TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Survey says people want EVs

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-business-blotter/2011/01/11/ibm-study-shows-strong-consumer-interest-in-electric-cars

Finally one that points out what I have been saying. Studies like JD Powers just ask people if they think they will buy an EV in the future but that does not factor in their neighbor, coworker and favorite rockstar buying one next year and them raving about how great it is. You can ask people what they will buy in five years. They don't know what they don;t know.

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

2020 is 9 years away. If battery technology improves and EVs catch on faster, ICE sales may peak sooner.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Market research for a fundamentally new product is beyond useless. What people SAY they want has absolutely nothing to do with what they'll actually BUY once the real-world opportunity arises. When you're on the bleeding edge there's really nothing to do but build it and find out if they'll come.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#4 vfx, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    A guy at Ford worked for 10 years trying to convince them that Soccer Moms needed Mini Vans. They never had one request for one in all those years.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Exactly my point. An acquaintance of mine makes optical design software. Years ago it was a DOS product, and he surveyed his customers to see if it was worth switching to Windows. The response came back 98% against. He decided to ignore his customers and do it anyway. His sales nearly quadrupled overnight.

It does, of course, work the other way as well.