TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Survey: Tesla as primary car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Olle, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Olle

Olle Member

#1 Olle, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    I have read a lot of anti Tesla articles and comments saying that "all" Model S owners have a fossil car as primary car and use the Model S as either a toy or a city hum about. The fossil car is then supposedly used for most out of town driving and for all important driving. But when I meet Tesla owners in real life it seems the Model S is often the primary car, even used for road trips. This is true in my case too and now I am confused. So I created a little survey:

Vote
    :
    Tesla as primary car Survey
    Result:
    Welcome to SurveyMonkey!

PS. for Roadsters I can understand if it is not the primary, I am referring to Model S only in this poll

Update Aug 25th 10AM: Survey now closed, it was only open for one day. We got 100 answers first day and from the first 100 it was 100% Tesla as primary! from the text responses that came in after I can see two who have ICE as primary. So it seems around 98% Tesla primary car.

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

3. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I'm pretty confident that a majority of Model S cars are primary cars. Why wouldn't they be? I will be buying a Tesla in the next year or so, and it will be my primary car.

The only catch is areas that do not have good supercharger coverage yet, but supercharger coverage improves every day.

4. Olle

Olle Member

Yes thats a good one. That poll was for daily driver though. I am trying to find out if people have a fossil car for road trips and critical driving even though the Tesla is the daily.

5. davidc18

davidc18 Member

We kept our Honda Odyssey because we need the room for our kids = if they ever get the X out the door, we would be part of its target audience.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Generally, those who think the Tesla is not a primary car have never had one. However, many Tesla owners have kept their ICE as a backup only to sell it within about six months of ownership because they found they just never drove it. The exception is those with a minivan or some such where they sometimes need three full rows of seats or towing ability.

7. eggy

eggy Member

Not only primary, but only car for a family of 4!

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ummm, my Roadster is my daily driver and for most of the Roadster owners I know that's the case also.

9. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

There are 5 superchargers "near" us, the closest is about 80 miles away, the furthest is 212. Most of our annual driving is long distance. I'll probably end up doing close to 600 miles this week.

The Model S is our primary car. (Our "back-up" is a rusted, dented 1980 BMW 320i with over 200,000 miles on the clock...)

10. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Member

Future model S owner who is keeping our ICE SUV for the sole purpose of taking 3 large dogs places like the dog park. We have already started referring to it as "the dog carrier."

11. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

I was one of those who stupidly kept the ICE car. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Sold it quickly after getting the S. Should have put those dollars into getting a better S.

12. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I really cannot imagine what car would supplant a Model S as a primary car. It's the best all-around car on the market and is pretty much the lowest cost to drive.

I kept my ICE for a year but literally did not drive it once after getting my Model S.

13. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

Only a family of one but my MS is my only car as well.

Peace,
    Father Bill

14. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I feel this should have been posted to be open to the Model X too. I don't have an S, but our Model X is being purchased specifically as our DD. It will also be the one we take on long trips. We will have an ICE car as well, but only because we can't currently afford two Tesla's, but need room for the kids.

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

name them with links

16. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

A Tesla has been our primary car since we got the Roadster in 2009. We have not had a gas car since then, and never plan to have one again.

17. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I only have the Model S now.. had an old 1994 Suburban with a Fisher snowplow on it, but I'm moving to a condo, so no need to own my own snowplow any longer... sold it before last winter. I do miss the trailer hitch.. eventually I'll trade up to Model X, assuming it has trailering capability. Not willing to be an "early adopter" for the Model X though, so late 2016/early 2017 is fine for me.

18. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

The Handicap Parking allows us to keep it away from door dings. I may not have bought the Tesla without this mixed blessing.
    So we use it for all needs, shopping or traveling - except hauling horse hay, still use the Ram for that.
    ~Larry

19. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Wait, there are other cars???

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The National Travel survey says that for the average household trips over 100 miles (trip is one way, I believe) are 1% of trips, but 11% of household miles. So, for Tesla owners I'd expect the normal answer would be *Quizzical look* "Of course."