Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: Maximum you would pay to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2?

What is the maximum you would be willing to pay to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I'm not entirely clear on yet is if you retain free premium data connectivity for life if you elect to do the upgrade assuming you had it previously on your MCU1. I'm already of the mindset that $2,500 is too much for a snappier web browser and video games (both of which I'll never use) but if I also have to sacrifice premium data on top of that then it's a big hell no from me.

I think we are going to be okay and keep out free premium. Here's why. From the page.

Upgrade require a Premium Connectivity subscription of $9.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may already have Premium Connectivity. Confirm your status in your Tesla Account.

Notice how it says, You may already have Premium Connectivity? Its not conditional on paying for it. It even points you to your own account to see if you are included. Personally, I think this answers the question. But you will still have opportunities to verify before you commit.

So the answer is...

$2500 and you lose AM/FM/XM radio - since we listen to FM (HD radio) and XM almost all of the time, this upgrade is a big NO.

AM/FM is important to both my wife and me so unless our MCU1 fails we will hold off on upgrading. Hopefully by the time we get around to upgrading there will be an option for at least FM radio...I can live without 5GHz WiFi. If I understand things correctly, our router does both 2.4GHz and 5GHz just fine.

Losing AM is probably OK, since many of the AM stations are also broadcast on HD-radio, available through the FM tuner.

And many of these stations are also available in the built-in TuneIn app.

What's missing is support for live sports which requires TuneIn Premium or the XM streaming app - neither of which are currently supported in Tesla vehicles.

Just to close this out, my mcu did die and I did pay for the upgrade. Was well worth it to me and the small things like more solid Bluetooth connections, faster maps/internet, and never needing to reboot were what made it so. I do like the occassional Netflix or Hulu while charging too! And yes I kept my unlimited data.

Reactions: SO16