’t like it, but a significant number don’t, and that includes professional reviewers, too. Just looking around easily confirms that if you’re not drunk on Boone’s Farm. If you’re happy with cheap wine I won’t try to convince you there’s something better.
I am just trying to say that 10-20 people complaining about ride quality on this forum is very insignificant number compare to the total number of MY/MYP owners in the world who have no issue with it.

Last edited:
Nope, not perfect: I should be able to answer and hang up the phone without using the touchscreen; it should have blind spot warning; it should have a 360 degree view, especially given all the cameras it has; it should have a smaller turning radius; it should have the ability to (almost) fully recline the passenger seat to accommodate long cargo.

Not perfect, but very good and, right now I think it is the best of the bunch. We'll see what the future holds in 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Two days into ownership, I mostly love it, but I'm really surprised and distressed at how horrible the visibility in the rearview mirror is. This is my first time driving a Y, they only had a Model 3 when we did a test drive a year ago. I've spent plenty of time driving vehicles with no rearview mirror, so I'm used to using my side mirrors, but with all that glass you'd think they could have done better. Or put a camera in the back and a small display where the rearview mirror goes.
I initially found the rearview similar to looking through a mail slot, but I got used to it pretty quick and now I don't notice how small it is even when I'm jumping back into the MYP after driving another vehicle with normal sized rearview (such as my mom's fat etron). I guess if you're concerned with rearview before you get used to it, you can activate the rear camera as a supplement.

Reactions: GSP
Two days into ownership, I mostly love it, but I'm really surprised and distressed at how horrible the visibility in the rearview mirror is. This is my first time driving a Y, they only had a Model 3 when we did a test drive a year ago. I've spent plenty of time driving vehicles with no rearview mirror, so I'm used to using my side mirrors, but with all that glass you'd think they could have done better. Or put a camera in the back and a small display where the rearview mirror goes.
Agree that the view out the back is poor but I can see if there’s a car behind me when I’m driving and the backup camera is excellent so I’ve not found it to be a significant issue.

Reactions: GSP

It’s one of the major issues I’ve had with the Y. The tiny view is fine in normal weather but in heavy rains I’m rear blinded. The Y would benefit from a digital rear view mirror.

The 3 does not have this issue.

I think EV crossovers should have rear wipers… it’s one think I like about the Mach-E and ID.4 and why I also hesitate about buying an Ioniq 5 and EV6 (AWD range concerns about those two actually).

Reactions: sleepydoc
Not perfect but works for what I want.
I would want more options in colors and models...i.e. the Mach has a GT variant with different valences and body kit. There is literally 6 white model Y's that look identical that are parked down the street from me near some condos. Teslas are ubiquitous and just boring to look at now. My previous 4Runner and E92 were more more exciting to look at...heck even my X3 was. I don't turn around to look at my MYP when I park it cause there's usually another 10 in the same lot.

I would want more options in colors and models...i.e. the Mach has a GT variant with different valences and body kit. There is literally 6 white model Y's that look identical that are parked down the street from me near some condos. Teslas are ubiquitous and just boring to look at now. My previous 4Runner and E92 were more more exciting to look at...heck even my X3 was. I don't turn around to look at my MYP when I park it cause there's usually another 10 in the same lot.
Stop buying white Tesla cars then! :cool: Pay more and get Red instead. I have not seen any red MYP in my area yet.

This is why people get them wrapped. Teslas are a dime a dozen in my area as well. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 turn heads here.

Just wait until CT comes out and all eyes on the CT.
If you believe that CT will come out any time soon in it's current form, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

It's been 3 years and not a peep. Also, there's a lot of regulatory hurdles it must cross before it can be in production (wheels protruding, exoskeleton, etc.). By then, the F-150s of the world will dominate the market which will make Tesla rethink their version of the pickup truck.

Reactions: cdub
If you believe that CT will come out any time soon in it's current form, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

It's been 3 years and not a peep. Also, there's a lot of regulatory hurdles it must cross before it can be in production (wheels protruding, exoskeleton, etc.). By then, the F-150s of the world will dominate the market which will make Tesla rethink their version of the pickup truck.
Haha. have you seen the news lately regarding the CT? Those wheels are well under the wheel well/arch, and not sure what you are talking about the exoskeleton. Do you even know what the exoskeleton is? LOL

I am beyond lost words at the following comment. LOL

"F-150s of the world will dominate the market"

Current average F150 Lightening cost is around $100k plus and not many people can afford that kind of money for the toy.

Last edited:
Haha. have you seen the news lately regarding the CT? Those wheels are well under the wheel well/arch, and not sure what you are talking about the exoskeleton. Do you even know what the exoskeleton is? LOL

I am beyond lost words at the following comment. LOL

"F-150s of the world will dominate the market"

Current average F150 Lightening cost is around $100k plus and not many people can afford that kind of money for the toy.

I believe "exoskeleton" is the term Elon used to describe the outer shell of the CT. The outer shell is also the frame of the vehicle unlike other production cars that have a frame and an outer body that crumples during accidents.

If F150s cost around $100k plus, the CT will cost more than that if it ever comes out.

I believe "exoskeleton" is the term Elon used to describe the outer shell of the CT. The outer shell is also the frame of the vehicle unlike other production cars that have a frame and an outer body that crumples during accidents.
I am 100% sure that Elon wants to sell the CT, not to show off during the events only. I am also 100% sure that Tesla will not invent the wheels that do not meet the current regulation just to be different than others.
Most cars are unibody cars meaning their frame is also body. Large trucks and suvs have body on frames. I am sure the CT falls under either of those or in between well within the laws and regulations.

I'll offer you $35,00. Always wanted to own a bridge.

With now 64,000 miles I must say our Model Y has provided many days of smiles per mile. I don't get the suspension concern. Sure our Model X is more of a plush ride but the Y is so much more fun to drive. From SCCA to Track racing I think it handles so well for what it is. For any spirited driving, the Model Y offers great confidence in it's ability. From Muscle car to sports cars, the Model Y is just fun to get out on the road and let her rip.

MSR in Houston

messages_0 - 2022-09-19T141917.606.jpeg

SCCA in Lake Charles

I don't get the suspension concern. Sure our Model X is more of a plush ride but the Y is so much more fun to drive. From SCCA to Track racing I think it handles so well for what it is
The overwhelming majority of MY drivers are not driving on a track, they’re driving to work. Having a stiff (=harsh) suspension that’s suitable for track driving makes little sense for a compact SUV that’s more likely to be a family car, especially for the LR version. It would make more sense to either offer a separate ‘sport suspension’ package or let the 2% of people who want to race their MY to get their own upgrade.

The overwhelming majority of MY drivers are not driving on a track, they’re driving to work. Having a stiff (=harsh) suspension that’s suitable for track driving makes little sense for a compact SUV that’s more likely to be a family car, especially for the LR version. It would make more sense to either offer a separate ‘sport suspension’ package or let the 2% of people who want to race their MY to get their own upgrade.
yet, overwhelming majority of MY/MYP drivers don't have any issue with the how their MY/MYPs ride.