Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: Tesla as primary car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my first and only car. 95% of my driving is just commuting, the rest is other local things. So far have only charged at home. My family is planning a trip to Yellowstone next year and I intend to take my car. Just need the Gillette Supercharger to close the final gap.

There are three ICE cars (one of them a C-Max Energi PHEV) in the household because I live with four family members, three of which have jobs. The only ICE I've driven more than once since getting my car has been my riding mower, which I hope to replace with a battery riding mower within 2 years (waiting for better options for mowing 1-2 acres). I drove my brother's Explorer for about 20 seconds last month so I could get my car out of the way for HPWC installation, which I was ashamed to find out I didn't have to do since the electrician had to move his truck anyway. My worst issue with that wasn't the keys as would be expected, but the lack of a backup camera or tilting mirrors causing me to back up way onto the grass; also creep felt weird.

Completely opposite

I have a 20 year old Nissan that I drive to work daily, as I wait out the rest of its useful life. The Model S sits in the garage, waiting for our road trip weekends. We drive the S further than I would ever trust driving a gas car. Even up the side of Mt St Helens, well beyond any service stations. And then back down, around to the other side, and up again.

MS is the primary car but we kept a 7 year old Odyssey for 2 reasons: for those 2-3 times a month when my wife and I have to take separate routes for our respective agendas with the proviso that the one with the longer route takes the MS. Secondly, we still use it for cross-country trips on routes with insufficient supercharger availability (I admit that we are too lazy to search for secondary charging facilities).

Looks like I was the 100th respondent in the poll. I'm pleased to report that my response kept it at 100% daily driver!

As for us, the S is my daily driver. My wife still has her gasser, but it has seen fewer miles on it since we take the Tesla most of the time when going as a family. On my two prior cars, we took her car most of the time if we were going some place together...

I have 18 cars including completely restored '49 Fleetwood, '52 Fleetwood, '51 Imperial, and four 1956 Imperials. And a few others. Every one of the ice car restoration projects was undertaken with the plan to take it on long trips. But since I bought Tessie 15 months ago, I have only taken Tessie on the long trips. I take out one of the old restored beauties on some special occasion, usually less that 20 miles round trip, every few weeks. Which car is the most fun to drive? Tessie. Which one gets the most looks (and comments)? That varies.

I've ordered a Model S and I intend to have it as the only car in a family of four, including for roadtrips and all our driving needs. I'm actually expecting that we'll be doing a lot more driving once we have the Model S. We seldom go on roadtrips today, but with a car that's as nice and at the same time economically and environmentally friendly to drive long stretches with, I expect we will in the future. We've already started talking about touring the country (Sweden) next summer, or even going as far as Italy or Croatia on vacation with the car.

The National Travel survey says that for the average household trips over 100 miles (trip is one way, I believe) are 1% of trips, but 11% of household miles.

The problem with the national average is that it's the national average. This would include those who take transit during the week and only drive on the weekend. However, other than on trips, driving 200 miles a day is uncommon. Driving 50 to 70 miles a day is standard.

Wife drives the S every day, I drive an ICE every day. For the forseeable future it'll stay that day. The S is a great family road trip car, but I need a gas powered car to make fast roadtrips. 30 minutes to fill up is fine with the family, when its just me, or I'm with some friends and we're trying to get somewhere, its way to long.

In the last 2.5 years there have only been 2 occasions where we had to take the gasser due to time constraints.
One Friday we had to pick up the kids from school and drive up to Tahoe for a conference/dinner. With traffic delays we just barely made the dinner in time, and stopping for 30-45 min at a supercharger would have put us over. Even if we had an 85 it wouldn't have helped.

The second time was a run to Sacramento for dinner and back after my wife got off work. Again the time constraints meant that stopping at the supercharger would have put us over. In this case, I think if we had an 85 we could have made it.

I think for a 2 car household, a Tesla and a Volt (or some PHEV) is ideal.